PDA

View Full Version : Cylinder hone

lwcmattlifter
07-05-2006, 01:34 PM
What do you prefer for a small engine cylinder hone? Ball brush or 3 stone style? I have always had great results with the ball brush but I can't find one small enough for a chainsaw. Anyone know who sells small ball brush hones? Should I just go with a 2 or 3 stone brake cylinder hone?

Matt

lawnmaniac883
07-05-2006, 06:58 PM
To be honest it usually isnt worth honing a two stroke cylinder out, just buy a new jug and be done with it if you have a name brand saw i.e. stihl, echo, husky.

If you do hone it out, make sure to replace the ring(s) at the same time.

MowerMedic77
07-05-2006, 10:21 PM
Honing a small 2cycle cylinder will only create blow-by, much like running a handheld with no a/f and sandblasting the side of the piston. You will loose the piston to cylinder wall clearance that the manufacture created. I see this in my shop alot, guys will toss the dirty a/f and run the unit for a while before they remember:hammerhead: to purchase a new one. Then when they try to run it with the new filter they don't develop full rpms. Just went from a cheap a/f to an $$$$$$$$$repair or in some cases(dumpster:cry: )

Restrorob
07-05-2006, 10:55 PM
Matt, A ball hone will not work on a 2 cycle engine. The balls will get caught in the intake and exhaust ports and tear it up. I'm with MM on honing a saw or trimmer.

lwcmattlifter
07-06-2006, 02:57 PM
I wanted to freshen up this saw before I use it to clear some land this fall. The saw is old and a little down on power. The cylinder looks good, no grooves or scratches on the cylinder. I wanted to give it a new piston and rings and hone the cylinder to put the cross hatching back on it. A new cylinder is over $300. Humm.... I really hate to put that kind of money into a saw that I only use a few times a year.

mith
07-06-2006, 03:01 PM
I honed out some scores in a Stihl chainsaw engine with a 3 arm honer. Saw works OK.
What have you got to lose?

lawnmaniac883
07-06-2006, 03:58 PM
What have you got to lose?

A 300 dollar cylinder?

I would just throw in the new piston and rings and see how she runs. No cense in honing a cylinder if it looks o.k. What kind of saw is it?

lwcmattlifter
07-06-2006, 07:05 PM
Stihl 066 Mag. Yes, a Stihl cylinder is $300.00. I'm going to give it a try. Worst case scenario I have to buy a cylinder and another set of rings.

Matt

lawnmaniac883
07-06-2006, 07:59 PM
Oh well **** that is a 1400 dollar saw you got there. Just go through and rebuild everything while you have it taken down. If it were me I would get one of the big bore kits baileys offers. Here, you can do the whole thing for a little over 100 bux http://store.baileys-online.com/cgi-bin/baileys/5638?mv_session_id=R7jEkB6a&product_sku=CK%20066

lwcmattlifter
07-06-2006, 08:26 PM
I saw those kits and I thought about it since this is one of those occasional use saws. The only problem I have with that kit is the country it's manufactured in and their quality control standards.

scottr 2006
07-06-2006, 08:35 PM
If my memory serves me well the ceramic ball hone won this same debate on ArboristSite about a year ago . The point was that a limited time of slow honing the cylinder was to deglaze the cylinder to aid the new rings to seat . Scott

lawnmaniac883
07-06-2006, 09:37 PM
I saw those kits and I thought about it since this is one of those occasional use saws. The only problem I have with that kit is the country it's manufactured in and their quality control standards.

Big deal. Just buy it and be happy with it or spend 350 dollars on a replacement from Stihl. Quality control...not much that can be done wrong with a piece of cast aluminum...

scottr 2006
07-06-2006, 10:16 PM
http://www.ruffstuff.com Scott

Restrorob
07-06-2006, 11:04 PM
http://www.ruffstuff.com Scott

Hey Scott, Have you ever used one of these flex ball hones in a 2 cycle bore ?

Here are a few post from a motorcycle site.

[quote] I knew a guy that used a ball hone on his Yamaha because it was a cheaper way to get it honed. It screwed up the cylinder so bad it took a cone shape and he had to trash it he never did that again.

[Quote] A ball hone is the quickest way to ruin a 2-cycle cylinder.

[Quote] The only place I ever use a ball hone is in briggs cyls, and other straight holes with NO ports, and basicly for de-glazing, 'cause all they are is a expensive, glorified glaze breaker. NEVER use in any 2-stroke cyl., the balls will get into every port hole and bell-mouth to where it will render it useless. A 2-stroke should be de-glazed, (if thats what you want to do), with a hone, and the truing fixture is an essential part of doin' the job right.

scottr 2006
07-06-2006, 11:27 PM
Hey Scott, Have you ever used one of these flex ball hones in a 2 cycle bore ?

Here are a few post from a motorcycle site.

[quote] I knew a guy that used a ball hone on his Yamaha because it was a cheaper way to get it honed. It screwed up the cylinder so bad it took a cone shape and he had to trash it he never did that again.

[Quote] A ball hone is the quickest way to ruin a 2-cycle cylinder.

[Quote] The only place I ever use a ball hone is in briggs cyls, and other straight holes with NO ports, and basicly for de-glazing, 'cause all they are is a expensive, glorified glaze breaker. NEVER use in any 2-stroke cyl., the balls will get into every port hole and bell-mouth to where it will render it useless. A 2-stroke should be de-glazed, (if thats what you want to do), with a hone, and the truing fixture is an essential part of doin' the job right.
Not yet Rob . We're talking about deglazing a Nikasil coated chainsaw cylinder . Here is a thread that you might be interested in reading . http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=31447

Restrorob
07-07-2006, 07:18 PM
Not yet Rob . We're talking about deglazing a Nikasil coated chainsaw cylinder .

That was some good reading Scott, But if you look back at my post the point I was trying to make is one needs the PROPER hone to de-glaze a cylinder. A flex ball hone is NOT the proper tool for a ported 2 cycle cylinder.

Below is the PROPER type hone for de-glazing ported cylinders.

. Ideal for high-performance engine building
. Abrasive impregnated nylon bristles
. Does not enlarge bores but, removes
microscopic peaks and scuffs left after
honing
. Gives a superior plateau finish
. Safe for use in 2-Cycle engines
. Designed for platted, cast iron bores
. Full range of bore sizes available

Prices & terms subject to change without notice
New Product
Nylon Flexhone Brush
45-57mm Nylon Flexhone Brush W6075 $42.01
57-70mm Nylon Flexhone Brush W6076 $43.44
63-76mm Nylon Flexhone Brush W6077 $54.51
76-89mm Nylon Flexhone Brush W6078 $56.79
89-102mm Nylon Flexhone Brush W6079 $56.79

These Brush hones can be purchased here; http://www.wiseco.com/ProductSearch.aspx

scottr 2006
07-08-2006, 12:43 AM
Rob , I had not heard of the Nylon Flexhone Brush . When using one to do a light deglazing of a nikasil cylinger like the stihl 066 (54mm) that has no scratches how well do the impregnated nylon bristles hold up ? Another thread that you might find interesting is 'prepping for new rings' http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=6720 Scott