PDA

View Full Version : When you catch a thief... Red handed.

cahermit
07-04-2006, 01:53 PM
I have a relatively small business, with a small route, and 1 set of necessary equipment; mower, blower, hedge trimmer and string trimmer. A small trailer, with a cable that locks all of the equipment up. So the other day I was taking my mower and trimmer into the back yard of a residence, as is precaution for any equipment not locked up. For some reason I went back to the front, and there was a hispanic man leaning over my trailer. He didn't have anything in his hands, and his hands weren't in the trailer, and the blower, trimmer, and gas cans were locked up. So he sees me and asks if i could give him a business card so he could call me later for an estimate (his english vocabulary was probably in the area of about 25-30 words). I was kinda confused as to what was going on, I didn't see a car, so I assumed that he was a neighbor that walked up and was asking for an estimate. I gave him a card, and he ran across the street to a minivan with it's back hatch open jumped in and burned rubber with the back open. Oh S**T I thought:dizzy: . So I got his plate numbers and called him in to the local coppers:clapping: .
Don't know what good it did, but what would you have done in this situation? I have a sizable maglight in the front of my truck... I think I might consider that my first line of defense, or offense against the imposing threat of thieves:hammerhead: , but I'm not so sure that's legal.

RyanD
07-04-2006, 01:59 PM
I'm not sure what is legal either. I would say the maglite would be great if the person is assaulting you or they are continuing to try take you equipment after you have confronted them and are trying to stop them. Another way to stop them would be the string trimmer! Ouch!

TURF DOCTOR
07-04-2006, 02:10 PM
that or a kimber 45 to shoot him if he's unarmed put a weapon in his hand to call it self defense.

lawnmaniac883
07-04-2006, 02:26 PM
I'd run after him with a string trimmer. No hispanic with bad vocab wants YOU to cut their grass...

StBalor
07-04-2006, 03:32 PM
If i ever catch someone stealing something off my truck or trailer, i am gonna beat the **** out of them. Protect my lively hood 1st. Worry about what's legal after i beat him up then hold him down while the cops get there.

Tharrell
07-04-2006, 04:15 PM
o'boy o'boy o'boy o'boy o'boy. I've been salivating reading your thread. What I wouldn't do to catch one. The one I DO catch will just have to payup for all the other ones!

Tharrell
07-04-2006, 04:17 PM
I didn't put that "pay" thing in there. It just showed up.
Let's try something.............
pay pay pay pay pay pay pay pay pay

Rayholio
07-04-2006, 05:06 PM
Think I'd zip tie the bastard to the trailer, and take him on a little run..

Man I hate thieves...

lawnspecialties
07-04-2006, 05:56 PM
If i ever catch someone stealing something off my truck or trailer, i am gonna beat the **** out of them. Protect my lively hood 1st. Worry about what's legal after i beat him up then hold him down while the cops get there.

I'm with Balor. I swear, I think I could kick 6'7 330's butt (and I'm a big fan of his) if I saw him stealing my equipment. Adrenaline and flat out rage can be quite an asset.

If anyone remembers, I had a thread last October about my two new RedMax blowers getting stolen. I still remember the unbelieveable anger that set in once I realized what had just happened.:angry:

WJW Lawn
07-04-2006, 06:42 PM
Too bad you didnt have a chance to beat his pathetic A**

Brianslawn
07-04-2006, 06:57 PM
I'd run after him with a string trimmer. No hispanic with bad vocab wants YOU to cut their grass...

ive cut one before for a guy like that. paid cash up front and gave me a beer afterwards. nice guy he turned out to be. just cant trust anyone in this country anymore.

Dashunde
07-04-2006, 07:16 PM

You couldnt be more right.

Following that comment from him would be my left hook to his jaw while the right hand draws the Kahr.
Ok, so that would be my Missouri response, in CA I suppose I'd zap him with the stun-gun and watch him pi$$ his pants.
All while his friend(s) drive off leaving him behind. :waving:

HenryB
07-04-2006, 07:25 PM
My dog caught a guy at 3:30am robbing my shed. He stays out at night. Ripped open his stomach and leg. He went to the emergency room. It was punishment enough. Crazy part is he comes to my house a week later to apologize and ask for a job:nono:

K c m
07-04-2006, 07:37 PM
Before i head to the backyard always i look up and down the street. If i notice teens walking or something that might lead to a problem i tend to go inside my trailer and pretend to work on some equipment ya no? there fore they have no reason to stop.

Glad you cought this guy b4 anything bad happened.

lawnspecialties
07-04-2006, 10:38 PM
One more point to make here. I've thought what I'd do if I caught someone trying to make a getaway. Assault might be tough to deal with in a court of law. But, if someone's trying to steal your equipment, why can't you damage their getaway vehicle as much as possible. Just think, some acehole jumping in his truck with your stuff. If you have a trimmer, shovel, etc. I swear, they'd get more damage in that vehicle than what the theft was worth.:laugh:

6'7 330
07-04-2006, 10:47 PM
The proper thing is getting the plates and calling the cops,or something as lawnspecialties proposed, or along the lines of detaining the perpetrator. It is best to keep your equipment locked up when not in sight, or have your equipment and trailer where you can keep an eye on it. This is my livelihood to, and I could quite literally even while not being possessed by rage, pull a man’s head right off his shoulders. However, it is best if all possible not to attack thieves working in the field, IF they do not assault you. You get in an altercation with a thief, and your attorney and court fees can literally bankrupt you. The laws some states have on the books, put you behind the eight ball .

Moreover, while I have no qualms about defending one’s self or going packing, many times the other fella is packing to, and in this world, 10-year-old children can often go packing. You have to size up and ascertain the complete situation, and make a judgment call if it is worth court, attorney, and possible jail time. Years ago, in what now seems like an eternity ago, we did HUD homes in Chicago, and for this reason, I would never do HUD again. The HUD accounts in inner city Chicago and some suburbs are not worth going packed and possibly killing or going to jail.

jfenton
07-04-2006, 10:57 PM
Caught a guy once, bending over my trailer with a small car and another guy inside parked alongside. Chucked a big pair of hedgeing shears at him, they went whistling about a foot over his head. He got in the car with a blower and burned out of there. Got his plate #,called the cops, and wonder of wonders they caught him and I got my blower back. He'd fenced it, but the cops sweated him and he rolled over on the fence. Sold my $600 blower for $50 ( canadian). Lowlife

J&R Landscaping
07-04-2006, 10:58 PM
Sounds like a good idea to me! Damage the veichle they are trying to get away in. I ALWAYS have a pocket knife on me and if someone was trying to get away with my equipment and I had to, I'd just slash his tires! He wouldn't be going to far then.....

Mowpower
07-04-2006, 11:14 PM
Thing is you damage his car and he turns around and sues you. Best bet is knock him out lay him down on the grass and raise the mower deck up. Whhaatt, what that's what MULCHING blades are for right?

lawnman_scott
07-04-2006, 11:43 PM
I would call the police if someone was stealing from me. Is a hedge trimmer worth dying over?

General Landscaping
07-04-2006, 11:49 PM
The guys family would never have the satisfaction of knowing what happened.

I would.
shark sh!t.

Scotts' Yard Care
07-04-2006, 11:51 PM
while there's some great ideas of what we'd all like to do to these scum it wouldn't hurt to do some checking with your local jurisdiction and those you work in. We had a great old sheriff, when I was a kid, who told us to shoot any sob we caught beaking in our house. He added to just make sure we killed the perp and drug his body inside the house:laugh: Times have changed and we're not near as Wild West as we used to be though most of us would still follow that advice to this day. On the job site would be a little more murky but what does your local police department recommend? Cops will sometimes give you nuanced advice off the record as to what really happens in these types of circumstances. Might save you a world of grief and allow you to put yourself in the right legally while still getting some immediate satisfaction on the thief.

JT1304
07-05-2006, 12:02 AM
My dog caught a guy at 3:30am robbing my shed. He stays out at night. Ripped open his stomach and leg. He went to the emergency room. It was punishment enough. Crazy part is he comes to my house a week later to apologize and ask for a job:nono:

I wish my dog had the losers that broke into my shop(twice). Dont get me wrong , my dog is 12 pounds of fury. Thats right! Nothing like having a Shih Tzu for protection.:weightlifter:

driver5
07-05-2006, 12:11 AM
beat the thieves azz

but i also like the idea of turning the string trimmer on them too...

StBalor
07-05-2006, 12:36 AM
while there's some great ideas of what we'd all like to do to these scum it wouldn't hurt to do some checking with your local jurisdiction and those you work in. We had a great old sheriff, when I was a kid, who told us to shoot any sob we caught beaking in our house. He added to just make sure we killed the perp and drug his body inside the house:laugh: Times have changed and we're not near as Wild West as we used to be though most of us would still follow that advice to this day. On the job site would be a little more murky but what does your local police department recommend? Cops will sometimes give you nuanced advice off the record as to what really happens in these types of circumstances. Might save you a world of grief and allow you to put yourself in the right legally while still getting some immediate satisfaction on the thief.

I could care less what the ramifications of me kicking someones ass who was trying to steal something of my truck. I would know i was in the right to protect my belongings no matter what a judge said.

topsites
07-05-2006, 12:42 AM
First of all, nobody knows for sure if this hispano was stealing, but that brings up something I've always found REAL interesting:

Ever since my bp blower walked away, anytime I see motion out of the corner of my eye, I look towards the truck anymore...
Matter of fact, I sneak looks at the truck a lot for no reason, all the time, I always think, look at the truck a LOT...

What I noticed is a LOT of folks just walking down the road (we're talking residents out for a stroll) can not resist, they'll even cross the flippin' road and throw their head over the side of my p'up bed...and keep on going...

That's real messed up, but so it is also not an indication this hispano was stealing... Thou I admit it was strange, I also noticed anytime a passer-by catches me looking at him/her as they're staring into the bed, they slink away with a half-guilty look... But they weren't stealing, it kills me that they all just HAVE to look inside if stealing wasn't their intention, but that's the way it is.

beat the thieves azz

but i also like the idea of turning the string trimmer on them too...

Ohhh yeah, before I got good with the trimmer, I had a bad habit of zinging the back of my leg with the string, must've done this a dozen times before I learned. Most of the time it just stings, but if you do it good and hard, that string eats through skin and flesh over top of jeans. No doubt bro, someone look and that's a bad boy, but they toucha and I run-n-hitta LOL.

Dashunde
07-05-2006, 12:47 AM
Charged with Assault? Not gonna happen...
If you beat the snot out of, or zap, or otherwise disable someone who is rooting around in your trailer, who got into a nice neighborhood in a p.o.s. van, no cop is going to say a thing about it - provided your record is clean.

Instead they'll insult him further by locking him up for whatever they can apply; tresspassing, attempted theivery, illegal immigrant, ect... and God help em' if they already have a criminal record.
Thats the way it works in West County St. Louis anyway...

EMWEB
07-05-2006, 01:08 AM
Heck, if you catch them put a chain around their neck, hook it to a big piece of equip and a trimmer in his hand . . . Put them to work . . . .

olderthandirt
07-05-2006, 01:48 AM
For some reason I went back to the front, and there was a hispanic man leaning over my trailer. He didn't have anything in his hands, and his hands weren't in the trailer, and the blower, trimmer, and gas cans were locked up. So he sees me and asks if i could give him a business card so he could call me later for an estimate

Would have gave him a card for an estimate. Looking ain't against the law :confused:

jsf343
07-05-2006, 03:19 AM

hahahahahahaha:laugh:

Tharrell
07-05-2006, 06:29 AM
I understand the logical responses but, when your adrenaline is raging you aren't really thinking straight. I went berserk last year when all of my stuff was stolen. I had all kinds of evil things cooking and I still think about it when I read a thread like this one.
Again, I pity the one I catch someday.

lawncarepros2004
07-05-2006, 10:38 AM
i prey for the day somebody steals all my **** so i can get out of this racket.

topsites
07-05-2006, 12:08 PM
I understand the logical responses but, when your adrenaline is raging you aren't really thinking straight. I went berserk last year when all of my stuff was stolen. I had all kinds of evil things cooking and I still think about it when I read a thread like this one.
Again, I pity the one I catch someday.

Very true, I know exactly what you mean, again I was just saying because I'm not so sure I could control myself either... Even if they have not (keyword: yet) taken something, I don't like the strollers that are just walking down the road HAVING to take a peek inside either because it gets me thinking of dirty stuff to do, too.

Brendan Smith
07-05-2006, 01:16 PM
not to hijack the thread, but isn't that the james brown mugshot (your avatar)?

gmenvirolawns
07-05-2006, 02:43 PM
I have several maintenace crews, several years ago we were servicing a school district here in my area. The truck had 3 z turns on it which were in use at the time my 2 blowers and 3 string trimmers were stolen. One af my employees said he had seen a group of hispanics in an old van driving around the place scoping it out but thought nothing about it. i lost big that day. I swore I would catch the guys but never saw the van again.

cahermit
07-05-2006, 02:51 PM
So, some interesting responses. I do have some things to add,
1) as I said he didn't have anything in his hands, BUT everything was locked up, so he couldn't take it.
2) When he left, it appeared that he went back the way he came... According to the direction he was facing when I saw him.
3) Why do you open the back of your van to ask a guy for an estimate? Why do you then proceed to burn rubber with your van still open, if only asking for an estimate? Good thing he did though, cause the hatch slammed down and I was able to get his plates!
4) Until I saw the open van, I was weary, but unconfirmed... I should have noticed the van across the street, said "oh ya, I got a business card for ya let me get it" leaned over into the cab of my truck and grabbed the maglite, and came out swinging with one hand and the cell phone in the other.:hammerhead:

But in response to this incident, I am contacting the local authorities and getting some advice on the situation and my rights as a business owner, protecting my business. I mean if I had a gas station and someone robbed me, I could shoot them right? May even look into getting a CCW to carry my glock with me on my route... Or at least in my car.

As far as them packing, well, if they spend as much time at the range as I do, then I'll be scared, otherwise, they had better hope that anger doesn't make me shoot more than once, cause that's all it'll take, the rest will be just for fun.:rolleyes:

olderthandirt
07-05-2006, 03:05 PM
So, some interesting responses. I do have some things to add,
1) as I said he didn't have anything in his hands, BUT everything was locked up, so he couldn't take it.
2) When he left, it appeared that he went back the way he came... According to the direction he was facing when I saw him.
3) Why do you open the back of your van to ask a guy for an estimate? Why do you then proceed to burn rubber with your van still open, if only asking for an estimate? Good thing he did though, cause the hatch slammed down and I was able to get his plates!
4) Until I saw the open van, I was weary, but unconfirmed... I should have noticed the van across the street, said "oh ya, I got a business card for ya let me get it" leaned over into the cab of my truck and grabbed the maglite, and came out swinging with one hand and the cell phone in the other.:hammerhead:

But in response to this incident, I am contacting the local authorities and getting some advice on the situation and my rights as a business owner, protecting my business. I mean if I had a gas station and someone robbed me, I could shoot them right? May even look into getting a CCW to carry my glock with me on my route... Or at least in my car.

As far as them packing, well, if they spend as much time at the range as I do, then I'll be scared, otherwise, they had better hope that anger doesn't make me shoot more than once, cause that's all it'll take, the rest will be just for fun.:rolleyes:

Damn so now you want to shoot someone for stealing and think you will get away with it? :confused: The minute you point that gun at someone better have the cell phone in hand to contact your attorney your definatly gonna need one.
I do hope you contact the authorities and find out whats your right are before you lose everything including your freedom. :nono:

Rayholio
07-05-2006, 03:11 PM
CCW laws in Missouri allow me to carry a condition 1 fire-arm concealed in my vehicle.. If I want to carry on my person, then I have to get licensed. As much as people like us are 'out and about’ you never can tell when we may need the proper tools to protect ourselves, or others.

With that said, just because you have a CCW doesn't mean that you can shoot people without having to explain yourself. Actually, courts would probably judge you more severely because you have been educated and should know better.

Here's why a CCW would not help you in this situation:

1. Public display of a firearm is illegal unless justified

2. Justification includes yourself or someone else’s life being directly threatened..

3. Remember that you're not a home, so even if your state allows you to protect your land, your property is fair game..

SO...

If the thief pulls a firearm, or threatens your life, then you can display your firearm, and possibly shoot.

If the thief just wants to steal your stuff, or wants to punch you in the face, you have to fight using the old hand method.. UNLESS the thief has found your firearm, and is trying to take it from you.. then you're in a grey area..

If you carry a firearm, PLEASE be responsible with it.

K c m
07-05-2006, 03:21 PM

HAHAHAHAH I hear ya man. IM about to undertake a new venture soon so mowing will be really PART PART TIME. good luck.

Tharrell
07-05-2006, 04:01 PM
Aw, just shoot'em in the nads and worry about it later. You'll be all over TV maybe even Oprah! Then you can write a book and pay your attorney. I say, look for a cornfield where nobody can see what you do!

Rayholio
07-05-2006, 05:34 PM
I think it would be much more satisfying to rip 'em apart with my hands.. :) or as I say, Zip tie them to the bumper, and go for a drive...

(man I love Zip-ties!)

Dashunde
07-05-2006, 08:10 PM
If the thief just wants to steal your stuff, or wants to punch you in the face, you have to fight using the old hand method...

Wrong Ray, many a person has been killed by a punch to the wrong place.
If they come at you in a "fighting way" point the gun at their chest, if they continue coming at you pull the trigger.

As the old saying goes, its better to be judged by 12 then maimed or killed by 1 or 2.
You'd also have the upper hand in court whereas you were there doing your work minding your own business - not too many jury's would convict a guy of giving a dirt nap to (presumably) an illegal who is there only to steal your stuff, then when caught wants to rumble right there in the street - in the end, that thief is asking for it and deserves his fate.

Rayholio
07-06-2006, 02:10 AM
I would say that if they pull a knife.... shoot 'em... if they come at you with a big stick... shoot 'em... I wouldn't be so quick to kill just to keep someone from knocking me down and taking my blower... but Technically, you're right.. Everything about CCL training is designed to teach you that use of a firearm is a last resort, and every effort should be made to diffuse the situation before it gets to that point. however, If you feel that your life is in danger, and can proove it to some degree in court, then you can kill, as long as you follow the rules that are laid out..

If you're feeling threatened Announce that you are armed, and will defend yourself.. if that doesn't sway them, then you display your firearm, and say it again.. If they keep coming... unload the gun in their chest.. then you're pretty safe from the law.. especially if you have a witness, because you warned them, and gave them an oppertunity to flee. They made their decision..

Assuming that you're not breaking any gun laws in the place that this happens (within so many feet of a school etc.) you should be ok..

But if you see someone stealing your stuff, and they glare a mean look at you when you tell them to stop.... That's not justification to kill them... unfortunately.

cahermit
07-06-2006, 05:25 AM
I wasn't saying kill the guy, I was saying non-physically restrain him until law enforcement arrives. And what I was actually thinking was the reprecussions of bonking him one with the maglite. If he had a buddy who was packing over in that van, I could have been in some deep doo doo with just a mag lite. The way I see it, people get concealed weapons permits to bring their bank deposits from their business to the bank, and we consistantly travel with a lot of valuable equipment... We should have the right to protect our assets and "livelihood". I have become aware of a growing number of people (especially in my area) that have had things stolen from their trailer, in front of the house, while they were right there mowing. The theives casually drive up and grab the equipment out of the window of the car, and drive off with it still outside the car. Ballsy!

So in the instance that someone tries to rob me at gun point for all of my equipment it'd be nice to have something around to compete... :)

anj
07-06-2006, 06:47 AM
I Read This Thread When It Was First Posted And Its Sad That Yesterday I Was Almost Hit By Criminals Again. The Most Sad Part About The Incidence Is The Criminal Was Driving A Lawn Care Truck. My Helper And I Pulled Up Into A Subdivision To Do Our Last Prop For The Day And As We Got Out Of The Truck Another Lco Came Down The Street Behind Us And Blew The Horn As They Went By. We Proceeded To Start On The Prop Me In The Back With My 21" And My Helper In The Front With My 36". I Have Been Trying To Keep Us From Being In The Same Area Of A Prop Since I Had My Equipment Taken A Couple Of Weeks Ago. I Came Back Around The House And Got My Weedeater Off The Trailer And Went To The Back To Trim And Told My Helper He Needed To Lower The Deck On The Mower And Go Over The Front One More Time He Is In Training. I Was Trying To Time It So By The Time He Was Blowing And Heading To The Back I Would Be Heading To The Front. I Knew He Had Left The 36" At The Door Of The Trailer Because My 60" Was Blocking The Door And He Couldnt Get It Up The Ramp. As I Was Heading Around The House Who Has Pulled Up To My Trailer. This Same Lco That Went By Me As We Were Unloading The Trailer. He Probably Had Been Sitting Their For A Couple Of Seconds Trying To Decide What He Could Take. I Yelled At Him And He Tried To Play It Off By Rolling Down His Window Asking Me If I Needed Some Help. I Told Him I Didnt Need His Help And The Best Thing For Him To Do Is Go On Down The Street. I Am Convinced That these Guys Followed Us Into The Subdivison And Parked At The End Of The Road And Waited For Us To Get Out Of Site Of The Trailer. How do you have time follow crews and see if they slip up and leave stuff unsecured? This Really Makes Me Mad. How Can You Take Another Lco's Equipment When You Know They Need Their Stuff To Work Just Like You Do? From Now On My Trailer Will Be Locked At All Prop Even If One Of Us Is In The Front. I Am Giving My Helper A Key To Of The Locks Since Most Of The Time I Just Lock On Side And Pull The Arm Over The Other Side But Dont Lock It.

F150
7x14 Enclosed Horton Hauler
Exmark 60" Ultra Cut
Exmark 36 Hydro Turf Tracer
Exmark 21"
2 Fs 90 Sthil Weed Eaters
550 Blower
420 Blower
Sthil Hedge Trimmers
Fc72 Stick Edger
Km110/w Hedge Attach/ Weedeater Attach

lawncarepros2004
07-06-2006, 10:15 AM
not to hijack the thread, but isn't that the james brown mugshot (your avatar)?
jump back and kiss myself. haaa sem mo lina haaaaaaaaaaaaa. yes that is the godfather of soul.

Dashunde
07-06-2006, 09:18 PM
I would say that if they pull a knife.... shoot 'em... if they come at you with a big stick... shoot 'em... I wouldn't be so quick to kill just to keep someone from knocking me down and taking my blower... but Technically, you're right.. Everything about CCL training is designed to teach you that use of a firearm is a last resort, and every effort should be made to diffuse the situation before it gets to that point. however, If you feel that your life is in danger, and can prove it to some degree in court, then you can kill, as long as you follow the rules that are laid out..

If you're feeling threatened Announce that you are armed, and will defend yourself.. if that doesn't sway them, then you display your firearm, and say it again.. If they keep coming... unload the gun in their chest.. then you're pretty safe from the law.. especially if you have a witness, because you warned them, and gave them an opportunity to flee. They made their decision..

Assuming that you're not breaking any gun laws in the place that this happens (within so many feet of a school etc.) you should be ok..

But if you see someone stealing your stuff, and they glare a mean look at you when you tell them to stop.... That's not justification to kill them... unfortunately.

Well said Ray, and that is pretty much what they taught us too.
In Lawncare's situation he was quite vulnerable due to his not knowing about the people(s) in the parked van.
Regardless, I'm not about to get in a fist fight in that kind of situation - there is not enough time to size-up the other guy, no telling if he has a blade on him that would come out in the middle of a fight - and knives come out alot quicker than guns.
So in the end, after a more than fair warning, yea - I'd drop him if he kept coming forward.