PDA

View Full Version : can you convert an electric start to a recoil?

lawnwizards
07-05-2006, 05:46 PM
got a 32" encore with a 12hp electric start briggs. well, i go to start it today and nothing. check the battery and its fully charged so i'm assuming a loose wire or bad starter. to tell you the truth i'm sick of it and i'd like to convert it to a recoil start. my question, can this be done or do i need to just chuck the motor and buy a recoil? thanks for replies.

Grounds Keeper
07-05-2006, 06:07 PM
Don't know for sure...Best thing to do is call the Dealer or a mower shop, they should be able to tell you

Jim@MilkyWay
07-05-2006, 06:26 PM
....to tell you the truth i'm sick of it and i'd like to convert it to a recoil start... .
If you insist, but it should not be a great big hairy deal to diagnose your start circuit. There is a lot of knowledge and assistance available at this forum.:usflag: :drinkup:
No one is going to try and talk you out of pulling a rope, (or pushing a chain up a hill for that matter), but help is here for the asking.

FIXDISS
07-05-2006, 06:49 PM
got a 32" encore with a 12hp electric start briggs. well, i go to start it today and nothing. check the battery and its fully charged so i'm assuming a loose wire or bad starter. to tell you the truth i'm sick of it and i'd like to convert it to a recoil start. my question, can this be done or do i need to just chuck the motor and buy a recoil? thanks for replies.
There are a few simple tests you can do. First you can hook red clamp from jumper cable to positive post on battery and touch the other red clamp to the wire lug on the side of starter. If starter engages you know it's good. Next, if you have a test meter then check for voltage on battery side of solenoid . You should have 12 plus volts.Now see if you have 1 or 2 small wires on the solenoid. One wire comes from key switch. Put red test lead on it and the black lead on known ground. Turn key to start and see if you get 12 plus volts. If so you have a bad solenoid .If not you could have a bad switch or a bad safety relay in system and would need to look at wiring diagram.

lawnwizards
07-05-2006, 06:57 PM
There are a few simple tests you can do. First you can hook red clamp from jumper cable to positive post on battery and touch the other red clamp to the wire lug on the side of starter. If starter engages you know it's good. Next, if you have a test meter then check for voltage on battery side of solenoid . You should have 12 plus volts.Now see if you have 1 or 2 small wires on the solenoid. One wire comes from key switch. Put red test lead on it and the black lead on known ground. Turn key to start and see if you get 12 plus volts. If so you have a bad solenoid .If not you could have a bad switch or a bad safety relay in system and would need to look at wiring diagram.
thats the info i was needing. i'm still a repair "rookie" when it comes to these machines. i love to fix them but i'm still green thanks for the info.

FIXDISS
07-05-2006, 06:58 PM
Also if you click on the Encore icon above you can get wiring diagram from Encore website just by following prompts and enterring model #'s.

FIXDISS
07-05-2006, 07:00 PM
thats the info i was needing. i'm still a repair "rookie" when it comes to these machines. i love to fix them but i'm still green thanks for the info.
Yeah I got it bad too. Really just like the challenge you know.

rodfather
07-05-2006, 07:37 PM

I'll tell ya what is expensive Randy...going from a recoil to an electric start...been there/done that.:cry:

lawnwizards
07-05-2006, 08:32 PM
sorry to sound like a d.a. but i can't find the solenoid anywhere.. could it be inside the engine? what does it look like? maybe i'm just missing it but i was thinking it looked kinda roundish like a horn. am i wrong?

FIXDISS
07-05-2006, 08:42 PM
sorry to sound like a d.a. but i can't find the solenoid anywhere.. could it be inside the engine? what does it look like? maybe i'm just missing it but i was thinking it looked kinda roundish like a horn. am i wrong?
Find the starter .Then follow the wire from starter back to solenoid. Did you try that Encore site I mentionned ?

Restrorob
07-05-2006, 08:45 PM

The positive battery cable (RED) goes from the battery to the solenoid, Trace the wire and you will find it.
If you post the model and type numbers off the engine I can see if it will accept a recoil starter assembly.

lawnwizards
07-05-2006, 08:54 PM
The positive battery cable (RED) goes from the battery to the solenoid, Trace the wire and you will find it.
If you post the model and type numbers off the engine I can see if it will accept a recoil starter assembly.
FIXDISS, i did print out the schematics from the website. not very clear. Restrorob, the model is 283707 type 0517-a1 code 970325zb

Restrorob
07-05-2006, 10:46 PM
This engine can be converted to rope start but the complexity depends on the two questions in the pic. then I can go further.

lawnwizards
07-06-2006, 09:56 AM
This engine can be converted to rope start but the complexity depends on the two questions in the pic. then I can go further.it looks like the one on the left and it does have the holes in the housing.

Jim@MilkyWay
07-06-2006, 07:11 PM
Well??
What's up, dude?

lawnwizards
07-06-2006, 07:14 PM
Well??
What's up, dude?not sure what youre wanting.

Jim@MilkyWay
07-06-2006, 07:23 PM
Hey there you
I just wondered if you decided to try and get your electric starter going or if you elected to change over to pull start. :)

lawnwizards
07-06-2006, 07:27 PM
Hey there you
I just wondered if you decided to try and get your electric starter going or if you elected to change over to pull start. :)i'd rather get it fixed, but i'm not a mechanic by any means. i'm a rookie when it comes to this stuff. i got the schematic from the encore site and its still confusing. let me copy it and i'll post it here.

Jim@MilkyWay
07-06-2006, 07:33 PM
Bring 'er on down to GA.
I'll help you with it; No charge.:rolleyes:

lawnwizards
07-06-2006, 07:42 PM
this is just not my week. i can't even get the stupid schematic copied. then again, maybe i did... its on page 8 or 9 i believe.

Jim@MilkyWay
07-06-2006, 08:06 PM
First things first.
Remove your starter, take it to a small engine, or electric motor/generator repair shop and see if they can test it, to see if it produces adequate power. It has to be able to spin your engine fast enough to start it. If you call ahead to a few places and tell them what you are doing, then they can tell you where to go. :eek:
Well, that was a bad choice of words, now wasn't it?
They can tell you where to take starter motor to have it tested.

One word. I have replaced starters with, off the shelf, "brand new" _and_ re-manufactured, that were bad, out of the box.
'Cause if the starter is toast then it ain't gonna fix it'self.
If you own a volt meter and are not afraid to tread where few venture, then let me know and I will give you some direction, starting with a logical explanation of what we hope to determine with each check. "Be patient Luke"(Obi-Wan Kenobi)

lawnwizards
07-06-2006, 08:18 PM
yeah, i have a volt meter. but i also have a silly question. what does the starter look like? is it that can looking thing next to the motor?

FIXDISS
07-06-2006, 08:32 PM
Ok. Now I know he is jerking us around.

Restrorob
07-06-2006, 09:04 PM
OK, Heres the parts needed to convert to recoil start.

One of these; http://www.briggspowershop.com/BriggsAndStratton/ProductDetails.aspx?sendingPageType=SearchResults&Catalog=BriggsAndStratton&ProductId=695058

Four of these; http://www.briggspowershop.com/BriggsAndStratton/ProductDetails.aspx?sendingPageType=SearchResults&Catalog=BriggsAndStratton&ProductId=690837

Four of these; http://www.briggspowershop.com/BriggsAndStratton/ProductDetails.aspx?sendingPageType=SearchResults&Catalog=BriggsAndStratton&ProductId=690800

One of these; http://www.briggspowershop.com/BriggsAndStratton/ProductDetails.aspx?sendingPageType=SearchResults&Catalog=BriggsAndStratton&ProductId=691191

And one of these; http://www.briggspowershop.com/BriggsAndStratton/ProductDetails.aspx?sendingPageType=SearchResults&Catalog=BriggsAndStratton&ProductId=695113

what does the starter look like? is it that can looking thing next to the motor?

Sorry wizard, But I'm gonna leave the rest up to our electrical guru Jim :waving:

I'm out a here.............. http://www.gtr-game.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/eekout.gif

Jim@MilkyWay
07-06-2006, 09:10 PM
yeah, i have a volt meter. but i also have a silly question. what does the starter look like? is it that can looking thing next to the motor?
Research it a little based on Restrorob's post then get back to me _only_ if you are serious in proceeding. As I said, it requires a little time and patience.

lawnwizards
07-12-2006, 03:58 PM
There are a few simple tests you can do. First you can hook red clamp from jumper cable to positive post on battery and touch the other red clamp to the wire lug on the side of starter. If starter engages you know it's good. Next, if you have a test meter then check for voltage on battery side of solenoid . You should have 12 plus volts.Now see if you have 1 or 2 small wires on the solenoid. One wire comes from key switch. Put red test lead on it and the black lead on known ground. Turn key to start and see if you get 12 plus volts. If so you have a bad solenoid .If not you could have a bad switch or a bad safety relay in system and would need to look at wiring diagram.o.k. heres the scoop now. i did the tests you mentioned in the above quote. the first one i put the red cable on the positive side and put the other red on the side of the starter where the red cable connects and got nothing. i did test 2 and got about 12.6 volts. i did test 3 and got 10.74 volts when i turned the key to on. according to you i have a bad starter and solenoid. is this correct or could one being bad cause the other to not work.. thanks.
randy

FIXDISS
07-12-2006, 06:27 PM
Try one more test. Take jumper cables and hook to your pickup truck.Do not start truck. Take the black cable and hook it to the base of the mower engine where it will stay connected. Take the red cable and touch it directly to the starter terminal. If starter does not engage and spin engine you have bad starter.

lawnwizards
07-13-2006, 08:47 AM
Try one more test. Take jumper cables and hook to your pickup truck.Do not start truck. Take the black cable and hook it to the base of the mower engine where it will stay connected. Take the red cable and touch it directly to the starter terminal. If starter does not engage and spin engine you have bad starter.
its fixed. it was a bad solenoid. had one from an old briggs lawn tractor and exchanged them and it started right up.. thanks for all the help everybody.

FIXDISS
07-13-2006, 05:23 PM
its fixed. it was a bad solenoid. had one from an old briggs lawn tractor and exchanged them and it started right up.. thanks for all the help everybody.

LOT CHEAPER THAN CONVERTING TO PULL START TOO.:hammerhead:

lawnwizards
07-13-2006, 06:47 PM
LOT CHEAPER THAN CONVERTING TO PULL START TOO.:hammerhead:
yeah i know. and the thing is, i had a solenoid off an old lawn tractor just waiting for me to use it and it was free... again i want to thank you guys for your help.

Dirty Water
07-14-2006, 11:44 AM
yeah i know. and the thing is, i had a solenoid off an old lawn tractor just waiting for me to use it and it was free... again i want to thank you guys for your help.

In the future, you probably won't be able to bump the starter using just the red battery cable. Its better to ground the battery and cable to a chassy point as well for a better circuit.

Thats why you were not able to get the starter to bump that way.

My mower has a burned out solinoid, and in my lazyness I just start it with a pair of jumpers, I could change the solinoid but why?? :D