07-05-2006, 10:21 AM
have a 2 year old 220 grasshopper with kholer 20 hp engine, cut lawn with
no problem, shut engine off , now will not restart. solenoid will not even
activate. a very quiet buzzing sound comes from a small black box located
on the left side of the frame, which i assume is a relay of some kind. all
safety procedures are in place. any help is appreciated, thank you

Jim@MilkyWay
07-05-2006, 01:08 PM
Start doing some voltage checks if you know, _absolutely_ for certain, that you don't have a operator presence switch somewhere keeping starter from doing it's thing.

PLM-1
07-05-2006, 01:23 PM
It is probably a safety switch somewhere. Is the PTO off? Levers all the way out? Shake them back and forth a few times. Seat switch? Do you have voltage on the gauge?

Jim@MilkyWay
07-05-2006, 01:40 PM
Start doing some voltage checks if you know, _absolutely_ for certain, that you don't have a operator presence switch somewhere keeping starter from doing it's thing.
Whoops, forgot something.
I am not telling you that you have a dead battery, just that it only takes a second to eliminate it as a possibility.
When I start to diagnose a no start/no starter action problem, I always check battery voltage _under load_ first. A lot of folks don't understand this, but a 12V battery, that does not have enough 'juice' in it to light a 6Vdc flashlight bulb will show a 12V 'surface charge'. However, as soon as the battery is asked to supply current, for starter or anything else, the voltage across battery can/will drop to less than 9V or so, if it has a problem. It does not matter if the battery is bad or dead or the charge sys. is inop. Further, it could cause unusual noises anywhere in relays, coils etc. because, if voltage is low, it is not normal operating range for them.

grasshopper501
07-05-2006, 01:46 PM
It is probably a safety switch somewhere. Is the PTO off? Levers all the way out? Shake them back and forth a few times. Seat switch? Do you have voltage on the gauge?

THANKS FOR THE COME BACK, THE PTO IS OFF , THE LEVERS ARE ALL
THE WAY OUT. AND I KNOW IT'S NOT THAT BECAUSE WHEN I MOVE THEM
IN ,THE BUZZING TO THE RELAY DOESN'T COME ON. NOT THE SEAT SWITCH.
DO HAVE VOLTAGE THROUGH THE RELAY.

grasshopper501
07-05-2006, 01:51 PM
Whoops, forgot something.
I am not telling you that you have a dead battery, just that it only takes a second to eliminate it as a possibility.
When I start to diagnose a no start/no starter action problem, I always check battery voltage _under load_ first. A lot of folks don't understand this, but a 12V battery, that does not have enough 'juice' in it to light a 6Vdc flashlight bulb will show a 12V 'surface charge'. However, as soon as the battery is asked to supply current, for starter or anything else, the voltage across battery can/will drop to less than 9V or so, if it has a problem. It does not matter if the battery is bad or dead or the charge sys. is inop. Further, it could cause unusual noises anywhere in relays, coils etc. because, if voltage is low, it is not normal operating range for them.

THE VOLTAGE GAUGE SHOWS 12V WORKING BUT TO BE SURE I PUT A
BOOSTER BATTERY ON AND STILL NO CHANGE.

grasshopper501
07-05-2006, 03:10 PM
Thank You Mr Jim@milkyway, You Got Me Thinking So I Took The
Battery To Be Checked And You Were Right!!!!!! It Checked 12v But
When The Load Tester Was Put On ,there Was No Load. Bought A
New Battery And The Grasshopper Started Right Up. So Happy I
Found Lawnsite.com . This Is My First Time On And You Helped Me
Right Away. Thanks Again Grasshopper501

Jim@MilkyWay
07-05-2006, 03:26 PM
Thank You Mr Jim@milkyway, You Got Me Thinking So I Took The
Battery To Be Checked And You Were Right!!!!!! ....
I think I'll print this out and show it to my wife!!! As far as she is concerned, I've _never_ been right about _ANYTHING_.

lawnmaniac883
07-05-2006, 06:54 PM
I think I'll print this out and show it to my wife!!! As far as she is concerned, I've _never_ been right about _ANYTHING_.
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Jim@MilkyWay
07-06-2006, 12:40 AM
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Yea Brother; Right on!!