PDA

View Full Version : General Thoughts on Aerating, DeThatching and Overseeding

Funky
07-03-2006, 01:03 PM
Have a 5 year old lawn in NE Ohio (very clay-ish soil). Dethatched the lawn about 3 years ago and took off a TON of thatch.

I'm wondering what I can do to make it look better (aside from getting rid of the red thread).

What are the general thoughts/rules/conventions on aerating? Dethatching? It you aerate, do you also dethatch? When's the best time to do it? Should I overseed afterwards? Do I need to? (the lawn is fairly thick)

I've read conflicting things and I'm just trying to figure out a simple plan to make it look the best it can.

Thanks

dcondon
07-03-2006, 01:12 PM
I would aerate it this fall. That should help out a lot. Make sure you do it in two different angles.:waving: That would be a good time to overseed if needed.

Funky
07-03-2006, 01:35 PM
I would aerate it this fall. That should help out a lot. Make sure you do it in two different angles.:waving: That would be a good time to overseed if needed.

So if you aerate, is dethatching unnecessary?

upidstay
07-03-2006, 04:05 PM
Aeration will promote the natural breakdown of thatch. If you are alrerady bound up with thatch after 3 years, you need to lay off the fertilizer and mow more frequently.

6'7 330
07-03-2006, 04:55 PM
So if you aerate, is dethatching unnecessary?

Probe the soil and investagte If the thatch layer is 1/4 to a 1/2 inch.If the thatch is no more then a 1/2 layer, skip the dethatching. Aerate as suggested and rent a slit seeder to do the overseeding.

topsites
07-05-2006, 02:29 AM
It's a bit biased but not a bad read:
Core Aeration Q & A (http://stonecreektreeservice.com/qa.htm)

upidstay
07-05-2006, 02:00 PM
Don't like the guys tone, but what he says is mostly true. Except for the spike aerating making things worse. It is not as effective as core aerating, but still works. And a report based on many years of university research tells me that. The guys definitely goes for the hard sell, but he has his facts straight.