PDA

View Full Version : who does the repair???

Brianslawn
07-04-2006, 01:35 AM
say you run over a pipe or wire and break it... but turns out the reason why you hit it was because it wasnt to code to begin with. it shouldve been barried deeper. do you fix it or tell them to have the person that didnt put it in right to begin with fix it?

Nosmo
07-04-2006, 07:02 AM
If it is not up to code (depth) and an LCO runs over it how in the world would a person even know it is buried there.

If the buried cable, pipe (water) or gas pipe was buried too shallow it would seem it would be up to the homeowner to get it repaired. His recovery for the costs would be to seek satisfaction from the original contractor.

Richard Martin
07-04-2006, 09:01 AM
How do you break a pipe or wire that's buried with a lawnmower or trimmer? If it's sticking out of the ground then it's your fault regardless of whether or not it's up to code.

topsites
07-04-2006, 10:06 AM
My company is not responsible for damages to or from objects in yard.
The customer is not responsible for damages to equipment / worker injury.

So, whoever pays for the pipe I don't care but it ain't me, I fix / pay for the equipment damage.

Nosmo
07-04-2006, 10:42 AM
How do you break a pipe or wire that's buried with a lawnmower or trimmer? If it's sticking out of the ground then it's your fault regardless of whether or not it's up to code.

It wouldn't be hard to crush a PVC pipe with a ZTR which weighs over 1,000 lbs. with a 200 lb. driver and 10 gallons or so of gasoline aboard. That is if the pipe is near the surface.

I'm like topsites -- I am not gonna pay for the broken pipe
which can't even be seen just under the surface.

Nosmo

Richard Martin
07-04-2006, 11:36 AM
It wouldn't be hard to crush a PVC pipe with a ZTR which weighs over 1,000 lbs. with a 200 lb. driver and 10 gallons or so of gasoline aboard. That is if the pipe is near the surface.

Try it sometime. While the mower as a whole may be heavy the weight on each individual tire isn't enough to break PVC pipe.

Nosmo
07-04-2006, 12:54 PM
The weight itself may not crush it but: if there is a soft or hollow place underneath the pipe - be it conduit or pvc and if it is not supported by the ground what do you think will happen when half a ton of pressure is placed on it. I think PVC will spring back most of the time but electrical conduit or water pipe will bend and not spring back.

If the pipe is buried 18" and is in solid ground I think an elephant standing on it will have no effect.

Roger
07-04-2006, 01:40 PM
I recently hit a buried irrigation pipe running across the bed/turf edge. I was running my Stihl FC85 edger and suddenly saw water bubbling out of the ground. On closer examintion, I saw I hit the pipe, breaking out a small chunk.

I left a note for the homeowner what happened and where the problem happened. He never responded to me, but the next week it was fixed. I remain confused why I hit it that day as I have been running the edger across that area for a couple of years.

However, a couple of weeks ago, I broke a piece of vinyl fence (see another thread on this topic). A picket came off the cross member of the gate. I think the picket, not the gate frame, was grabbed to close the gate. The fence forms a pen for two dogs and leaving the picket loose made the pen vulnerable to the dogs being lost. I found string in the truck to make a temporary fix, and left a note.

I felt responsible to make the repair. After some investigation on how to fix, I bought some glue, returned to fix the gate. I'm concerned my glue fix will not last, so am looking for a better way to repair.

Was my gate repair out of line? Was I out of line NOT to repair the irrigation pipe? I appear to be inconsistent in my approch to these matters. What do you think?

Brianslawn
07-04-2006, 06:46 PM
2 years ago one of the crews hit some romac (sp?) wire ran across the back yard above ground to wire up a pool. homeowner job or something. shouldve been in conduit or used 'u' seriies wire and barried underground. we fixed it, but shouldve just told them to deal with it.

if it was done wrong to begin with, we shouldnt have any responsibility.