PDA

View Full Version : WHich Engine?

dwilmi
07-03-2006, 06:35 PM
I am a homeowner looking at a new Hustler Super Z with a 72" XR-7 but can't decide on which engine to get! I would like the 26 HP Liquid cooled Kawasaki(quiter,fuel effient, longivity) but I don't know if it will be underpowered? I've been reading a lot about the 28HP Kohler EFI but I not exactly sure about kohlers and being air cooled! Right now I have a Grass Hopper with 21 HP LC Kubota diesel and a 61" deck and it is way under powered. I mow about 4 acres and it is mostly flat and not many trees. Which engine would you guys go with?

P.S. I know the 72" deck is overkill, but I value my time!!!!!

J&R Landscaping
07-03-2006, 06:37 PM
I'd say Kawasaki over Kohler any day of the week! Why not look into a diesel powered machie though, hustler has some good ones!

dwilmi
07-03-2006, 06:38 PM
Ive heard that there are problems with the 34 HP Cat in the Hustlers!

J&R Landscaping
07-03-2006, 06:40 PM
is your hustler dealer the only dealer around you? why not look at toro or exmark if you are looking for kubota diesel power?

tacoma200
07-03-2006, 06:45 PM
From my demo's with the Hustler you need all the power you can get for the big pumps and motors. They really drop the rpm's when you push hard on the levers.

dwilmi
07-03-2006, 06:46 PM
I have looked into a few others---Gravely, Toro, and going to look at a Exmark in a couple of days. I noticed they have a Kaw 29HP LC DFI engine in there although I don't know how there prices are compaed to Hustler.

MMLawn
07-03-2006, 06:51 PM
Get the John Deere 72" 997 Diesel.......that'll give you a ton of free time it'll cut that 4 acres so fast....AND will be cheaper that the Hustler Diesel.

On your question though, NO 26HP is not enough really for a 72" deck, as to KAW vs. KOH....don't let these young "brand loyal" guys that have never had anything other than the brand they recommend sway you either way, for or against. It the last 27 years I have owned about every engine brand out there and currently have diesels, KAWS, KOHS, and even Vanguards and they all work well as long as they are properly maintained. Also air cooled engines are find for your app, shoot as a LCO we run them 1,000s of hours in much harder day in and day out conditions. To say KAW is better than KOH, or vice-versa, that is nothing more than the old Ford vs.Chevy dribble.....they are both good trucks that each can have issues and the enigines of KAW and KOH are the same way.

TLS
07-03-2006, 07:17 PM
I wasn't very impressed with the 26hp LC Kawi. The 28EFI wins this hands down. You'll be putting a couple hours a week on your machine...LC'ed is not needed for that length of mowing.

You've chosen one of the better ZTR's out there. Some others can compare in some aspects, but I believe Hustler has the best all around package today.

Make sure the 72" deck is for you. And that it "fits" your lawn well. I mow several Multiple Acre lawns and still chose the 60" cut.

Diesel's aren't for everyone, and with a $2-3K price jump and the weight factor, you really have to "NEED" a diesel.

dwilmi
07-03-2006, 07:25 PM
I looked at the Toro with the 27HP Diatsu Diesel but they wanted $12,900, it was a nice machine but I can get a Super Z with the 28HP EFI 72" XR-7 for $8,800.00 I just don't think I can justify the $4,100 difference.

MOW ED
07-03-2006, 07:25 PM
28EFI all the way. Homeowner with 4 acres doesn't need a diesel and a LC is overkill for that much mowing. The 28 is great on fuel and fuel is expensive. Yes a diesel is the best but added cost and weight of machine not to mention HUGE overkil is definately a negative.
You won't go wrong with the 28 for your situation. If you want to do your neighbors 4 acres the 28 will handle that too. :weightlifter:

dwilmi
07-03-2006, 07:33 PM
28EFI all the way. Homeowner with 4 acres doesn't need a diesel and a LC is overkill for that much mowing. The 28 is great on fuel and fuel is expensive. Yes a diesel is the best but added cost and weight of machine not to mention HUGE overkil is definately a negative.
You won't go wrong with the 28 for your situation. If you want to do your neighbors 4 acres the 28 will handle that too. :weightlifter:

Thanks for your input. What about the Flex forks? How much are they and do they really help. My yard is kind of rough?

TLS
07-03-2006, 07:35 PM
I believe they run about $200 or so. I found that 8psi in the fronts and 10psi in the rears gives me a pretty good ride.

puppypaws
07-03-2006, 10:27 PM
Thanks for your input. What about the Flex forks? How much are they and do they really help. My yard is kind of rough?Get the 66" XR-7 with the 28 efi and Flex Forks and I promise you will be very happy. I cannot comment on the 72" deck because I have never run one but I think it would scalp a little easier than the 66", I have owned 60" Hustler's and the new 66" I have now does not scalp even the places my 60's would and they say this is because the deck is centered. The 66" mower will mow your four acres so fast and good you will look for something else to cut. I would like to here from someone that is running a 72" XR-7 to know if it scalps any more or less than Hustler's older model. I was cutting signal grass this afternoon that was 12" tall and the 28 efi was throwing the grass 12' or more, it was so heavy I was probably moving 4 mph and I do not like to run anything but wide open if at all possible so believe me it was thick.

accuratelawn
07-03-2006, 10:40 PM
If money is not object put the EFI engine and large deck on your mower. I run a 72 with 27 air cooled Kohler. It does a great job 90% of the mowing season. In the Spring the 27 works ok, but as a homeowner you can jump on the mower every 5 days during heavy growth. I run my route on a 7 day cycle.
If spending another $1000 for a EFI is not a problem, go for it. You will only put about 75 hour on the machine per season if you are only mowing your 4 acres.
Just my random thaughts.

dwilmi
07-03-2006, 10:51 PM
If money is not object put the EFI engine and large deck on your mower. I run a 72 with 27 air cooled Kohler. It does a great job 90% of the mowing season. In the Spring the 27 works ok, but as a homeowner you can jump on the mower every 5 days during heavy growth. I run my route on a 7 day cycle.
If spending another $1000 for a EFI is not a problem, go for it. You will only put about 75 hour on the machine per season if you are only mowing your 4 acres.
Just my random thaughts.

At my nearest Hustler dealer its only $300.00 More for the 28HP EFI over the 26 HP Liquid Cooled Kaw.

tacoma200
07-03-2006, 11:11 PM
Thanks for your input. What about the Flex forks? How much are they and do they really help. My yard is kind of rough?
I was quoted as low as $199 and another dealer quoted $300 on the flex forks. Everyone that has them likes them.

lawnmaniac883
07-04-2006, 12:42 PM
Im partial to kawisaki but in this case go with the kohler. EFI versus carbureted makes no contest. The 28hp engine will respond well to heavy loads and will make starting as easy as turning the key. Make sure the dealer you plan on buying from has the needed electronics to work on kohler EFI engines though, just incase.