PDA

View Full Version : Do Gator Blades make a difference if....

NewbieNC
07-05-2006, 05:01 PM
Do Gator Blades make a difference if you use side discharge???

mulcahy mowing
07-05-2006, 05:22 PM
Alone they might mess-up your discharging I would try doubles, Gators over high lift If you want smaller clippings. Gators alone will make a mess under the deck. chops the grass up fine but then has no power to throw the clippings. so the high lifts do that job. not sure if this is the case on southern grasses though.

Hope this helps you

mcwlandscaping
07-05-2006, 05:26 PM
doubles wear out spindles faster IMO, too fast.....othe LCO has either gators or an equivalent to them on a side discharge mower and they work fantastic!

tacoma200
07-05-2006, 07:18 PM
Do Gator Blades make a difference if you use side discharge???

Do they make a difference compared to what kind of blade? In what conditions? I have found they are inferior to high lifts where I'm at but do a heck of a job come autumn (leaves). Most have not got enough lift, even the high lift gators for my needs. Forget them in spring growth around here.

twwlawn
07-05-2006, 07:48 PM
Great for mulching in dry to moist conditions and in the fall for leaves. There useless during the spring time.

jt5019
07-05-2006, 07:57 PM
Great for mulching in dry to moist conditions and in the fall for leaves. There useless during the spring time.

I feel the same way.

Splicer
07-05-2006, 08:19 PM
Gator Blades are designed as side discharge blades NOT enclosed mulching blades...

David Haggerty
07-05-2006, 08:27 PM
My WB is set up like Jim from MulcahyMowing said. Really works great year 'round. Doubles don't take any extra toll on spindles, but they do require extra power because you're stirring more air and cutting more grass. It'll cut the same blade of grass in to several pieces.
Like the others said too, the gators just don't have much lift by themselves.

jtkplc
07-05-2006, 09:13 PM
Last year when I used to side discharge on my Gravely 260Z, I always had Gator Magnums on. It worked very well and chopped up the clippings finer, which meant double cutting was reduced some. I really liked them, but sometimes in thicker grass, they wouldn't suck the grass up as well, so the cut quality wasn't as good. With anything, there are pro's and con's. They are awesome in leaves, double Gator Magnums destroy leaves and pack them fairly tight in the bagger.

And no they don't work with a mulching kit on, they create to much turbulence and leave streaks of uncut grass in between the mower blades.

Oldtimer
07-06-2006, 07:59 AM
Gators are designed to cut a max of 2" and don't perform well in tall grass.

Oldtimer

ProStreetCamaro
07-06-2006, 08:04 AM
High lifts only on everything we own. Tried gators once and NEVER again!

Roger
07-06-2006, 10:11 PM
I am more concerned with even dispersal of clippings than the size of the clippings. Even if Gators make clippings a bit finer, but leave them unevenly distributed on discharge, the benefit is lost.

I have never felt that whole clippings are a problem. However, I do consider rows, even though not very pronounced, are a bad problem. I think too much is made of fine clippings.

This myth is propagated to homeowners. Too often, they insist on mulching for finer clippings, but at the expense of clumps, rows behind the mower, etc. Whole clippings from a homeowner mower (any more for that matter) degrade just fine. But, rows, clumps, etc will show until the next mowing.

Oldtimer
07-06-2006, 10:55 PM
If the clippings can be seen 24 hours after mowing then you should mow more frequently, rake or bag.

Oldtimer

Rayholio
07-07-2006, 12:51 AM
We have used gators in our grasshoppers for 10-15 years... use 'em to mulch, discharge, and bag.. It's the only way to go IMHO...

Oldtimer
07-07-2006, 06:08 AM
What makes the Gator Mulcher different from ordinary mulching blades?

The high lift on the Gator Mulcher draws the grass up, giving it a clean, even cut Other mulching blades push grass down, often resulting in an uneven, ragged cut. The high lift also makes using the Gator Mulcher in bagging operations an excellent choice. You get the look of a bagged lawn while reducing clippings by up to 5O%.

How do the teeth work?

While it may appear that the raised teeth are for cutting, they don't cut the grass at all. It is the angle of the tooth that produces the excellent mulching results. The teeth angle toward the center of the blade to redirect the airflow and push the grass clippings back over the cutting edge of the mower blade again and again. At a maximum blade tip speed of 19,000 FPM the same grass clipping moves across the cutting edge an average of 4 times, resulting in a superior much. The teeth on other mulching blades angle out-from the blade, directing the clippings away from the blade's cutting edge, resulting in much larger clippings.

Is the Gator Mulcher right for my mower?

On standard mowers, the Gator Mulcher works best on multi-blade decks, particularly when mowing into the discharge. Mulching adapter kits are not required. For single blade applications we recommend installing a mulching kit for best results, but you will see significant mulching action even without an adapter. Gator Mulcher blades will enhance the performance of any mulching mower, single or multi-blade.

Under what conditions will the Gator Mulcher perform best?

The Gator Mulcher works best when removing about an 1 1/2 in. of grass, however many cutters have had success in much longer grass. The Gator Mulcher also performs extremely well in sandy conditions. For fall leaf cleanup, nothing works better. Leaves are reduced to a powder, so bagging or vacuuming is not required.

How do I sharpen a Gator Mulcher blade?

The teeth on the Gator Mulcher do not cut the grass, so sharpening them isn't required. Simply sharpen your GatorMulcher as you would any standard mower blade.

Is there a Gator Mulcher blade for my mower?

We offer universal Gator Mulchers for both residential and commercial mowers and over 100 others specifically designed for the most popular mower applications.

What about blade quality?

Gator Mulcher blades are made in the U.S. from the finest American-made, titanium-alloy high carbon steels. The cutting edges are carbide milled for a super sharp edge. Every blade is fully heat-treated to a Rockwell C-scale hardness of 40 to 45 for optimum safety and durability, then hand-straightened for a precision cut.

Idealtim
07-07-2006, 02:25 PM
Well there you go, If you still don't understand, don't get them.

sildoc
07-07-2006, 05:06 PM
Alone they might mess-up your discharging I would try doubles, Gators over high lift If you want smaller clippings. Gators alone will make a mess under the deck. chops the grass up fine but then has no power to throw the clippings. so the high lifts do that job. not sure if this is the case on southern grasses though.

Hope this helps you
Gator Magnums. Has a higher lift to discharge better. Another benefit is that they are thicker and last longer.

ProStreetCamaro
07-07-2006, 05:48 PM
Gator Magnums. Has a higher lift to discharge better. Another benefit is that they are thicker and last longer.

Nobody has mentioned yet that they dont produce as much lift as a standard blade and do not produce as clean a cut as a standard blade. This has been our experiance anyway. Maybe some people havent had that problem?

captken
07-07-2006, 11:08 PM
I have used Hustler Gator Blades since 2002.
I wore out the factory hi lifts, and ordered a new set last Summer to compare to the Gators.

I never wore the paint off while mowing, I took them off and they remain on a shelf somewhere in my shop.

The discharged clippings on one pass are very much finer using the Gators when compared to the hi lift blades. Clean even cuts.