PDA

View Full Version : Ferris IS 5000

Andyinchville
07-03-2006, 10:50 AM
HI All,

I have a chance to buy a Ferris IS 5000 for $9200 from a business going out of business....The machine is like brand new with only about 275 hours on it. My question is....does any body have experience with is size machine (72" DECK)....I like the CAt diesel but the owner said I should only use the machine on big yards because of the weight....I currently use a Ferris 3000 Extreme Z....I think the 5000 is only about 500 or 600 lbs heavier...Any thoughts?
Thanks
Andrew

Mr.Mow-It-All
07-03-2006, 02:07 PM
I have the 4500 with the 28 cat and it is very heavy! If you can't change your pattern very much it will definatley rut. I think Mine ways about 2000 lbs with me on it (255lbs) and that is very heavy. These big cats weigh A LOT!

Sounds like a great deal though.

mowerman90
07-03-2006, 03:43 PM
About 1 1/2 years ago I did a field test for Turf magazine on the IS 5000. As you can see from the picture, it dwarfs my full size Super Z sitting beside it. It only had the 60 in deck too. I remember that when I loaded it onto my 12 ft trailer with 3500# axle that after I got it onto the trailer I could have backed it off without the gate because the trailer squatted down so much when I backed it off that the back of the trailer came to within 2 inches of touching the ground. I believe it weighs about 2200 lbs. Ferris doesn't list the weight on their website because they probably don't want you to know how heavy it is.

REALSLOW
07-03-2006, 04:05 PM
I don't get machines like that ,yes they are truly spellbinding but for all practical purposes the weight makes them unpractical for any type of regular transporting not to mention they will get stuck easier and how would you get it out? The Super Cat Hustler is the same way. A 35 or 40 HP gaser super Z would mabey weigh 50 more pounds than a 28 HP super Z and it would smoke that porker big time!

tHE ONLY TRULY GOOD THING i SEE ABOUT A MAchine like that is that you could run it on veggie oil!

mowerman90
07-03-2006, 05:07 PM
The Super Cat Hustler is the same way. A 35 or 40 HP gaser super Z would mabey weigh 50 more pounds than a 28 HP super Z and it would smoke that porker big time!

Actually, that 27/52 Super Z DID smoke that porker. Yes, that's right, my Super Z ran rings around the big machine. The brains at the corporate level of Ferris insisted that I test the big machine with a 60 in rear discharge deck knowing that it would be tested on residential lawns. Needless to say, the thing threw clumps all over the place. A machine like that should only be used for "acreage", meaning along the interstate.

rodfather
07-03-2006, 05:23 PM
For 9200 bucks, I would buy that thing in a NY Minute. Brand new it goes for like 15 grand. Plus it would look so nice along side the 4000 and 3000's Ferris Z's I have now.

rodfather
07-03-2006, 05:36 PM
Andy, you're right. It weighs around 2K.

I have a 4000 with a 35 hp B&S, 72 inch deck, and it weighs about the same. It takes a little getting used to mowing and it not something you put on a 3500K capacity trailer for sure along with some other machines.

If you don't buy it, email me at rspronck@aol.com with the details (co., phone number, etc.) and I will gladly take that machine off their hands before they change their minds or someone else comes along.

rodfather
07-03-2006, 05:43 PM
Actually, that 27/52 Super Z DID smoke that porker. Yes, that's right, my Super Z ran rings around the big machine. The brains at the corporate level of Ferris insisted that I test the big machine with a 60 in rear discharge deck knowing that it would be tested on residential lawns. Needless to say, the thing threw clumps all over the place. A machine like that should only be used for "acreage", meaning along the interstate.

A, a 61" deck on that machine is a complete waste of hp.

B. who would want a rear-discharge machine to begin with I ask?

mowerman90
07-03-2006, 05:50 PM

My sentiments exactly!

tomo
07-03-2006, 06:53 PM

hello, please remember this engine size is the starting size for out front mowers.This engine is 1.1ltrs and other out front use 1.3-1.6ltrs.[60/72inch]HP is required to push around that beefcake . I suspect the same engine is also offered as a 28hp version from other mower makers . Kubota offers there own 1.1ltr engine as either 25 or 28 versions.Although i have never owned a rear discharge my impression would be that this particularmachine would be best suited to less than perfect lawns where prodution is priority eg local parks or large domestics etc and not small /med domestics.Just my opinion. TOMO ps ; side discharge or mulch gives a better finish than a rear discharge does it not???and rear dis cuts higher grass faster???

Apples
07-03-2006, 07:12 PM
Andrew, I like my IS5000. I have the same mower. It is the most comfortable mower that I have ever used. You must be careful when turning around,it will easily tear the turf with its 1900 lbs. You or Rod will be getting a nice mower.

all ferris
07-03-2006, 08:23 PM
I have a IS4000 that I got 3 years ago when they first came out. I wanted to get the IS5000 but it was about $2000 more and the only difference was the motor (31hp LC dihatsu gas vs. 32hp cat diesel). I love my IS4000 and the cut is great (72" side discharge). The 3 cylinder gas motor I have on mine has more than enough power for the deck because if try to feed too much grass through the deck the belts will slip.

The mower sounds like a great deal.

alexschultz2
07-04-2006, 12:28 AM
i think that ferris should take a lesson from dixicopper and put two gas engines on their mowers. one engine for the wheels and one for the blades. gas engines weight so much less than diesel.

Apples
07-04-2006, 07:33 AM
The twin engine Dixie Chopper's motors run everything together. The mower is 600 lbs lighter than the Ferris. It is just as powerful,but has more then twice the maintenance.