PDA

View Full Version : Skid Steer receiver/trailer hitch plate?

TXTom
07-04-2006, 09:34 PM
I would like to make a receiver hitch that will mount on one of my pallet forks for moving trailers around the yard. I have seen several different types of hitch mounts for skid steers. What is everyone using? Should I just spend a couple hundred on one that is already made?

Thanks,
Tom

wanabe
07-05-2006, 07:43 PM
Why not just drill a hole in the end of your pallet forks and put a ball on?

all ferris
07-05-2006, 10:45 PM
Why not just drill a hole in the end of your pallet forks and put a ball on?

Torch is much faster:hammerhead:

Scag48
07-06-2006, 02:18 AM
Yep, I cut a hole through our forks with a torch. Took about 2 minutes.

TerraFirma Excavating
07-07-2006, 01:03 PM
If you ever work on a job that has safety inspections, like the Corps of Engineers, modified forks are a no-no. They make you remove them from the jobsite. I'm sure everyone doesn't work where this applies, but just wanted to give you a head-ups.

In theory, heat from a torch can remove some of the temper and/or the hole drilled or cut can remove strength from the end of the fork. I've only seen a couple of forks break where holes where cut, and this was only on 966 loaders.

Personally, I'm thinking of making a trailer hitch attachment which mounts via the Bobtach or build one that mounts to the pallet fork headache rack like the forks do. I did see a dedicated pintle hitch attachment that had a hydraulic closure so the operator didn't even have to get out to move the trailer. Pretty cool if you're moving trailers all day long, over kill if you only move trailers once in a blue moon.

TXTom
07-07-2006, 07:00 PM
Thanks for the replies. I really don't want to make holes in my forks. I decided to try one of these:

Clamp-On Hitch (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280005248262)

It is made for a bucket, but I think it might also work on my forks. I will probably make a small indentation in my bucket and forks so that the set screw will have something to bite on. I will post my results once the hitch appears.

Later,

tylermckee
07-08-2006, 04:21 AM
get a piece of rectangular tubing big enough to slide over your fork, mount the ball on the end of that, and weld a plate on the end, leaving one side open to slide over your fork. then, on the open side, weld a chain with a hook on the end so you can wrap it around the headache rack and hook it back onto itself.

hosejockey2002
07-09-2006, 02:41 AM
If you've got time, skills and equipment enough to make it worth your while, go for it. Myself, I can't weld my way out of a paper bag so I pretty much buy stuff already built.