PDA

View Full Version : UK guys

mith
07-05-2006, 02:25 PM
Well 1st, any UK guys still here?
2nd, any of those UK guys use Westwoods to mow? (For those of you not come across a westwood --> Westwood (http://www.westwoodtractors.com/))
I'm wondering how they hold up to a beating. I know the council use one, and it gets a hard life. It still works fine. Anyone using them, how well do they work for you?
Thanks

tacoma200
07-05-2006, 04:56 PM
I've always been interested in lawncare in the UK. It's hard to believe they use a small tractor like mower in comercial mowing. Do you use any large ZTR's over there? Gasoline in very high there I hear so that would make a big difference. I know there are some big lawns but probably mostly small lawns near the city. If you have any website that would be informative about lawncare in the UK I would be interested. Thanks

mith
07-05-2006, 05:16 PM
Tacoma,
they use ZTRs occasionally round here, they use one to mow the banks in town. Big areas such as football fields are cut with big cylinder gang mowers.
Most LCOs use 21's I think.

Its pretty common to collect the clippings round here. I only collect them, so mulching and discharge are out. (fills the lawn with moss, and gets peoples feet grassy). Thats why I am interested in the Westwood, it has a brush sweeper, so even when its raining it will collect without clogging, and it also leaves the best stripes.

I have no idea whether others use tractors, but I think they do. I have only seen people with push mowers round here, apart from the people who cut bigger areas (with gang mowers, or Kubota tractors with mowers).

I dont know what people do near cities, never go there. Round here most lawns about 1 acre, and most people do it themselves.

tacoma200
07-05-2006, 05:27 PM
That's very interesting. Thanks for taking time to reply!

6'7 330
07-05-2006, 06:25 PM
Hi mith,welcome to the forum.

All four of my grandparents came to the USA from Scotland, my sister lives in Edinburgh.What is the nearest large city in close proximity to you?

mith
07-05-2006, 06:38 PM
Hi, Bill,
I've actually been on the forum over a year now, just havent posted much.
Guess the nearest large city is London but I dont know for sure.
I could tell Scottish jokes all day, but seeming as you are over 12" taller than I, we'll leave it at that :D

On another note, why was this moved? Its a question about lawn care equip. Can it be moved back?

6'7 330
07-05-2006, 06:52 PM
Hi, Bill,
I've actually been on the forum over a year now, just havent posted much.
Guess the nearest large city is London but I dont know for sure.
I could tell Scottish jokes all day, but seeming as you are over 12" taller than I, we'll leave it at that :D

On another note, why was this moved? Its a question about lawn care equip. Can it be moved back?
Mate,
You will have to ask the moderators why and if they will move it back. I for one am very interested in learning about the LCO'S and landscaper's in the UK.

tacoma200
07-05-2006, 11:35 PM
I would repost with a different heading about the mower and then mabe say something about others in my area. Your heading is probably got you sent to the "Network with people from your area" forum. There's at least two of us would like to hear from you.

Sandgropher
07-05-2006, 11:58 PM
Glad to hear from you, i was going to ask today if there was any body from the U.K as i am interested to on how things are done there to, the lawnmowing industry in my city was started by former U.K folk and for that reason we all use cylinder mowers here 99% any way, i was sure you all use cylinder mower there , looks like i am wrong.

I think the mods have put this in the right forum, you would not get a reply to your question else where, the u.s guys would have little idea on this mower i think.?:drinkup:

mith
07-06-2006, 05:29 AM
Sandgropher,
as I'm sure you know, cylinder mowers can only cut short, fine turf. Alot of lawns around here are not good enough for cylinders. That said, all the triple mowers that they use for parkland and such are cylinders. All the cricket clubs use cylinder mowers. There are lots of cylinder mowers about, but I'm not sure how many LCOs use them. The lawns I mow are nowhere near the quality for cylinder mowers.

We are in a drought down south here right now, not allowed to water lawns. Also on heavy clay soil, so I've been spending alot of time mowing dust. Fuels are about $8-10 gallon I think.

As to the forum, the question was about a mower (which goes in the commercial mowing forum right?), it just happens to apply to UK guys (like some other mower questions are aimed at say Michigan guys for example). Also, I know I have never read this forum before

I know there are more UK guys here, hopefully they will drop by and give better answers to your questions

Sandgropher
07-06-2006, 08:19 AM
Yes no worrys mate, on ovals and sporting grounds a lot of guys use tractors here with cylinder blades behind, you are in a drought ? i thought that would be unusual for there, come to think of it you are in a heat wave according to the news on t.v.

About the forum, i do not know about others but i keep clicking the button (new posts) all the time and i see U.K guys come up on my screen, if i was from the U.K i would be drawn like a moth to a flame, i was thinking a question about West wood mowers may get lost in the hurly burly of LS mower questions, but you are correct it should be under mower questions, lets hope you can get an answer as its fairly rare to see U.K guys around, maybe other people have used these mowers ? good luck

mith
07-06-2006, 01:22 PM
Yep, we got cylinders on back of tractors too. I have always wanted to have a play with one of the big 7-9 gang units.
Drought, heatwave. Yep, down here in the south its hot, and dry. 34degreesC. Its a little cooler now, but still hot. Talking to some other Aussies I know, he tells me to stop complaining, that thats mild for you guys ;)

I had not been using the new posts button, but I am now, cheers