PDA

View Full Version : better truck for pulling

befnme
07-03-2006, 12:55 AM
i just traded my f150 for an f250 6.0 diesel and the difference is night and day . i would recomend this truck to anyone wanting a great pulling truck . i can pull my tractor with front bucket and mower around with a truck full of gear .at 70 mph down the intrstate and only turn 2000 rpm .while still getting around 13 mpg.

JJLandscapes
07-03-2006, 01:21 AM
WAS THE investment worth it if nothing was wrong with the 150? the 150 could do 70 the engine might be getting a lil more abuse but tyhats all if its maintained theres no issue

FIRESCOOBY
07-03-2006, 01:50 AM
WAS THE investment worth it if nothing was wrong with the 150? the 150 could do 70 the engine might be getting a lil more abuse but tyhats all if its maintained theres no issue

I don't agree. Yes, maintenance can take care of alot of things. BUT, transmissions, suspension components, differentials take alot of abuse.

I tow with an 04 Tacoma. It gets the job done, but not as easy as a larger truck and will not last quite as long because it is working harder.

tylermckee
07-03-2006, 01:54 AM

no matter what you do a 150 will never be a great tow rig, not ony the engine but the transmission, rear end, suspension, etc all arent designed for pulling a heavy load. no amount of maintnence will fix that. not to mention he was probably illegal pulling around a tractor

HOOLIE
07-03-2006, 02:12 AM
How much weight is that you're towing exactly??

nobagger
07-03-2006, 08:04 AM
no matter what you do a 150 will never be a great tow rig, not ony the engine but the transmission, rear end, suspension, etc all arent designed for pulling a heavy load. no amount of maintnence will fix that. not to mention he was probably illegal pulling around a tractor
I have a 94 F150 heavy half ton and it pulls my new 16 ft enclosed around loaded with equipment with no problem. It has a E4OD tranny which is used from this F150 up to a F350. But I have to agree with you to a point, I only anticipate running this truck for another 2 years topps. Then its a DIESEL!!!!!:weightlifter: My neighbor just bought a 05 Dodge with a Cummings Turbo and he tows a 35ft. camper trailer and it tows it like its not even there and still gets in the mid to high teens for fuel mileage.

lawnmaniac883
07-03-2006, 02:17 PM
Hope you dont run into all of the problems others have with that 6.0 diesel. Welcome to the world of turbo diesels...:clapping:

befnme
07-04-2006, 12:01 AM
How much weight is that you're towing exactly??
well today i just picked up 4 pallets of sod .3 on the trailer and 1 in the bed . and the 250 didnt even flinch. i have a 33 horse kabota with the front bucket and a grasshopper z . didnt flinch with that either .

mr mow
07-04-2006, 12:22 AM
sounds like you guys are doing better than me. i have 99 silverado 1500 (92000 miles) pulling a g.d.36" w.b. and 52" s.s. g.d. around town and im getting 12.75(i figure) mpg. i put 20$ in my truck today at 3.04.9 a gallon it hurts

mr mow
07-04-2006, 12:25 AM
do i need a tune up or what, i mean the 52" weights roughly 1050 pounds and 36" maybe 500 pounds and a 6.5*12' trailer?

lwcmattlifter
07-04-2006, 12:25 AM
You guys are forgetting one of the biggest advantages of a 3/4-1 ton truck...... Braking power

mr mow
07-04-2006, 12:27 AM
yeah i agree my truck brakes for sh!T!

Keith
07-04-2006, 01:46 AM
You guys are forgetting one of the biggest advantages of a 3/4-1 ton truck...... Braking power

That's a biggy. I towed with an older F150 for years and sometimes I just felt like I was just along for the ride. It feels much better to me having a truck that, if anything, is too big for the job.

befnme
07-04-2006, 08:07 AM
That's a biggy. I towed with an older F150 for years and sometimes I just felt like I was just along for the ride. It feels much better to me having a truck that, if anything, is too big for the job.
yeh ,with the tow button on the tranny breaks itself down and helps to stop without pushing the brake so hard.

Mike33
07-04-2006, 11:46 PM
Good luck with your 6.0 i have an 03 and it a piece of ****. 7 injectors replaced, 1 turbo, turbo misc. parts, exaust pipe off of turbo warranty wouldnt cover 750.00 repair. Oh yea, 350.00 chip so i could pull out with my bobcat because of no bottom end power, due to factory software could not be fixed. Welcome to the 6.0 it really sucks.
Mike

kipper
07-05-2006, 12:14 AM
I bought an 06 3500 srw ram with the cummins in it and it puls my 16 ft enclosed trailer at 75 very nicely. However as lwcmattlifter commented the brakes are the best part of a bigger truck. Electric trailer brakes can only do so much before you have to have some real wieght to stop and handle the trailer. One suggestion for your under performing psd would be to trade it. Ford seems to be really anctious to take the bad apples off the road around here. They are realizing that other automakers have a good product and everyone knows about the problems of the early 6.0's. The funny thing is though they have already made mention that the 6.0 will be replaced very soon, i wonder if they will rush this one through as well.

My decision was based on that I was buying a cummins, it just so happend it came in a Dodge.

Oh yeah took a 1000 mile trip three weeks ago and averaged 72 mph and 18.75 mpg. I cant wait untill the break in period is up and can add the powerbox...

Goood luck with the PSD's..

Mike33
07-05-2006, 11:09 AM
I bought an 06 3500 srw ram with the cummins in it and it puls my 16 ft enclosed trailer at 75 very nicely. However as lwcmattlifter commented the brakes are the best part of a bigger truck. Electric trailer brakes can only do so much before you have to have some real wieght to stop and handle the trailer. One suggestion for your under performing psd would be to trade it. Ford seems to be really anctious to take the bad apples off the road around here. They are realizing that other automakers have a good product and everyone knows about the problems of the early 6.0's. The funny thing is though they have already made mention that the 6.0 will be replaced very soon, i wonder if they will rush this one through as well.

My decision was based on that I was buying a cummins, it just so happend it came in a Dodge.

Oh yeah took a 1000 mile trip three weeks ago and averaged 72 mph and 18.75 mpg. I cant wait untill the break in period is up and can add the powerbox...

Goood luck with the PSD's..
Ford is delaying the 6.4 until 08 it was going to be out by jan. 07 now a problem. I would think before they release it they will have it perfrcted. I dont think they want 2 bad ones back to back. I always wondered why they didnt go with like the cummins, etc. something well proven.
Mike

Ramairfreak98ss
07-05-2006, 07:49 PM
i plan to do this too but im keepin my f150, its pulled its whole life, boats, campers now all my lawn stuff that ive owned it.... its a 1991 with a 5.0L and trans rebuild at 153k, its got 186k currently.

Im looking at a 07 f350 6.0 long bed 4x4 or 2500hd or 3500 with the allison/duramax within 6 months, the f150 pulls but not "easy" like a diesel or new truck would. I pull a 24' enclosed trailer weighting almost 6000lbs with my gear in it, it doesnt have fun, it overheats on very hot days, has to stay in 3rd gear at 60-65 on the highway and struggles with its low gears, i think theyre 3.07s? doesnt get good gas mileage either. I plan to use the truck in the future but not pulling enclosed trailers around.

It pulls 7000lbs around on the open trailer much easier than the enclosed at 6000.

stroker51
07-05-2006, 08:02 PM
There is some big changes coming down the line for medium duty trucks of the '07 model year. My uncle is a shop foreman for an International dealership, and he said that starting this fall, at least in International/Navistar engines, which includes the powerstroke, they are gonna have a bunch of exhaust changes and b/s for emissions purposes. Not sure exactly what, but they aren't going to have mufflers, but their is gonna be a fuel injector in the exhaust system, and the exhaust temps are gonna be around 500 degrees hotter than they are now, which means that the engines are gonna have to take a hotter temp. as well. I'm not sure what injecting fuel into the exhaust is gonna do for emissions, but apparently it does something. What they are being told is that '07 and up trucks are gonna be like 4-5 grand more than they are now because the emissions stuff will be so much more expensive to do for the manufacturers, and to repair if somthing f's up. Another interesting bit of info with all this hype surrounding no-sulfur diesel and lubricity, all of the classes he has been to for work have told him that it will not hurt the old diesels, but don't run old fuel w/ sulfur in a new (07) diesel. You just gotta love the EPA screwin around with the diesel industry huh?:hammerhead:

lawnmaniac883
07-05-2006, 09:10 PM
There is some big changes coming down the line for medium duty trucks of the '07 model year. My uncle is a shop foreman for an International dealership, and he said that starting this fall, at least in International/Navistar engines, which includes the powerstroke, they are gonna have a bunch of exhaust changes and b/s for emissions purposes. Not sure exactly what, but they aren't going to have mufflers, but their is gonna be a fuel injector in the exhaust system, and the exhaust temps are gonna be around 500 degrees hotter than they are now, which means that the engines are gonna have to take a hotter temp. as well. I'm not sure what injecting fuel into the exhaust is gonna do for emissions, but apparently it does something. What they are being told is that '07 and up trucks are gonna be like 4-5 grand more than they are now because the emissions stuff will be so much more expensive to do for the manufacturers, and to repair if somthing f's up. Another interesting bit of info with all this hype surrounding no-sulfur diesel and lubricity, all of the classes he has been to for work have told him that it will not hurt the old diesels, but don't run old fuel w/ sulfur in a new (07) diesel. You just gotta love the EPA screwin around with the diesel industry huh?:hammerhead:

In 07 particulate filters will be added to medium duty diesels. These filters remove excess particulates in the exhaust but at a compromise. 1) You now have more backpressure to reduce your mileage more. 2) You now need to use MORE fuel to burn off the particulates in the filter, to do this they inject more fuel into the cylinders to raise the EGT's which will in turn burn off the particulates. This will only occur every said number of operating hours IIRC.

The funny thing is that they do all of this to reduce emissions but it does NOTHING for the chitty trucks already on the road. We now have to buy these very expensive trucks which will not get the best mileage that they could if the timing werent ******ed or if the exhaust wasnt restricted. So we stop at the light with our emissions compliant truck which you could probably breathe the exhaust gasses because they are so clean and what pulls up next to you? Some beat up POS truck that is belching black blue grey white smoke all over gods once green earth and they get to drive just like you do. How is that fair? I see it every damn day in my truck. I pay a premium price for a clean emissions compliant truck when I should have just paid 1/30th what I did and could be emissions compliant as well. I see these garbage trucks passing cops every day and nothing happens. We need to get the old junk off the road before bothering with new emissions. JM 2 cents

Ramairfreak98ss
07-05-2006, 10:42 PM
We need to get the old junk off the road before bothering with new emissions. JM 2 cents

agreed, same with old gas pos cars. make the damn people fix them, particularly old chrsyler cars, blah, they ALL spew out tons of burnt oil, theyre motors must all have bad rings after 100-150k miles, minivans, cars everything they make.

sorry for the rant, looks like ill pickup my truck this year then instead of waiting for the new stuff.