PDA

View Full Version : I want to buy this mower, what is it?

DynaMow
07-05-2006, 10:03 AM
Hey saw these mowers today, Is that Toro a residential unit or commercial? In good shape can get Toro for $1000, Walker for $1500.

DynaMow
07-05-2006, 10:05 AM
second pic

DynaMow
07-05-2006, 10:06 AM
time cutter seems like residential

DynaMow
07-05-2006, 10:07 AM
the Walker

what di u think? Would you buy them?

Pumper
07-05-2006, 10:08 AM
I can't speak for the Walker but the Toro is definitely a home owner model. The Time Cutter is the Toro version of the Cub Cadet RZT. You can find these at the Big Box Stores. You can also find it badged as a New Holland. I know the New Holland goes new for $2499. I hope this helps.

nmez21
07-05-2006, 10:10 AM
Go with the walker!!! The timecutter is a residential ztr by almost all standards and doesn't look like she'll go much longer. My uncle bought one 2 years ago to mow about 10 acres a week and right now it's on it's last leg- after decent care. HAven't personally owned either, but from what i've heard--- go walker.

mulcahy mowing
07-05-2006, 10:12 AM
snatch up that walker the time cutter is a pos.

MOturkey
07-05-2006, 10:16 AM
They both look pretty well used, if not abused. I, personally, would not pay $1,000 for any homeowner model in that kind of shape. New ones just aren't that expensive.

The Walker might have some life left in it, but I would imagine repairs could get mighty expensive. How many hours does the machine have on it?

olderthandirt
07-05-2006, 10:43 AM
I'd pass on both of them, there well pass there prime. In fact they look like there pass the point of selling. Good parts mower, at least the Walker

DAVEY PROS
07-05-2006, 11:01 AM
If you don't want the Walker, I'll drive up to Ohio and buy it myself. That is a F*cking awesome deal! Walkers run forever. Some new parts and some spraypaint and you're fine for a long time:)

Mowingman
07-05-2006, 11:07 AM
Even if the engine and trans. are bad, that Walker is a bargain. That mower cost close to $10,000 when new.

prostriper
07-19-2006, 10:52 PM
They both look like Sh!t. I wouldn't pay more than 1000 for the toro or 2000 for the walker. Walkers do put down a nice cut but there slow, I think something like 7 mph. Plus that one looks at least 10 years old, going to need alot of parts.

I'd look into a used exmark or scag. My exmark is 8 years old and is in the same shape as it was off the showroom floor, minus the drive belt and a couple of dings and scrapes. I have used Scags in the past and they are the Timexes of mowers. They are extremely durable and I have seen people put down real nice cuts with the newer ZTR's.

dvmcmrhp52
07-19-2006, 11:11 PM
I'd pass on both of them, there well pass there prime. In fact they look like there pass the point of selling. Good parts mower, at least the Walker

This is about all I can say as well after looking.

Ric3077
07-19-2006, 11:32 PM
I'd see if he would do both for $2000...then turn around and sell the toro for a grand and use the walker till it dies...even if you put $500 in parts in it....your looking at $1500 not too bad...remember when you buy used your buying someone elses problems.

dwlah
07-20-2006, 03:31 PM
If I had to buy one of them Id pick the walker Im starting to look for a bagger mower for this fall
Plus I just bought a new exmark this year so I dont need another mower just yet

KERRTURF
07-20-2006, 07:13 PM
Keep us posted on what you decide to do. If you aren't interested in the walker, I may be. I'm probably close enough to go take a look at it also.

CletusT
07-21-2006, 09:32 AM
The Toro looks to be an older version of what is now the Timecutter ZX series. I would guess from the sticker that it would be a Timecutter Z440??

As far as current Toro offerings goes:

The plain Timecutter series is available at Home Depot and is pretty crappy looking in quality. It has U-channel frame and just looks cheap. The ZX series is a major step up. It looks almost exactly like the one in your pictures but has a seat with arm rests, and I believe it has some more commercial features than the earlier version that you are looking at. The one you are looking at looks like it has a 44" deck, where the ZX series has a 48" deck. The ZX series compares pretty equal to the Hustler Mini-Fastrak.

Summary:

The Toro mower you are looking at is at least a couple of years old and looks like it has been to hell and back. In its prime it would have been a dang good homeowner mower, but I doubt it would hold up to much in the way of commercial. (The newer ZX series that has been updated with better parts has a 2-year homeowner warranty, or a 30 day commercial warranty.) There is no way I would pay $1000 for it. It looks like a commercial company bought it, ragged it out, and is now ready to dump it off on someone.

For what it's worth, I'm just a homeowner who became interested in this site while using it to find a good quality mower to cut my 1.25 acres of grass. After much debate between Toro and Hustler I ended up with the Timecutter ZX480 and am very pleased. The frame is very solid. It cuts nice and even, has plenty of power, and even handles the small hill on my lot well.

Side Note: This site has been very helpful for me, but I have to admit I have almost become addicted to reading about some of the crap that you people have to deal with on a daily basis. :dizzy:

Surf'n'Turf
07-21-2006, 10:45 AM
I'd pass on both. there is a reason they're priced the way they are....

Side Note: This site has been very helpful for me, but I have to admit I have almost become addicted to reading about some of the crap that you people have to deal with on a daily basis. :dizzy:

Kind of hard not to stop and look at a train wreck :dizzy:

J&R Landscaping
07-21-2006, 11:02 AM
Looks like if you get either of those machines, it'll just come back to burn you. The toro is a homeowner model and that one looks pretty well used/abused. I wouldn't pay more then 800 for it but then again, I wouldn't buy it for commercial use as it just won't hold up! I don't know that much about walker mowers so I can't comment on that one!

Personally though, I would pass one theese two and just wait for a better deal to come. Even a used Commercial ZTR might cost more but it will be worth putting some money into! JMO