PDA

View Full Version : found a truck that i really like, need input

mcwlandscaping
07-03-2006, 06:42 PM
this is an add on plowsite that im copying over to here:

1998 GMC Sierra 2500
8600 gvw, Ext cab, Power windows and locks, Power seat, Keyless entry, 454, Auto, Locking diff, 3.73 gears, Cold a/c, EZ dumper, Western 8 foot unimount pro, am fm cass cd.

In the last year I have put all new brakes, hubs, rotors, wheel speed sensors, pitman arm, yellow top optima, hd alternator, a/c pump, both exhaust manifolds (both gm) all exhaust studs, u joints, Just serviced a/c and its ice cold.

Truck runs and drives flawlessly. Last week I hauled 8 loads of junk and wood out of a building I tore down and it averaged 10 mpg .

82000 miles
Asking $11,000

mcwlandscaping
07-03-2006, 06:43 PM
Pic Two...........

mcwlandscaping
07-03-2006, 06:46 PM
Pic Three......trying to convince my parents on this one, it really is hard to do that, im going to have them read this thread eventually about it.....be honest, but the more comments even small ones do help! thanks

Tony Clifton
07-03-2006, 06:48 PM
I have a 98 that I really like. The 454 seems pointless to me, the 350 has plenty of power---seems the 454 would be too much of a gas hog. I will sell you my 98 for 9k. 350, 2" lift, nice tires, 4 wheel drive, custom rims, sprayed in bedliner, alpine stereo, dark blue, oh and its a 2500. IN excellent condition for a 98 work truck.

mcwlandscaping
07-03-2006, 07:02 PM
I have a 98 that I really like. The 454 seems pointless to me, the 350 has plenty of power---seems the 454 would be too much of a gas hog. I will sell you my 98 for 9k. 350, 2" lift, nice tires, 4 wheel drive, custom rims, sprayed in bedliner, alpine stereo, dark blue, oh and its a 2500. IN excellent condition for a 98 work truck.
got pics? would you drive it up here?

lawnmaniac883
07-03-2006, 07:17 PM
11k is too much for that truck. I wouldnt pay much over 9...

mcwlandscaping
07-03-2006, 07:39 PM
ok, thanks, thats the price im shooting for....i need comments about the truck as well, i like the 454! and i can afford the gas for it

MMLawn
07-03-2006, 07:41 PM
They are correct. That is $2000-$4000 TOO MUCH for that truck. Do a free KBB run on it and see what the used person to person price is

ZOO YORK
07-03-2006, 07:45 PM
looks like a god truck to me, just not for 11,000. it is worth the 454 if you ask me. i feel with the plow and ez- dumper 8,500 would be fair.

FearThisDeere
07-03-2006, 07:54 PM
Looks to be a really nice truck, but that 454 will be a gas hog. You might think that you'll be able to afford the gas now, but it will wear you down after a while, but that is what a big motor is for. You can never have too much power. Also, keep in mind that this truck is far from you. You might get all the way out there to find out that it isn't as it looks or it is not really what you want. Not saying that it will be, but it could happen.

ToroLandscaper
07-03-2006, 08:19 PM
If i were you i would try to get an older diesel like a 1997 f250 or somethin along those lines

mcwlandscaping
07-03-2006, 08:39 PM
MMLawn, KBB value came up to $13k on it.
I have a good friend that lives in PA that said depending on how close it is he will go and look at the truck for me, and on top of that, depending on what he reports, the seller offered to drive the truck up for me.

tnmtn
07-03-2006, 09:26 PM
it looks like a nice truck. i would be concerned about the low GVW. in the side view pic it almost looks like it has a load. maybe it is just the dump bed. what are you planning to carry? i would suggest if you need the dump bed at least getting a 1 ton.
good luck,

TLS
07-03-2006, 09:43 PM
$11K is too high IMO

$8-9K maybe more depending on interior condition, and condition of plow and dumper, etc.

454 is a great engine, you'll be happy with it. 350's didn't get that much better mileage.

Sounds like a lot of the "common" issues he's already replaced/repaired.

As long as it's not BEAT and drives and operates well, I'd go for it.

mcwlandscaping
07-03-2006, 11:02 PM
it looks like a nice truck. i would be concerned about the low GVW. in the side view pic it almost looks like it has a load. maybe it is just the dump bed. what are you planning to carry? i would suggest if you need the dump bed at least getting a 1 ton.
good luck,
Just bark mulch and maybe some light loads of gravel, the real reason i really like the dump insert is for fall cleanups, since im still in school that 20 min. dump trip unloading a full load of leaves turns into a couple minutes. And also being able to get my own mulch and put it where i want it when its convenient for me is a huge huge plus. It is just another aspect of business i can keep in house which gives me greater control.

dcondon
07-03-2006, 11:08 PM
Sure dosen't sound like much of a deal to me. Don't forget that your going to run into engine trouble before to long. Plus all the gas that it will drink down. No way!!!!:hammerhead:

TLS
07-03-2006, 11:10 PM
That engine will go 2-300K easy.

MMLawn
07-03-2006, 11:18 PM
MMLawn, KBB value came up to $13k on it.
I have a good friend that lives in PA that said depending on how close it is he will go and look at the truck for me, and on top of that, depending on what he reports, the seller offered to drive the truck up for me.

Mike, you musta done something different than me than because I got it much lower on a Private Party sale (which is the "real" price you use on KBB, as retail is what dealers use to come down). I even checked it as a 2500HD (which with that GVW I doubt it is) and added "extras" that you didn't mention that the truck may or may not have which also added greatly to it's value. Such things as cruise and tilt, SLT top of the line trim package, etc. PLUS a did add the dump bed with hydro and the snow plow and tow packaeg and it still came up in the $9K range in fair condition....and even in EXC condition which it would not be (as rarely any 8 yr old work truck would be) it was only $11K and it is fair from Exc.

Condition Value
Excellent $11,510

Good $10,735

Fair $9,740
(Selected)

Search Local Listings
Sell Your Pickup

Vehicle Details Change Equipment
Engine: V8 454/7.4 Liter
Transmission: Automatic
Drivetrain: 4WD
Mileage: 82,000
Selected Standard Equipment
Air Conditioning
Power Steering AM/FM Stereo ABS (4-Wheel)
Selected Optional Equipment
SLT
Power Windows
Power Door Locks
Tilt Wheel Cruise Control
Single Compact Disc
Towing Pkg Snow Plow
Dump Bed
Hydraulic Lift

MMLawn
07-03-2006, 11:20 PM

A 454 gasser go as long as good diesel....no way. As a matter of fact most I ever got out of a 454 was 120,000.....and I've had a few of them over the years

dcondon
07-03-2006, 11:21 PM

Ya, That all depends on how it was taken care of.:dizzy: By the looks of the truck I would say not very good!!!!!!!!!

mcwlandscaping
07-03-2006, 11:39 PM
Ya, That all depends on how it was taken care of.:dizzy: By the looks of the truck I would say not very good!!!!!!!!!
how so?...........

Gravel Rat
07-03-2006, 11:44 PM
I don't know if I would want a 454 you can hear the gas tank turning inside out and the money flying out of your wallet. I would prolly take a 454 over a 6.5 Turd. The 460 Ford is just as bad its a pig on fuel and with the price of regular gas nowwadays you can't afford to run a big block gas pot.

Don't be in a rush to buy a truck without doing a good inspection a Car Fax report is worth every dime.

TLS
07-03-2006, 11:44 PM
A 454 gasser go as long as good diesel....no way. As a matter of fact most I ever got out of a 454 was 120,000.....and I've had a few of them over the years

I didn't compare it to a "good diesel" now, did I?:rolleyes:

What were your "problems" that prevented them from going over 120K?

This is a 3/4T truck.

I had a SRW 1T that had the same GVWR (8600)

MMLawn
07-03-2006, 11:49 PM
I didn't compare it to a "good diesel" now, did I?:rolleyes:

Well, you sure as heck compared it to the same exact mileage that a "good diesel" motor will last, now didn't you? :rolleyes:

What were your "problems" that prevented them from going over 120K?

Engine failure..... :laugh:

TLS
07-03-2006, 11:55 PM
Well, you sure as heck compared it to the same exact mileage that a "good diesel" motor will last, now didn't you? :rolleyes:

Engine failure..... :laugh:

I recind....your the expert.

mcwlandscaping
07-03-2006, 11:57 PM
well, i won't be showing this thread to the parents! oh well!! interesting posts though, thanks for the input though

J&R Landscaping
07-04-2006, 02:14 AM
Long as you keep the oil clean, all should be good.

mcwlandscaping
07-04-2006, 02:26 AM
im good at that! mobil one synthetic...the only oil i use!

Howie's Lawn Care
07-04-2006, 03:25 AM
well, i won't be showing this thread to the parents! oh well!! interesting posts though, thanks for the input though
I feel that the price is high because of the 454 as apposed to a 350. I assume you want something with an EZ-dumper for doing mulch work. That is what I am planning on doing next year. I want to try and find a 99' Ford F-250 regular cab 7.3L and put an EZ-dumper in it. I should have my mower paid off in the coming months and plan on trading my truck in come spring or selling prior. Anyways, a local landscape company is selling a 99' F-250 2 wheel drive with 5.4V8 and EZ-dumper. It only has 39K miles and glenn the owner said he's looking to get 12K out of it. It does have some scratches on the side of it, but 39K miles sounds pretty good to me. I think the gas v8 is too weak for mulch though. I think you need a tough v8 like a 6.0L, 5.7L, 5.9L, or a diesel for hauling. Otherwise you will be chugging the gas or wishing you had more power. That's just my opinion.

-Nick Howard

TWUllc
07-04-2006, 01:25 PM
Why not "start off" with a newer smaller truck, build your business up, and purchase a newer, or NEW 3/4-1ton in a year or two?

Dstosh
07-04-2006, 03:04 PM
The best advice i have seen on here is, Dont rush. Take a look and see a lot of different trucks. I bought the first one that I saw and I had problems the week end that i got it. Take a look and take your time.

mcwlandscaping
07-04-2006, 04:05 PM
Why not "start off" with a newer smaller truck, build your business up, and purchase a newer, or NEW 3/4-1ton in a year or two?
I am already at a point where im too big to just use a smaller truck, i do a lot of landscapes and hardscapes a long with lawn maintenance, its hard having to hire out someone to bring in stone, stone dust and mulch as deliveries have to be coordinated and that can change the timeframe of a project. I do'nt want to just get a dump trailer either so i can use the dump insert to fill with grass and tow my mowing equipment on a landscape trailer behind.

jazak
07-04-2006, 04:13 PM
I am already at a point where im too big to just use a smaller truck, i do a lot of landscapes and hardscapes a long with lawn maintenance, its hard having to hire out someone to bring in stone, stone dust and mulch as deliveries have to be coordinated and that can change the timeframe of a project. I do'nt want to just get a dump trailer either so i can use the dump insert to fill with grass and tow my mowing equipment on a landscape trailer behind.

Makes sense. I would get a diesel though, it will last you alot longer and gets better gas milage and has more torque. If you can afford to pay payments on a new truck thats what I would do since you would have a warrenty. Around here you can pickup a 2006 F-350, auto, 4x4, diesel, long bed pickup for under $30K. Just my .02

mcwlandscaping
07-04-2006, 06:59 PM
I would like to pick up a new desiel and then make the payments on it since i know i can easily afford them. Parents for some reason don't like any of my ideas about any truck. Its such a royal pita. I do like that truck a lot that i showed you guys but will also explain to them more about the new truck idea

thanks
mike

Brianslawn
07-04-2006, 07:09 PM
id say $8000 tops. what tranny? 4l80e?

Jamesgateslandscaping
07-04-2006, 09:34 PM
I think the gas v8 is too weak for mulch though. I think you need a tough v8 like a 6.0L, 5.7L, 5.9L, or a diesel for hauling. Otherwise you will be chugging the gas or wishing you had more power. That's just my opinion.

-Nick Howard

That doesn't make sense, the 454 was a great engine, granted it did suck gas but do we buy vehicles because of the gas consumption or the versitility and pure power? 6.0, 5.7 and the 5.9 were all good engines but the 454:weightlifter: would kick the a$$ out of any of them! Yes, diesel would be a better choice, but not everyone has the chance/choice to start out with one. Ive been in the business a couple of years and am trying to switch my trucks all to diesel now and its expensivepayup.
I know Mike personally and I know he will make the right decision. It would be a great truck for him but the price is a little high for the truck and if it doesnt happen, well its for a reason and he still has 2 months til he absolutly needs it.:waving:
Good luck man and see ya at 6:15 tomorrow morning:hammerhead:

qualitylawnmanagement
07-04-2006, 10:11 PM
Hey Jame's how do you like your new duramax? I got to drive one last Sunday and fell in love with it. It laid done some nice lines too LOL. Did you get your dump lettered up yet?

qualitylawnmanagement
07-04-2006, 10:12 PM
Looks like a nice truck mike. I just all depends on what you want to haul and how often you want to fill up too.

jazak
07-04-2006, 10:18 PM
I would like to pick up a new desiel and then make the payments on it since i know i can easily afford them. Parents for some reason don't like any of my ideas about any truck. Its such a royal pita. I do like that truck a lot that i showed you guys but will also explain to them more about the new truck idea

thanks
mike

Well what you could do is tell them you will make your money back on the truck with all the gas money you would save! :) If my son can afford a new diesel when he gets his driver's license in a year then I would say go ahead, but of course I have been in this business and your parents haven't. No offense.

jazak
07-04-2006, 10:34 PM
Oh yeah almost forgot also let them know that the truck may need a grand or three for the front end work and anything else that may go wrong with the truck and if you get new since you can afford it you ge a warrenty so you will be covered for at least 3 years. Just don't be a smatazz to them and let them know that you know what you're talking about and maybe they'll listen.

BTW really make sure you don't come across as a smartazz because as a parent I hate it and they will to so they really will make it hard on you to get a truck new or used. Just my .02. Jazak

Jamesgateslandscaping
07-04-2006, 11:00 PM
Hey Jame's how do you like your new duramax? I got to drive one last Sunday and fell in love with it. It laid done some nice lines too LOL. Did you get your dump lettered up yet?
I love it so much I will be getting the pickup version in about a month or so(hopefully sooner :dizzy: ). I have the lettering and it will be put on this weekend...it came out soooooooo nice, the pics will be up soon, I got everything done except the enclosed trailer(have to budget the $$ and dont know what I want yet.

Oh, btw...my dump lays some nice lines also:clapping:
James

dad
07-04-2006, 11:03 PM
If you are looking for a hard working TRUCK. They all work good in the summer. It how ever is my worthless opinion that if you plow snow at a professional level you need a truck with a solid front axle (Dodge). These trucks (3/4 ton or up) will carry a big heavy plow better. I love GM but HAVING BEEN PLOWING OVER 100 ACCOUNTS a year, for the last 28 years I have found that some things just work better. BOSS snow plows are another, Fast, Well built and dependable. the rest of our MEYER equipment is for sale. My family all drive trucks (GM) instead of cars but our work trucks are Dodge 2500 4x4's w/ BOSS plows and spreaders.

TLS
07-04-2006, 11:05 PM
The adjustability of a IFS with torsion bars is FAR superior for plowing and working IMO. Especially if you run BOSS V-Plows, as they are VERY sensitive to front end height.

qualitylawnmanagement
07-04-2006, 11:23 PM
I love it so much I will be getting the pickup version in about a month or so(hopefully sooner :dizzy: ). I have the lettering and it will be put on this weekend...it came out soooooooo nice, the pics will be up soon, I got everything done except the enclosed trailer(have to budget the $$ and dont know what I want yet.

Oh, btw...my dump lays some nice lines also:clapping:
James

Can't wait to see the dump all lettered up man.:weightlifter:

Jamesgateslandscaping
07-05-2006, 10:57 PM
well, actually, I bought my new truck today:weightlifter: ....Will have updated pics tomorrow or friday hopefully:cool2:
James

DBL
07-05-2006, 11:14 PM
If you are looking for a hard working TRUCK. They all work good in the summer. It how ever is my worthless opinion that if you plow snow at a professional level you need a truck with a solid front axle (Dodge). These trucks (3/4 ton or up) will carry a big heavy plow better. I love GM but HAVING BEEN PLOWING OVER 100 ACCOUNTS a year, for the last 28 years I have found that some things just work better. BOSS snow plows are another, Fast, Well built and dependable. the rest of our MEYER equipment is for sale. My family all drive trucks (GM) instead of cars but our work trucks are Dodge 2500 4x4's w/ BOSS plows and spreaders.

i couldnt agree with you more on the dodge holding up the plows compared to gm it may not be specific to gm because some other trucks like fords sag a little too but our dodges stay straight when plowing

Howie's Lawn Care
07-06-2006, 12:48 AM
That doesn't make sense, the 454 was a great engine, granted it did suck gas but do we buy vehicles because of the gas consumption or the versitility and pure power? 6.0, 5.7 and the 5.9 were all good engines but the 454:weightlifter: would kick the a$$ out of any of them! Yes, diesel would be a better choice, but not everyone has the chance/choice to start out with one. Ive been in the business a couple of years and am trying to switch my trucks all to diesel now and its expensivepayup.
I know Mike personally and I know he will make the right decision. It would be a great truck for him but the price is a little high for the truck and if it doesnt happen, well its for a reason and he still has 2 months til he absolutly needs it.:waving:
Good luck man and see ya at 6:15 tomorrow morning:hammerhead:
I was confused about what you were saying at first. I was talking about the 5.4L V8 being too weak, not the 454. I'm sorry about that, I was considering the 454 to be a high gas consumption engine. The 12-12.5 MPG in my ford ranger sucks, but I am only mowing as apposed to the higher profit jobs like landscapes.

6'7 330
07-06-2006, 01:21 AM
I got good service out of a few big block's over the years, 280 k hard miles out of one , and over 200k on a couple others.Ive owned a few GM over the years,my father and 4 brothers worked for the General.All I buy is GM, pays my brother's pensions.