PDA

View Full Version : Scagg Belt Drive Slipping Out of gear! Help!

msclawn
07-02-2006, 09:13 PM
I feel the transmission is fine - I lost 2nd gear and now 3rd gear. When I have the hand clutch engaged the transmission is spinning in each gear but not engaging in 2nd and 3rd. 1st will engage but it is jerky.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

ed2hess
07-02-2006, 09:28 PM
What are you talking about.....a Scag WB or something else?

msclawn
07-04-2006, 10:40 PM
A Scagg walk behind

TLS
07-04-2006, 10:51 PM
It's spelled S C A G

Your likely better off just replacing the transmission. Some say to just replace worn/broken gears, but for $200 you have a whole new one.

topsites
07-05-2006, 12:02 AM
It's spelled S C A G

Your likely better off just replacing the transmission. Some say to just replace worn/broken gears, but for $200 you have a whole new one.

I've rebuilt the Tecumseh a couple of times and would like to first agree with what you say and add this:

First, make sure you're really IN gear, a lot of times that is the problem right there, nothing wrong but the lever is a tee off. As they get older, the snickety-snick feel disappears and it is hard to tell if it's really in gear, so try several positions of the lever right around those gears.

Second, ALWAYS run the Tecumseh in the HIGHEST gear. If it's a 5-speed, run it in 5th, a 4-speed runs in 4th always! Use the belts to adjust for speed, ONLY use a lower gear if you really HAVE to (steep inclines), this will prolong the life of the Tecumseh.
Now you might wear out a belt here and there a tee bit faster, but once you replace or rebuild a Tecumseh, you will see it is easier to replace belts all day long heheh.

DO buy a new tranny because in the time you'll spend replacing vs. rebuilding the old one to get your Wb going, you will save yourself a lot of headache just doing the swap but DO keep the old one around.
When you have some time, pull the broken one apart, I would be willing to bet it's either a shaft or a key has gotten sheared. On the Tecumseh's, the gears almost NEVER break, it's always the shaft(s) or the keys that get worn / shear, which is how you get the problem you're experiencing.

Also, once you pull the old one apart, you can get shaft(s) for around 20 dollars so then you order that part and you rebuild the old one and keep it around as a spare (so when another one goes lol). That is, I think it's worth it myself so that's how I do it.