PDA

View Full Version : Fresh from the 4th, reasons to get out of mowing.

BSDeality
07-05-2006, 10:08 AM
Yesterday at my neighbors 4th party I was chatting with some of the other people there and 2 of the 3 I spent some good time chatting with backed up my desire to get out of mowing.

#1. Guy hired a low bidder a couple years ago, he was starting out, charged $24/cut for just over an acre, lots of trimming. He is now up to 2 employee's plus himself on the job. 2 walkers and a trimmer/blower guy. He charges $32/cut and it takes him over 30 minutes! Might as well work for McD's at that rate.

#2. Sister of the guy got together with 2 neighbors and hired a LCO to mow all 3 for a reduced rate since they guy could stay in one spot longer. each property is 1.25 acres, he charges $140/wk for all of them. Not the worst, but certainly a low bid IMO.

Liquidfast
07-05-2006, 10:19 AM
As you clearly state in your siggy..."Think outside the box"....That very same LCO charging $140 for 3.75 acres will keep him/herself pretty busy. That same LCO will not be out with the real paying customers who want quality work cuz he, and his employees, are out workin hard for the cheapos.

I don't know why people are so against the cheap guy. It's been said a gazillion times but here goes again....That guy, whoever he or she may be, and YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE, are making my job easier. I only want the better paying customers and the lowballer makes that possible for me.

There are thousands of people out there who NEED us, not the other way around. Think about it......if people took a moment to change just a simple sentence or two in their advertising, they can start to change the way people choose a LCO or make it harder, much, much harder for the lowballer.

Just my 5 bucks.

BSDeality
07-05-2006, 10:35 AM
that selection of people who want quality over cheapness is a very small crowd around here. they want it looking great for peanuts.

QualityLawnCare4u
07-06-2006, 01:02 AM
that selection of people who want quality over cheapness is a very small crowd around here. they want it looking great for peanuts.

Thats exactly the way it is here to BSDeality, 95% could care less about what you own,drive, insurance or what kind of work you do as long as its cheap.

BSDeality
07-06-2006, 01:23 AM
Sadly true, except people here do want a nice looking lawn. I've found through my own private research that when I show up in my 05 F350 PSD that I was closing a lot less deals. When I show up in my POS 94' Toyota pickup I walk away with much higher results and often much higher margins. I was only asked about insurance twice in 3 years, one was a lady I gave an estimate to for a walkway concerned about underground lines. The other was for a church consularium I maintain.

punk_rockin2001
07-06-2006, 01:24 AM
In my neck of the woods in Po Dunk Illinois, no one cares about quality either. I envy you people who are annoyed with the low-ballers in the the area. Around here it seems the only way to win is to low-ball the low baller. I've stayed strong, but its tough. Very few people care about the looks around here and the people that do, mow it themselves. I don't know if anyone else has this problem but I think my area is just saturated with too many lawn care people anyway. In a town of 20,000 we have around 40 lawn care companys. I think 3 of which are legit. Maybe I just need a new job!;)

Sandgropher
07-06-2006, 01:36 AM
In my neck of the woods in Po Dunk Illinois, no one cares about quality either. I envy you people who are annoyed with the low-ballers in the the area. Around here it seems the only way to win is to low-ball the low baller. I've stayed strong, but its tough. Very few people care about the looks around here and the people that do, mow it themselves. I don't know if anyone else has this problem but I think my area is just saturated with too many lawn care people anyway. In a town of 20,000 we have around 40 lawn care companys. I think 3 of which are legit. Maybe I just need a new job!;)

Yes its the luck of the draw on where you live, all the advice in the world may not help some people, if you are in a poor area you need to be a turf manager not just a mowing guy and learn other things as well landscaping etc.

But in the end a lot of guys on LS would be better off in another job i am afraid, all the advice in the world may not help you, or maybe relocate to a better area one guy the other day says he gets 50 calls a day,i think he was in Ohio or some place that way.

I hope nobody calls the IRS in your area or you may find theres only 4 legits left and you will be flat out.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

LawnGuy73
07-06-2006, 06:41 AM
I could come up with a hundred reasons to get out of this business, and most of them are customer related issues. :rolleyes: