PDA

View Full Version : Bob-Cat LEO

fcl01
07-03-2006, 08:28 PM
I picked up a Bob-Cat LEO awhile back that a divorcee could not afford to fix. It had a bad hydro unit so I bought it just for kicks. I'm no expert as far as mowers or mowing in general, I do mainly installs. But as far as I can tell, this seems to be a really nice mower for the money. I mowed my lawn with it for the first time today. I must say it's not too bad. I do know that it is nowhere near the mower as some out there but what do you guys think of these? I'm probably just going to sell it because I really have no need for it.
Any opinions on this mower would be greatly appreciated. I'd like to hear some opinions of guys that do mowing and could give some insight as to whether I could sell this as a "commercial" mower or if that would be overating it a bit.:waving:

It has a 18hp. briggs with a 52" deck. 147 hrs.

Lynden-Jeff
07-03-2006, 08:40 PM
My bobcat dealer does not speak very highly of the leo but I have ZT-219 and love it to death.

Cheers
Jeff

fcl01
07-03-2006, 09:07 PM
My bobcat dealer does not speak very highly of the leo but I have ZT-219 and love it to death.

Cheers
Jeff

Any reason the dealer don't like them?

Lynden-Jeff
07-03-2006, 09:11 PM
Any reason the dealer don't like them?

Very very homeowner grade he said. He wasn't to specific but they also do not like Briggs engines.

Cheers
Jeff

pugs
07-05-2006, 03:10 PM
We are a Bobcat dealer. Never got involved with the Leo. Basically LEO stands for Large Estate Owner. It was a product made for homeowners. Unfortunately they did not cheapen it up enough for homeowners to afford it and they made it too cheap to be commercial. So it was around for about 2-3 years maybe? Its gone now.

Now they have this Fast Cat...which I have yet to get any info/pricing on to see where it stands. I dunno if it is similar at all to the LEO or not. I am guessing it is much more commercial grade.

The LEO isnt a bad unit, but I wouldnt use it commercially. If someone has a few acre yard to mow it would be a good Z for that. Honestly the better choice is their ZT218ES or I think its a ZT220ES now. Basically a commercial unit with a cheap briggs engine on it instead of a Kaw or Kohler.

Lynden-Jeff
07-05-2006, 05:17 PM
Hey,

I was told the fast cat is more commercial then the Leo just smaller and a little simpler. Are you sure the Leo is gone now? It is still listed on bobcats website.

Cheers
Jeff

pugs
07-05-2006, 05:59 PM
Hey,

I was told the fast cat is more commercial then the Leo just smaller and a little simpler. Are you sure the Leo is gone now? It is still listed on bobcats website.

Cheers
Jeff

I thought it was...not sure now. I seem to remember it not even being on the price lists for this year.

I think the deck and frame construction on them was ok. I am just not a fan of the combined wheel motor/pump units instead of having a wheel motor and a pump with hoses or lines between them. A briggs engine is fine for what they were designed for too.

It really just doesnt even compare to a ZT-200 series though. We mow our property with a ZT-223 61" model :)

Lynden-Jeff
07-05-2006, 06:22 PM
I was going to go with a zt-223 and 52 inch deck but decided on the zt-219 and 52. Works great IMO and a good value!

Cheers
Jeff

Idealtim
07-05-2006, 07:40 PM
It had a bad hydro unit

Only 147 hours? thats early.

MoGreen
08-01-2006, 12:39 AM
Got a LEO myself. 147hrs on it, and in excellent condition. Got it for $1500.
BUT, there is a recall on the ELS 500 motor on it. The compression rebound spring is too tight, does not release the air from the cylinder, and will "eventually" wear the cam, and start burning up starters. Mine has been in the shop for a month now. Briggs is replacing the cam, comp spring, and paying for all labor.....Might re-sell it when I get it back.....?
Good mower, but seems to need a little larger motor. Got the commercial deck also.