PDA

View Full Version : Lastec Articulator Update !!

MJB
07-04-2006, 01:34 AM
I just spent the last 5 days demoing the 72" Lastec Articulator with the Kubota Diesel engine. What a sweet machine, I was cutting at 8 mph going over some bumpy areas and it just floats, I sped up to 10 and it still did great no more back pain from the bumps (yahoo). The center wheel rides under your feet, the outside wheels move according to the terrain and this mower flat gets it done side discharging. Unfortunately this mower came set up with high lift blades which shoots the grass 3 stripes away and more. I wanted to try the muching kit but have not received one yet to install. Gator blades would have helped too, but all in all I like the ride the cut, and the speed. If you are in the market for a new mower call your Lastec rep. ask for a demo and sharp blades. This one had 80 hrs of abuse on the blades so I sharpened them and it made a big difference in cut quality. I'm waiting to find out about the 61" I don't know which way I will go yet. I have never seen a 72" deck go over burms and bumps, and hills, and you name it, with very few areas that present a problem at all. I don't think I can go back to a solid deck..... www.lastec.com

Apples
07-04-2006, 08:44 AM
MJB,thanks for the update! I am still waiting for my demo. They let you keep it for 5 days? That is a true demo, very nice! Did you cut any any over grown or thick grass? How was it in wet conditions? Were you happy with the power? Thanks,
Mike

MJB
07-04-2006, 08:35 PM
Apples I cut about 2 acres of dripping wet grass from the due , we dropped down into the 40' s and the dew was heavy. This went through it no problem, it required a second pass to clean it up, I made a 3rd pass on a few rows. But it shoots the wet grass 12 ft and dry about 18 to 20 ft. This mower says 10 mph, but it seems a lot faster, than my Grasshopper or Exmark. Quality does deteriorate at the higher speeds but I always raise my deck and make another pass anyway. My customers don't want to see clippings on the lawn they are picky. You can change the deck height very easy just move a lever up or down 1/4 " increments no resistance. This machine is actually a 2004 with a turbo Kubota diesel engine. I did notice a problem that in 100 degrees the engine cover doesn't let the air move thru and it will heat up. I opened the engine cowl and it cooled down in less than a minute. So this needs to be addressed with another vent. You will never want to mow with another fixed deck mower after you get used to this. I am anxous to talk to them about a price on a 61" versus this 72" demo unit. Articulators rock !!!!:cool2:

jtkplc
08-19-2006, 06:42 PM
I see in your signature that you have a new Super Z. Were you looking at getting a Lastec? If so, what changed your mind?

On your demo, did the middle wheel mark show up on the lawn? That's a worry I have about it. What kind of prices were you quoted on the different machines? James that I talked to on the phone back in January said the 72" diesel was $18,000, which is outrageous.

MJB
08-19-2006, 08:37 PM
I see in your signature that you have a new Super Z. Were you looking at getting a Lastec? If so, what changed your mind?

On your demo, did the middle wheel mark show up on the lawn? That's a worry I have about it. What kind of prices were you quoted on the different machines? James that I talked to on the phone back in January said the 72" diesel was $18,000, which is outrageous.
I was seriously looking at them , but the dealer support just hasn't reached this area yet. The only dealer that took them on up here is the one with the worst record of providing support.

I demoed the older 2004 72" diesel and was very impressed. That by far is the smoothest machine there is. The cut and stripe was great too. I only demoed the side discharge on the 72". This one had 2 problems which probably have been fixed on the new ones. The diesel needs more openings in the engine compartment to let air cool the engine. It overheated at 100 degrees 1 day. The pump belt was to small for such a heavy duty machine.

The 61" came in and the dealer delivered it to me 100 miles away , but forgot to put the rest of the mulch kit on it. They left it with me to try I said to send me the 3 plates to cover the rear discharge openings. They never arrived so after 2 weeks I bought the Hustler. I liked the dealer support with hustler. I would have liked to try the Lastec mulcher out, I'm sure it would side discharge great with the gaterblade setup. As far as the center wheel leaving a wheel mark , you really don't notice it. The 61" has rubber striping flap. The 72" had a roller that you could use or pull a lever and raise it when not in use. I am storing the 61" right now until the dealer commes and gets it. If you want some pictures let me know. Oh yeah, Suggested retail $12500 for the 61" 72" around 18. The 72 demo model was for sale for
$12000

The only other dislike I had was no trimside like most decks. This mower would work great otherwise.

jtkplc
08-19-2006, 10:47 PM
I was seriously looking at them , but the dealer support just hasn't reached this area yet. The only dealer that took them on up here is the one with the worst record of providing support.

I demoed the older 2004 72" diesel and was very impressed. That by far is the smoothest machine there is. The cut and stripe was great too. I only demoed the side discharge on the 72". This one had 2 problems which probably have been fixed on the new ones. The diesel needs more openings in the engine compartment to let air cool the engine. It overheated at 100 degrees 1 day. The pump belt was to small for such a heavy duty machine.

The 61" came in and the dealer delivered it to me 100 miles away , but forgot to put the rest of the mulch kit on it. They left it with me to try I said to send me the 3 plates to cover the rear discharge openings. They never arrived so after 2 weeks I bought the Hustler. I liked the dealer support with hustler. I would have liked to try the Lastec mulcher out, I'm sure it would side discharge great with the gaterblade setup. As far as the center wheel leaving a wheel mark , you really don't notice it. The 61" has rubber striping flap. The 72" had a roller that you could use or pull a lever and raise it when not in use. I am storing the 61" right now until the dealer commes and gets it. If you want some pictures let me know. Oh yeah, Suggested retail $12500 for the 61" 72" around 18. The 72 demo model was for sale for
$12000

The only other dislike I had was no trimside like most decks. This mower would work great otherwise.

Sure, I'd like to see more pictures. That's one thing I haven't seen enough of with this machine. I've searched around here and have only found 4 or 5 pics.

I think I could deal with no trim side but be able to take a 72" mower in places that require my 21" or 36" mower!

Envy Lawn Service
08-20-2006, 01:02 AM
I really have nothing against these mowers at all.
But beyond the articulating decks... I just haven't seen anything else special about them.

So I am sorry... $18,000... no thanks.
It's nice and all, but it's still just a dedicated lawn mower.

milsaps118
08-20-2006, 01:32 AM
MJB- Do you know if there are any other options as far as a bagging system for clean ups? Or dethatch rake(I'm sure you could make one work)? I checked out the web site and they don't mention any options as far as attachments. What kind of warranty if you know. They seem like a sweet mower but I think that the prices are a killer for most of us.

MJB
08-20-2006, 01:37 AM
Sure, I'd like to see more pictures. That's one thing I haven't seen enough of with this machine. I've searched around here and have only found 4 or 5 pics.

I think I could deal with no trim side but be able to take a 72" mower in places that require my 21" or 36" mower!

These are closeups of the 61" This is a really well built mower but I'm sure we can find things we don't like about it. I didn't like the fact that the seat was mounted to far back it's made for 6' +++++. If your shorter than 6 ft it might not be easy to reach the pedals. I'm not sure about the flap I think it needs to be raised up so it doesn't drag the gravel, I wish I could of mowed with it set up right to really compare. Look how deep the deck is I like that a lot.

MJB
08-20-2006, 01:45 AM
MJB- Do you know if there are any other options as far as a bagging system for clean ups? Or dethatch rake(I'm sure you could make one work)? I checked out the web site and they don't mention any options as far as attachments. What kind of warranty if you know. They seem like a sweet mower but I think that the prices are a killer for most of us.

Sidedischarge, rear discharge and mulch is all I know they do. I did not get into the warranty. This is a mower that I wish I could have on my trailer to run with my Hustler. I like it for those hard to mow undulating surfaces that I seem to be getting more and more of. But I would not jump on it at this price. I would like to see them get down to $9500 but I doubt that will ever happen. Again I would have to see it cut before paying more. I guess I should of tried harder to get the mulching plates so I could give you more info.

Mowingman
08-20-2006, 09:45 AM
I do not see any grease fittings on that articulation joint. Are there any?

DUSTYCEDAR
08-20-2006, 10:10 AM
its nice to see they gave u a demo to use that is rare in this day

jtkplc
08-21-2006, 05:55 PM
These are closeups of the 61" This is a really well built mower but I'm sure we can find things we don't like about it. I didn't like the fact that the seat was mounted to far back it's made for 6' +++++. If your shorter than 6 ft it might not be easy to reach the pedals. I'm not sure about the flap I think it needs to be raised up so it doesn't drag the gravel, I wish I could of mowed with it set up right to really compare. Look how deep the deck is I like that a lot.

Thanks for the pics. What do the foot pedals do?

Travis Followell
08-21-2006, 07:59 PM
Thanks for the pics. What do the foot pedals do?
They are attached to the control levers so you can drive the machine with your feet if your good enough. I demoed a 61A last fall and it really takes a lot of time on the machine to get good enough with the foot pedals to control the machine. The first time I tried it I was all over the place.

jtkplc
08-21-2006, 08:12 PM
They are attached to the control levers so you can drive the machine with your feet if your good enough. I demoed a 61A last fall and it really takes a lot of time on the machine to get good enough with the foot pedals to control the machine. The first time I tried it I was all over the place.

Interesting. I wasn't aware of that being on the Lastec. It seems like it would be pretty difficult to coordinate your feet together, being that you don't do many things with your feet that require them to work side by side.

Envy Lawn Service
08-21-2006, 10:56 PM
That would be OK for times when you wanted to let go of the sticks a minute.
That's about all.