PDA

View Full Version : Which to buy?

ricksdad
07-04-2006, 08:58 PM
I have narrowed it down to 2:
New 2006 Scag Turf Tiger, 27HP Kohler, 52" Velocity Plus deck, $8200

New Hustler Super Z, 25HP Kawasaki, 52" deck ( not the XR-7), $8300

Both dealers are well established and reputable in terms of service. Any opinions would be appreciated. I am new to the forum, so thanks in advance.

jazak
07-04-2006, 09:04 PM
If you can get the scag with the kawasaki then get it but if not and since the hustlers only $100 buck more I'd get the hustler.

LawnTamer
07-04-2006, 09:10 PM
If you can get the scag with the kawasaki then get it but if not and since the hustlers only $100 buck more I'd get the hustler.
ditto I like Kohler OK but my experience is that the Kawis run smoother

J&R Landscaping
07-04-2006, 09:11 PM
Not that familiar with scag but Hustlers seem to be getting great reviews from people on LS.

milo
07-04-2006, 09:13 PM
SCAG FOR sure. scags are the best. hustlers are ok but try them out and you will see the scag rides smoother and has way more to offer and will last a very long time.. you cannot beat a scag.. i do like hustler to buy first to me is scag than exmark and hustler is like 4th or 5th..

tacoma200
07-04-2006, 09:15 PM

Both dealers are well established and reputable in terms of service. Any opinions would be appreciated. I am new to the forum, so thanks in advance.

Scag Turf tiger by a hair..... More power, new velocity deck, very heavy made mower. Tough call! if the Hustler had the XR7 deck I would have chosen it. You will have adequate power with the Hustler and a decent deck. You will have power to spare with the Scag and the new deck I've heard nothing but good about. I'm sure die hard Kaw fans will beg to differ.

LLandscaping
07-04-2006, 09:26 PM
We have a Turf Tiger 52 with a 27 Kohler and the velocity deck. The mower does great on hills and the velocity deck discharges great even in wet grass. The 27 Kohler has more than enough power even for tall grass. This is our first mower that has a Kohler (everything else is Kawasaki) but we have been happy with it.

Palmer'sLS
07-04-2006, 10:23 PM
absoluty get the hustler...the model you listed (with the 25 kawi) is a SUPER MINI Z....which means it has larger hydros, more power to the deck, and a higher overall groundspeed than the scag has....the SMZ also has the full suspinsion seat, which the scag doesnt (at least not stock)....when i bought my hustler...it was between the mini-z and the tiger cub....but overall, hustler has done more research and design, and it really is just the superior mower in my opinion....btw, i tested both models out for a couple days....thats why i am suggesting to you, to get the SMZ

tacoma200
07-04-2006, 10:37 PM
The suspension seat would be important, what's the big rush. Can't your dealer get a XR7 deck for just a little more? Just my thoughts. Not sure Hustler has done more research on decks, Scag has put alot of thought in the new deck also and I've heard more problems with the XR7 than the velocity deck. My next mower may be a Hustler but not the old deck. A suspension seat would cost a pretty penny from Scag so that may make a big difference. Also I believe and may be wrong that Scag uses no flat front tires and Hustler uses air inflated tires (better ride, less dependable). I personally would not buy a mower that wasn't %100 percent what I wanted, no coprimise to save a few bucks.

Palmer'sLS
07-04-2006, 11:04 PM
the tires on the hustler are regualar-air tires...but they do have the "slime" in them...which i supposed to help a little bit..and yes the suspinsion seat for the tt is around $500 in my area

tacoma200
07-04-2006, 11:12 PM
the tires on the hustler are regualar-air tires...but they do have the "slime" in them...which i supposed to help a little bit..and yes the suspinsion seat for the tt is around $500 in my area
Yea, I haven't decided if the rougher ride is worth it with the semi-pneumatic tires or not. I put slime in my old Z but it would still loose a little air along but it rode much better with low air pressure. In fact ride is the only complaint I have with my Exmark. I'm lusting over the front flex forks on the Hustler.

ricksdad
07-04-2006, 11:39 PM
Thanks for all the input! Sounds like I can't go wrong with either ZTR. The Hustler he quoted me on is indeed a Super Z, not a Super Mini Z. However, he did offer me a Super Mini Z for 25 Kawa/52 for $7799. The Super Z is also a 25/52. Since this particular unit does not have the new XR-7 deck, I wonder if it could be last years model. Do all the newest Super Z's have the XR-7 deck?

Palmer'sLS
07-04-2006, 11:50 PM
Thanks for all the input! Sounds like I can't go wrong with either ZTR. The Hustler he quoted me on is indeed a Super Z, not a Super Mini Z. However, he did offer me a Super Mini Z for 25 Kawa/52 for $7799. The Super Z is also a 25/52. Since this particular unit does not have the new XR-7 deck, I wonder if it could be last years model. Do all the newest Super Z's have the XR-7 deck?

Sorry..it must have been last years model, because super z's smallest deck sixe this year is a 60"....sorry for the confusion....but ic an tell you that the old deck is AWESOME..if i was you...i would ge the SMZ....because its a sweet machine...but then again..EVERY hustler is a sweet machine lol

tacoma200
07-05-2006, 12:00 AM
I'd say its last years model. Take your time, your learning more, so am I. My biggest mistake buying my first couple of mowers was not taking my time and researching a little bit. Could have saved some money by making sure I got it right the first time. Biggest mistake was not getting enough HP. After you sign the papers you have a used ZTR and you just lost about $1000 (if your lucky). Time is on your side.

ricksdad
07-05-2006, 12:28 AM
I'll touch base with the Hustler dealer tomorrow and check the price of a 25 kawa/ 54 XR-7 and the 27 Kohler/ 54 XR-7. I agree, definitley trying to do my homework before taking the plunge. Right now, I'm still split right down the middle between the Scag and Hustler. Both seem to be awesome machines with alot of brand loyalty for each.

Palmer'sLS
07-05-2006, 12:52 AM
well i think that you picked the two "best" brands....imo...so either way, you'll get a great mower...so lets talk about dealer's......or is it the same dealer???

Professional Cut Lawncare
07-05-2006, 09:46 AM
Just purchased a Scag TT with 29 Kaw DFI and 61" velosity deck and let me tell you best mower I've ever used.The velosity deck discharges excellent no matter what the conditions are.The only problem I've heard about the old Hustler deck is a little clumping when mowing in wet grass.All in all I believe you will be happy with either mower.

mowerboy50
07-05-2006, 01:02 PM
i would do a long demo on the ones your looking at. the no air tires are nice if you drive up curbs and stuff. my new mower has those tires and i used to get flats once and a while. hopefully your dealer is cool and will let you keep a demo for a few days.

TriCountyLawn
07-05-2006, 01:29 PM
Its a win win for ya here. I would hold out and get a Hustler with the XR-7. However the "old" deck style still produces a real nice cut. We dont have much clumping problems with our Super Z. Good luck with what ever ya choose.

Flex-Deck
07-05-2006, 03:57 PM

Wow - for only 52" of cut, both seem mighty expensive.

tacoma200
07-05-2006, 04:13 PM
Wow - for only 52" of cut, both seem mighty expensive.

I was quoted about $8000 on a 27 hp 60" with the old deck. Of course that was a Kohler so not sure how much more expensive the Kaw is. Just a few hundred more if I wanted the XR7 deck. He probably hasn't put any pressure on the salesman yet. Time to twist some arms and play hard ball.