PDA

View Full Version : dixie chopper wheel motor leaks

doublesharp
07-03-2006, 10:10 PM
My 6 year old 280 hour dixie chopper is leaking oil under the left side. About 6 oz.low. Has done it twice so I took it to my dealer. He says left wheel motor must be replaced @ $550-600. Any alternatives? Is the price in the ballpark? Thanks

MowerMedic77
07-03-2006, 11:49 PM
Not sure what wheel motor you have there should be a small round metal tag on the back side of the wheel motor with all the info you need, check out J-Thomas.com for your motor call them direct give them your #'s and they can get you a master seal kit probably $20-$30 bucks. The new motor complete yes will cost $300-$400 before R/R and oil. Most (busy) shops will not want to rebuild your wheel motor they will want to do the R/R this is quick and less likely to have a return. Hope this helps:)

doublesharp
07-04-2006, 08:42 AM
Thanks for the reply. I'm not skilled enough to install the seal kit, and time is of the essence, so I guess I'll bite the bullet and have the new pump motor installed.

Should I expect the right side to go soon or did I just have bad luck to spring a leak at under 300 hours? Any preventive maintenance?

MowerMedic77
07-04-2006, 10:52 AM
I can't say that I have never seen wheel motors leak before but I can't also say thats its common. Your hours do seem low for the year of the mower, its hard to say if the other motor will leak but if its not broke don't fix it applies here IMHO. Do you use this mower daily or does it have lots of down time? Keep up with your fluid services per your manufacture this will help the entire hydro system.

doublesharp
07-04-2006, 02:13 PM
I can't say that I have never seen wheel motors leak before but I can't also say thats its common. Your hours do seem low for the year of the mower, its hard to say if the other motor will leak but if its not broke don't fix it applies here IMHO. Do you use this mower daily or does it have lots of down time? Keep up with your fluid services per your manufacture this will help the entire hydro system.

2 1/2 to 3 easy hours a week is all I use it and I've never serviced the hydraulic system. Says to change hydro fluid at 1000 hours so I'm not sure I'll live long enough at 50/60 hrs per year. I change engine oil and grease it once a year and that's been about it. 5 years trouble free.

ed2hess
07-04-2006, 04:51 PM
I had one go out on a Scag WB that had high use but the other side still is okay. The failure on mine was not simply a seal problem it was the bearing went out and that resulted in damage to the spindle and consequently the seal. A bearing kit would not have solved mine. If I had inspected my wheel on regular basis I might have caught the bearing problem before it caused more damage.

HornetMowing
07-04-2006, 05:08 PM
I noticed not many mentions about Dixie Chopper, here, this is a first, I've noticed here. Several LCO's use them, what are the thoughts on them here, as far as Maintenance and such, and Quailty verse Price.......Just curious Hornet Mowing

lawnmaniac883
07-04-2006, 05:58 PM
I noticed not many mentions about Dixie Chopper, here, this is a first, I've noticed here. Several LCO's use them, what are the thoughts on them here, as far as Maintenance and such, and Quailty verse Price.......Just curious Hornet Mowing

Well, the shop where Rob works has apparantly had good luck with them and repairs. I dont like them because of the industrial look they have. Seems to me 200 hours and they would look like 5 miles of gravel road...

Restrorob
07-04-2006, 06:31 PM
Well, the shop where Rob works has apparantly had good luck with them and repairs.

Yes maniac, We have had super luck with them. I feel like the maytag repair man sometimes. :laugh:

Seems to me 200 hours and they would look like 5 miles of gravel road...

At least they don't have paint on them that peels off like Gravely's are prone to doing. :p

lawnmaniac883
07-04-2006, 07:48 PM
At least they don't have paint on them that peels off like Gravely's are prone to doing. :p[/QUOTE]

Real funny ... :laugh: :laugh:

Jim@MilkyWay
07-04-2006, 11:04 PM
Hey;
That is funny.:usflag: :laugh:

doublesharp
07-04-2006, 11:20 PM
I noticed not many mentions about Dixie Chopper, here, this is a first, I've noticed here. Several LCO's use them, what are the thoughts on them here, as far as Maintenance

When I first came around DC was THE mower. Eric Elm was the DC king and one of the nicest forum members ever. I've got the cheapest DC they ever made. A 20 year anniversary model that they sold for $4995 in 2000, supposedly the same price they were in 1980. 17 hp Kohler with 50" deck. Plain jane painted grey, no stainless but the wheel motors and hydro system is the same as the higher priced mowers. I'm the only user and my mower looks new. It could use a little more power but its adequate and I use less than a gallon of gas per hour. I hope the wheel motor was just bad luck as I like the mower and it suits my needs fine.

hdtvluvr
07-05-2006, 08:20 AM
I've got a 2003 model DC with 82 hours so far. I haven't had any problems that I didn't cause. I get the oil, filter, air filter, etc. changed and the
blades sharpened before each season.

If I need to ever buy another ztr, I'll get a dixie chopper. My DC dealer also sells Maruyama. I'm looking at getting one of their backpack blowers.