PDA

View Full Version : Mowing in Ditches?

landgator
07-02-2006, 08:33 PM
I have a HOA that I mow once a month. Its 1.5 miles of road with grass on lft side and a ditch in the middle with more grass on the rt side. Does anyone have any ideas how to cut down on my time for weed eating? I'm looking at buying an Agri-Fab 42" Rough cutter.
http://www.agri-fab.com/trailmower45_0362.html
I can pull it be behind my little lawn tractor. Any ideas or suggestions would be great.

ProStreetCamaro
07-02-2006, 09:16 PM
You cant cut it with a walk behind?

cantoo
07-02-2006, 09:23 PM
How would this save time weed eating? I would think you would be better off buying a used wbh and using it for rough areas. Don't have to change the blades as often when you hit stuff.

lawnboy dan
07-02-2006, 09:36 PM
a rear drive 21 should work fine

landgator
07-03-2006, 08:58 AM
I really don't know how well either of them would work. The ditch varies in depth and the sides are not vary even. How easy to walk behinds roll over? Arn't they heavy to manuver? Thanks for the help.
:usflag:

topsites
07-03-2006, 09:06 AM
Next time around, bid higher and the problem is solved.

landgator
07-03-2006, 09:12 AM
In my oppion I have already bi high! I new the guy who used to mow it. HE charged $600 then he jack his price to $1000 becuase he does land clearing and got tired of messing with mowing. So I threw I bid of $800 and got the job. Anybody have a used wb for sale?

Richard Martin
07-04-2006, 08:32 AM
I know what landgator is going through. In Eastern NC there are ditches everywhere and they are usually steep (45+/- degrees) with a very soft soil. I have 750 feet around the property where I live and about 1,000 feet down 2 sides of my vacant lot. Most of it is so soft that a walkbehind would get stuck in an instant and a push mower is difficult to manuver. Trimming is the best way.

cantoo
07-04-2006, 07:50 PM
Flexdeck anyone?

Richard Martin
07-05-2006, 08:21 AM
Flexdeck anyone?

I looked at the Flex Deck and while it's abilities to flex up are very good it's abilty to flex down is limited to around 7 degrees.

The ditches here don't gradually slope. You have a flat level yard and at the edge of the road there is usually a 2 foot deep ditch that was dug out with a backhoe with no regards to regular lawn maintenance. The road side of the ditch usually has a decent slope to it but the soil is so soft and mucky you can't get close enough to the bottom of the ditch with a Flex Deck to cut anything. It is a difficult situation and I have found a fix but I'm waiting to hear back from a couple of mower accessories manufacturers before I can tell you what I came up with. Think "Frankenscagmachines".