PDA

View Full Version : Brown spots and possible invasive turf

Mike_W
07-04-2006, 12:38 PM
Hello,
I was wondering if I could get some assistnace narrowing down what's going on in my new, finally-nice lawn. There appears to be two maladies which I've posted details and photos here:

http://users.crocker.com/~mwilliams/turf.htm

I was heading over to the lawn and garden shop to get some plain old mid-season fertilizer when I saw this and thought I best get some assistance figuring out what this is. Back in the 80's, I was teaching engineering at UMass when I sat in on many of the courses you need for a degree in turf grass mgt but I have to confess it seems every details has run and hid... or it's early onset Alzheimer's:) Thanks for any help.

Mike

North Ga
07-06-2006, 06:01 PM
Hello,
I was wondering if I could get some assistnace narrowing down what's going on in my new, finally-nice lawn. There appears to be two maladies which I've posted details and photos here:

http://users.crocker.com/~mwilliams/turf.htm

I was heading over to the lawn and garden shop to get some plain old mid-season fertilizer when I saw this and thought I best get some assistance figuring out what this is. Back in the 80's, I was teaching engineering at UMass when I sat in on many of the courses you need for a degree in turf grass mgt but I have to confess it seems every details has run and hid... or it's early onset Alzheimer's:) Thanks for any help.

Mike

Sent you an email.

HazyDavy
07-07-2006, 09:19 AM
Use ordinary yellow corn meal on the brown patches, or you can use cracked corn. Either pull the crabgrass, or Ortho makes a spray to kill crabgrass and nutgrass.

Mike_W
07-07-2006, 10:25 AM
Thank you both for your replies. I had surged ahead and put Preen stepsaver down as it made some claims about mature crabgrass as well. I think I'm going to followup with some of the Ortho though.

I'm not convinced that's all crabgrass in that photo. Two of the plants appear to be something else.. maybe tall fescue which is out of place in the turf it's in. I've surveyed the lawn and it appears confined to about a 10' square so I'll attack it with glyphosate on a plant by plant basis.

Ths spotting seems to have slowed way down with the slow down in rain so maybe it is a fungus. I have a bag of Scotts fungus control ready to go down tomorrow. Can I ask what the corn meal does? Thanks.

Mike