PDA

View Full Version : Lesco walk behind problems while mowing

matthew horner
07-05-2006, 02:31 AM
I have a lesco 36 inch hydro with the lesco sulky. Problem is, with the sulky, pretty much any sharp turn, and all forward/reverse changes, lock up the mower and one wheel spins. If I hop off the sulky, the casters rotate and all is well. I don't weigh too much (190), so what is the deal?
Casters are fine, tire pressure a-ok, and mower is strong.

Matthew

REALSLOW
07-05-2006, 07:48 AM
The Lesco stock is an FN joke,plain and simple the mower needs work. They give you good size pumps and wheel motors but small tires that cannot deliver the goods. Because it is a 36 you cannot use the 20x10 tires I use unless you do not mind them sticking out. The sulky is about the best in the business but requires alot of torque to turn so you need better wheels.

You can solve your problems by going to a trailor sulky or bigger wheels. The Lesco mower is the best deal going but it needs modification in order to work great. Once you put big wheels on it it will mow at 8 or 9 miles an hour so you better take a grinder and grind down all sharp areas on mower nuts,, bolts ,excetra because if you hit something going that fast it will screw you up! I do not call those mowers Christine for nothing they are a archaic piece that when modified becomes the best value in midsizes.

Roger
07-05-2006, 09:20 AM
I have a 36" Exmark Viking (hydro) mower. First, I used a single-wheeled Velke for a couple of season, but discarded it because of the line down the middle. However, the machine handled the sulky well. Then I bought a ProSlide, but quickly learned the mower wasn't large enough (not wide enough footprint, not heavy enough) to use a ProSlide. I then bought a BullRider, but quickly learned it would not work in caster mode (fixed to the mower frame, two wheels free-turning on caster spindles). I think this is how your Lesco unit works. Again, just like with the ProSlide, the mower is not heavy enough, not wide enough, to make the combination of mower/BullRider in caster mode work properly. The BullRider offers either caster mode and trailer mode. I switched the BullRider to trailer mode and have been using that setup for several years. To be sure, it is not quite as useful as it might be in caster mode, but it certainly works well.

For many properties that have obstacles and are less than 1 acre, the 36" mower, with BullRider in trailer mode, will be just as productive as my 48" ZTR. The w/b with sulky is far more nimble, flexible and therefore is just as productive.

Don't discard your mower. Try a trailer mode sulky.

dcondon
07-05-2006, 10:49 PM
Make sure everything has plenty of grease in it. Sounds like something is binding :confused: JMO

matthew horner
07-06-2006, 01:57 PM
I think I'll just sell the sulky and walk:walking:

2menandamower
07-06-2006, 03:41 PM
I have a 2 wheel sulky and I hardly ever use it. Most of the time I use the Z or I walk on small properties. I have found that when I use the sulky if there are any bump in the lawn the front end bounces all over the place and it is more work to hang on the the handles. I am thinking that some weights on the front might help with this but right now I don't really need to find out.

topsites
07-06-2006, 04:13 PM
I think I'll just sell the sulky and walk:walking:

I agree, I think we're nitpicking at this point when we're throwing away 1-wheel velkes due to the 3rd stripe and such... As for me, I find the 3rd stripe gives a criss-cross striped lawn a neat 'windowed' effect. To me, the tri-stripe lawn is unique in that it's not like everyone else's, only lawnsite members (and likely Lco's in general) will argue about the 3rd stripe looking ugly, I've never had a customer point this out to me.

So the problem here is a mindset, we want perfection when in the end, we're still only cutting grass.

Roger
07-06-2006, 10:56 PM
For me, the 3rd stripe is not nitpicking at all. I would have have walked for miles and miles on good turfs so that the 3rd stripe would not exist. Third stripes were OK for scrappy yards, but not for good ones.

And, yes, customers do notice. No, not all of them, but the discriminating ones do notice and they are the ones I wish to satisfy with my work.

When I went with the two-wheeled sulky and the sulky wheels tracked behind the drive wheels, the difference in appearance was significant. I know of only one LCO in any of my neighborhoods that still use a one-wheeled Velke. The resulting appearance is noteworthy because it is terrible.

As for making a snap decision to walk, you must not have very large properties. My purchase, and use of the two-wheeled sulky, paid for itself every week because of the added mowing jobs I was able to complete. The added productive was not merely a mindset, it was a physical reality.

If you have small properties where you really don't need a sulky, great. Set it aside and reap the benefits of having small properties to mow.

matthew horner
07-06-2006, 11:25 PM
Not a snap decision. The lesco is for my small, gated yards. I have a 60" super z for all others. Plus using the 2 wheeled sulky tears the freakin turf up when I do any maneuvering.