PDA

View Full Version : Work Monday July 3rd or call it a long weekend?

HenryB
07-02-2006, 06:33 PM
I'm pretty backed up and would like to get caught up but I'm not sure about interrupting people's holiday weekend?

ThirdDay
07-02-2006, 06:35 PM
Work if your backed up. However, kinda sounds like you want the day off??

Most customers understand schedules...also you could do your commercial accounts if you have any.

ProStreetCamaro
07-02-2006, 06:41 PM
We are working monday and tuesday. Tuesday we will take off at 12 as to not disturb anybodys cookouts or anything like that.

LawnScapers of Dayton
07-02-2006, 06:42 PM
I am doing 4 hours on a retaining wall rebuild tomorrow.......then I am coming home to clean up the shop/barn and get the junk ready for my wifes garage sale....

I work 24 hours at the firehouse on the 4th...

Derek

new2nash
07-02-2006, 07:18 PM
I can't believe anyone who is an owner/operator and is intent on making a serious living at this could even consider taking a holiday completely off. There's enough downtime in winter already. I'm doing a few residentials very early, then a 4 hour commercial job. Hopefully done by noon.

LawnScapers of Dayton
07-02-2006, 07:22 PM
Kudos to the owner/operators who are able to run a business that allows for the day off so that employees and their families are able to celebrate the Fourth of July......

D

lawnboy dan
07-02-2006, 07:41 PM
i have 14 lawns to do tomorrow so i can take the 4th off. i would rather work but it disturbs too many customers who want too sleep late and have cookouts. holidays are a royal pain!

grass_cuttin_fool
07-02-2006, 07:44 PM
Im working tom, moving alot of tuesdays to mon, I have 2 commercials that will be cut tues and I should be home by noon

wayne

HOOLIE
07-02-2006, 07:52 PM
I can't believe anyone who is an owner/operator and is intent on making a serious living at this could even consider taking a holiday completely off. There's enough downtime in winter already. I'm doing a few residentials very early, then a 4 hour commercial job. Hopefully done by noon.

I'll sharpen some blades on the 4th if that'll make you feel better :dizzy:

What's wrong with a day off???

jt5019
07-02-2006, 08:02 PM
Im working on monday so i can get tuesday off. No way could i miss monday and tuesday. If i do come across a cookout ill just skip that house... but i would think most cookouts will be on tuesday anyways.

AL Inc
07-02-2006, 08:12 PM
We're working tommorow, too. Doing our Tuesday lawn route, and working on a patio install. Tuesday we will be off.

Precision
07-02-2006, 08:25 PM
Doing monday work on monday and as much of tuesdays work as we can.

Then tuesday off.

Then do the rest of tues on wed and continue playing catch up all week.

Green-Pro
07-02-2006, 09:30 PM

Wow! You'd maybe better think of booking a room in the cardiac wing of the hospital LOL!

SpikeGT
07-02-2006, 09:31 PM
we will work mon and take tuesday off. we will try and do as much of tuesday accounts tomorrow as we can.

hillndale
07-02-2006, 09:44 PM
Workin' like any other Monday. If I can get any Tuesday people in, I will, otherwise, 1 day delay, weather cooperating of course.

Happy Independance Day Folks!!!

hillndale :headphones:

Jamesgateslandscaping
07-02-2006, 09:51 PM
NO WORK TUESDAY:usflag: :usflag: :usflag:
James

dcondon
07-02-2006, 10:06 PM
Kudos to the owner/operators who are able to run a business that allows for the day off so that employees and their families are able to celebrate the Fourth of July......

D

YUP. we got done mid afternoon on Friday and will start back up first thing on wed. First time ever but we deserve a few days off also.:cool2: :cool2:

govols
07-02-2006, 10:18 PM
We will be off Mon. & Tue. We will work Wed. thru Sat. We will work over during the week so our guys can spend some quality time with their families. We have informed our clients -- no one has a problem with getting mown a couple of days late.

P & L Turf
07-02-2006, 10:31 PM
We're just workin a half day. Maybe till noon or so.

QualityLawnCare4u
07-02-2006, 11:05 PM
Im working tommorow and Tuesday, catching up on some odd jobs I have put off and some crappy shrub jobs.

Cahsking
07-02-2006, 11:24 PM
Mowing Res in the morning on Monday, and Comms in the evening. No work on tues. Sometimes you just gotta sit back and smell the roses. I do plan on doing equip maintance tues morning before the BBQ, and FIReWOrKs!!!

Precision
07-03-2006, 06:40 PM
Worked a few hours extra today (Monday) and added a guy to the crew and got Monday and Tuesday routes done. So there can be rest for the wicked on tuesday.:)

Gene $immons
07-03-2006, 06:46 PM
I have a Mexican worker complaining about working a half day on the 4th. He says "every other company pays double per hour on holidays" Then I said, Fine...we will catch up on Saturday, he bitched about that too.:dizzy:

WJW Lawn
07-03-2006, 07:34 PM
Last time I checked it had to be dark for fireworks....Im working! I agree... you can take off in the winter.

LawnScapers of Dayton
07-03-2006, 07:43 PM
I have a Mexican worker complaining about working a half day on the 4th. He says "every other company pays double per hour on holidays" Then I said, Fine...we will catch up on Saturday, he bitched about that too.:dizzy:

Maybe he needs to go see if they are hiring.......

David Haggerty
07-03-2006, 07:44 PM
Things are slowing down here. Mowed 2 lawns today. Taking the 4th off. Got a keg of Bud on ice. Big cookout tomorrow. I'll be working...grilling all day.
Hope it rains on the 4th so I can get back to mowing. Lawns are drying up.

Dave

lawnboy dan
07-03-2006, 07:47 PM
i found a commercial to do tomorrow so i am working on the 4th now too.

dcondon
07-03-2006, 07:47 PM
Last time I checked it had to be dark for fireworks....Im working! I agree... you can take off in the winter.

You have a lot to learn!!!!!!!!:nono:

dwlah
07-03-2006, 10:26 PM
My Plan:
Mon-normal off day
Tues-Holiday everybody off
What actually happened:
Mon-College kid that was supposed to work today went to the lake
neighbor called me about 11 and needed some help to finish up his customers for the day so I went with him
Tues-Wife has to work a half day
Ill finish my stuff around the house tomorrow maybe

Jpocket
07-03-2006, 11:06 PM
I'll sharpen some blades on the 4th if that'll make you feel better :dizzy:

What's wrong with a day off???

Exactly...We took the long wkend. I spent all day today (monday) washing Fueling up the trucks...Tuesday I will clean the mowers/sharpen blades then take them to get fueled up......Then I will fire up the grill.

I could have & should have worked today monday, but Honestly sometimes you need a long wkend to recharge and catch up on things that you let slide when working the 60 hour week. What good is money if you don't take time to enjoy it.

I used to have the mentality that we should work regardless, because like someone said we have enough downtime in the winter, but i've got news for you: life is too short to let all of the good fun times pass you buy, also if a long wkend a few times a summer is gonna break you your in the wrong business.

Come wednesday morning everyone will be fresh and ready to work that 12 hour day...The customers can wait, and the ones that can't CAN FIND SOMEONE ELSE...plain and simple. Im in business to have a good quality life.:drinkup:

CutInEdge Lawn Care
07-04-2006, 01:02 AM
We took the long weekend and drove to Tennesee. Hiked up to Grato falls and Clingmans falls. We stayed the weekend in Pigeon Forge. We went whitewater rafting today then drove back and made it as far as Hardeeville, SC. It's 1am and I am bushed. Awesome trip.

J&R Landscaping
07-04-2006, 01:07 AM

Thats news to me, I never new mexicans to ***** about much of anything!!!

I worked on monday but tuesday I work a little while. I'm not sure as of yet.

Have a safe and happy holiday everybody! :usflag: :usflag: