PDA

View Full Version : I just dont know what to make of this vehicle

Liquidfast
07-04-2006, 07:07 PM
I am not sure what to think of this vehicle. I mean, with todays gas prices, could this be the LCO's vehicle of the future? You decide.

http://www.lawnmowing.net/gallery1.shtml

DodgeTruckMan731
07-04-2006, 07:19 PM
I dont think that could pull a 10,000 pound trailer full of topsoil or sod, or even hauling equipment. ill stick to a nice 3/4 ton truck or higher.

ASBK
07-04-2006, 07:19 PM
Judging by the headlights it looks like the front half of a Cavalier. I'll bet its on the S-10 frame too. Wonder if you could put a plow on it:cool2:

Liquidfast
07-04-2006, 07:29 PM
I believe this pic should be proudly displayed when a person worries about what other lco's in their area thinks about the equipment they use. Grant it, there are some seriously ghetto set-ups out there and this one is really not that bad but if I seen something like this in my neck of the woods, I would have a hard time working due to laughter.

MarcSmith
07-04-2006, 07:41 PM
Thats a holden Ute..more or less...At least it looks like it.

Its the Holden Version of the El camino...http://www.holden.com.au/www-holden/action/vehicleentry?vehicleid=15

Proably no worse than a s-10 or a ford ranger

mjohnson1
07-04-2006, 09:13 PM
theres a "mississippi road" in australia?

SWD
07-04-2006, 11:59 PM
First off, in Australia, fuel is about five times more expensive than it is here.
Secondly, you will see very few 3/4 ton or above trucks running around configured for this type of work.
The vehicle in the picture is nominally called a "ute" and chassis configurations like that are common.
Road taxes, fuel taxes, insurance, devaluing dollar all add up to making due with less. Importation fees for equipment manufactured outside of Australia can be as much as three times the purchase price.
I would be very surprised if there weren't more vehicles just like that.

topsites
07-05-2006, 12:16 AM
First off, in Australia, fuel is about five times more expensive than it is here.
Secondly, you will see very few 3/4 ton or above trucks running around configured for this type of work.
The vehicle in the picture is nominally called a "ute" and chassis configurations like that are common.
Road taxes, fuel taxes, insurance, devaluing dollar all add up to making due with less. Importation fees for equipment manufactured outside of Australia can be as much as three times the purchase price.
I would be very surprised if there weren't more vehicles just like that.

Personally speaking, considering the 'fuel price complaints' thread in another section is one of the longest on-going discussions, perhaps we ought to take lessons from the Aussies, and also the Europeans. Every 3rd vehicle on American roads is some kind of a van/truck/suv (not a car), about half the vehicles out there have V-8's, yet everyone complains about the oil shortage...

Palmer'sLS
07-05-2006, 12:46 AM
i just keep my price up so that i can afford to put the fuel in my V8....any other time i am "out n about", you can dern well bet i am in a 4cyl toyota lol..

easycareacres
07-05-2006, 12:57 AM
the ute is a 1 ton Falcon au ute comonly used here in aust.
Yes fuel is hell off alot dearer so now way many could operate with 6 litre v8's.
Alot of us also use 4wd's with 4 and 5 litre engines.

HOOLIE
07-05-2006, 01:06 AM
Maybe Garth or Colin can offer some insight on this vehicle, provided they are in a coherent state :laugh: :laugh:

easycareacres
07-05-2006, 01:07 AM
This is 4wd with 3 and half ton towing capacity which I use for towing tandem trailer. x2 zero mowers no prob at all.

garth1967
07-05-2006, 01:49 AM
yes its a ford 1 ton ute as we call them.when us aussies see a guy driving around in a big rig with a chevy motor or the equivalent he definitely not in the gardening biz ,he must be plumber.plumbers earn more than doctors and lawyers.they usually drive around in cheap japanese cars:laugh:

garth1967
07-05-2006, 01:51 AM
Maybe Garth or Colin can offer some insight on this vehicle, provided they are in a coherent state :laugh: :laugh:

thats un called for hoolie what have i ever done to you:drinkup:

its miller time

aussieflag

garth1967
07-05-2006, 01:54 AM
as usual .......topsites...............spot on

Sandgropher
07-05-2006, 02:40 AM

As the boys say this is a Ford ute (may be v6).:dancing:

This is quiet expensive to run compared to most, in my state you would not bother with the trailer in a lot of cases, the mowers go into the back of the ute, again you would not bother with v6 most are Toyota Hilux utes (4 cylinder) or in my case a Toyota hiace van. :)

We use cylinder mowers here, all equipment fits inside van or ute easily. :)

Any body that wants to save money on fuel, changes there ute to LPG gas which is 60c a litre instead of 1.40 a litre and we have chit loads of the stuff and the price rarely goes up, people with V8s change over in a lot of cases to ,to save fuel.payup payup payup

A recent survey shows the average LCO spends around $40 a week on fuel here, with some higher and some lower.

The bloke above could save money by putting his gear in the back of the ute, but it would not be as secure i guess.

At least in Aussie we can do some thing about fuel prices (convert to LPG).:drinkup: :drinkup:

Sandgropher
07-05-2006, 03:20 AM
If any bodys interested in what we use here go to http://lawnmow.com.au

Click on forums (general) and go to the thread "make a week?" page 3.

This guys got a trailor for his ride on but most do not use ride ons.

I am not sure if the site is pass word protected (cant remember )