PDA

View Full Version : Enclosed trailers

Titans Fan
07-04-2006, 12:30 PM
Just curious how many of you guys use enclosed trailers.

What are the pluses and minuses of using an enclosed trailer?

What would be the average price on an enclosed trailer, one big enough to haul a 52" Exmark.

Thanks!

greengiant9963
07-04-2006, 01:35 PM
I was actually thinking of going enclosed myself..after a bit of thinking going to stay with the open. The pros that I could think of is keeping you equipment out of the weather, theft would be more difficult for trimmers, blowers..etc. Cons...less visibility..hotter than hell in the summer even with vent open.

TURF DOCTOR
07-04-2006, 02:13 PM
For mowing to me nothing can beat a enclosed.

TLS
07-04-2006, 02:38 PM
My only concern is at the gas pumps....fueling up is a breeze with an open trailer.

I would also NEED a side ramp gate not a door on the side if I went with an enclosed.

MudslinginFX4
07-04-2006, 02:50 PM
I've used both, and I have gone back to an open system. I still have a 20' enclosed trailer, as well as a 16' open and a 18' open. I actually have switched back because of the safety of employees pulling a big enclosed trailer, etc.. Not to mention, my enclosed trailer ate through tires, brakes etc.. much faster then my open ones.

I bought my first landscape body truck not too long ago, all of my mowing will be done with these over the next year or so. I will phase out trailers all together, I love these trucks.

smoothbore2004
07-06-2006, 10:32 PM
i started out with an open and was using up alot of time in the morning and evening loading and unlaoding all the equipment. Plus i seemed to always not have something small that i needed for a odd job like pruners or edger or something, so i figured I could get an enclosed and keep everything with me at all times so when a customer had a branch hangin i could get the pruners out and clip it off right then, or if the weather was lookin bad not a problem i was covered when it did rain. Not to mention it just lookes more professional than the open trailers showning all those dirty mowers. In upscale neighborhoods that can make an impression on some customers or potential customers. Good luck hope this helps.

smoothbore2004
07-06-2006, 10:36 PM
also as for your second part of your question i bought a 18x7 and got my 61" scag ztr, 48" scag ztr, push mower, 2 trimmers, 2 blowers, power edger, hedge clippers, pole saw, 6' A frame ladder, all my hand tools and such in it with me at all times. bought it last year for $5000

TLS
07-06-2006, 10:36 PM
How do you enclosed guys do the gas station routine?

Ground Scapes
07-06-2006, 10:42 PM
at a gas station you would have to pull everything out to fill it, but it would be nice because you wouldnt have to worry about things getting stollen or wet in the rain

TLS
07-06-2006, 10:44 PM
I've seen guys have 1' square little "gas doors" built in to the sides. Slip the nozzle in and fuel it up.

That or a 30 some gallon tank somewhere on the trailer?

smoothbore2004
07-06-2006, 10:45 PM
as for the gas station i would keep 3 five gallon gas cans with me and fill them up and then fill the mowers up as needed, yeah it sounds like a pita but wasnt that bad at all. Plus they do make enclosed trailers with fuel doors on the side, but thats the other nice thing if you need gas and that station is busy or what ever just find a place off to the side and take your cans up to the pump. That avoids trying to pull your trailer close enough to the pump and becoming a liability to some sorry driver that cant drive or not to mention the time you might take up two pumps and some guy feels tough that day and decided he is gonna say something to you. ANyway in my opinion its enclosed all the way for me.

TURF DOCTOR
07-06-2006, 10:47 PM
We mount a aluminum trailer box on the toung with two safty cans,we also have cans in the back of the truck for long days,what works for you is fine yesterday we got two inches of rain we cut all day we was still wet but the equipment stayed halfway dry we also have green touch 2.5 and 5 gallon cans mounted inside the trailer we went to redmax in 2004 and the trimmers and blowers look preety new the sun pulls the color out of em.

DFLS
11-21-2009, 09:44 PM

1 foot square fuel door, road side of trailer about 6 feet off the ground (outside) which is perfect entry point for the hose. I can peek thru the door to see the pump for filling the small premix cans to 2.5 gallons.

DFLS
11-21-2009, 09:46 PM
as for the gas station i would keep 3 five gallon gas cans with me and fill them up and then fill the mowers up as needed, yeah it sounds like a pita but wasnt that bad at all. Plus they do make enclosed trailers with fuel doors on the side, but thats the other nice thing if you need gas and that station is busy or what ever just find a place off to the side and take your cans up to the pump. That avoids trying to pull your trailer close enough to the pump and becoming a liability to some sorry driver that cant drive or not to mention the time you might take up two pumps and some guy feels tough that day and decided he is gonna say something to you. ANyway in my opinion its enclosed all the way for me.

I take two pumps 3 times a week. Can't count the number of times I have waited for someone to get their coffee, I think that is worse.

unkownfl
11-21-2009, 11:33 PM
I have a 6x12 I can refuel with the both mower in the trailer no problem with out any special doors. I have a side door and rear ramp and the hose is plenty long enough. My Toro z400 has a tank on both sides too and it reaches. Most gas station have hoses long enough to reach to the opposite side of the car with no problem.

HISnHERS
11-22-2009, 12:23 AM
Mine enclosed has windows on each side which we just slide open and pull the hose through. Getting close enough to reach the equipment hasn't been a problem at all. The windows are heavily tinted and hard to see in. This winter we're having the trailer wrapped which will further camouflage the windows. As a bonus they have screens and I leave the windows open when it's really hot - with the windows open and the roof vent, the trailer never gets very hot inside.

Chilehead
11-22-2009, 12:29 AM
The one thing about enclosed trailers that I don't like is when you're driving 65 on the expressway, and a huge gale-forced sidewind hits the trailer wall. You need to slow down in windy conditions to avoid losing control of your truck(unless you drive a dually).

ALC-GregH
11-22-2009, 11:11 AM
I take two pumps 3 times a week. Can't count the number of times I have waited for someone to get their coffee, I think that is worse.

Man I HATE when that happens. :cry:

DFLS
11-23-2009, 06:29 PM
see the fuel door on the driver's side:
http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/5736/img1652n.jpg (http://img109.imageshack.us/i/img1652n.jpg/) http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/img1652n.jpg/1/w640.png (http://g.imageshack.us/img109/img1652n.jpg/1/)

http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/4183/img1678g.jpg

punt66
11-23-2009, 06:34 PM
OK, my trailer hasnt seen the highway. My lawns arnt spread out that far hahha. I fuel with 5 gal cans. My equipment is out of the weather. Its safe and it looks professional.

http://www.lawnsite.com/picture.php?albumid=11&pictureid=96

supercuts
11-24-2009, 08:38 PM
to answer the original question: you can lock it up, so theft. on rainy days you can wait out the 15 min showers and all your equipment is still dry. my biggest thought when buying one was saving 15 mins in the morning and another 15 in the afternoon loading and unloading the open. come home, park it, lock it. simple. looks professional too.

cons, like they said. tires go quicker. filling mowers, i use 5 gal cans and fill the mowers each morning. i keep an extra 5 gal. can in the trailer. also, not as easy to get on and off (mine is 6.5' wide) and hard to fit everything with a bagger. visabilty is also worse while backing up

so....now i unload the mowers every morning to fill them and sharpen blades. i still love the enclosed trailers but i may go back to open for the 2nd crew