PDA

View Full Version : Changing belts that have a spring loaded belt tensioner

dfor
07-05-2006, 06:54 PM
I need to change the deck belt. I have always had the type that is similar to a turnbuckle. Turn the nut to tighten up the belt. How do you guys relieve the tension on a belt that has the spring loaded tensioner? Thanks for any tips.

lawnmaniac883
07-05-2006, 06:55 PM
I need to change the deck belt. I have always had the type that is similar to a turnbuckle. Turn the nut to tighten up the belt. How do you guys relieve the tension on a belt that has the spring loaded tensioner? Thanks for any tips.

Take the spring off. Some more information about the kind of mower you have would help but for the most part you just get some big channel locks and pull the spring off CAREFULLY.

ed2hess
07-05-2006, 07:48 PM
On Scag you can roll the belt off the pulley and roll the new one back on without taking the spring off. Scag has a notch that the socket wrench fits in so you can take the spring load off if you want to.

ProLawns
07-05-2006, 07:55 PM
Use pliers to pull the spring off or pry it off with a big screwdriver. Make sure it doesn't fly off and cause injury. To put it back on use a piece of starter rope with a loop in one end. Hook one end of the spring and hook the rope on the other end and pull it over to it's mounting post. Sometimes you have to use your foot if it's a high tension spring.

FIXDISS
07-05-2006, 08:00 PM
In most cases the idler has a center bolt. Simply place a box-end wrench on the bolt head or the nut and pull the idler back so you can align belt . The nut should be tight enough to relieve tension without loosening up on you .

Restrorob
07-05-2006, 08:50 PM
I roll the belt off and on all spring loaded idler arms, Much easier than fighting a spring off and on.....

tallimeca
07-05-2006, 10:49 PM
just put a piece of rope around the idler arm and pull it back for leverage. Beats taking the spring off and trying to "roll" the belt. That can damage the belt.

Restrorob
07-05-2006, 11:01 PM
trying to "roll" the belt. That can damage the belt.

Hmmmm, I've yet to damage a belt in 15 yrs., Care to explain how ?

ProLawns
07-06-2006, 07:52 AM
The spring has to come off to replace the hydro pump belt on my Z because the belt goes behind the spring.

TLS
07-06-2006, 10:08 AM
I either do as RestroRob does, or I use the box wrench. Either way, the spring usually stays where it's at.

lawnmaniac883
07-06-2006, 01:32 PM
That can damage the belt.

How will that possibly damage an engine to deck belt or the like? Hell, you could take two pliers and twist away at the belt and nothing undisirable would happen. Plus, once you get the old belt off, there is no tension on the spring so you could just slip it off if you wanted and put the new one on then throw spring back into place.

Jim@MilkyWay
07-06-2006, 07:17 PM
.... Hell, you could take two pliers and twist away at the belt and nothing undisirable would happen.....
Say what now?:nono:

lawnmaniac883
07-06-2006, 08:04 PM
Say what now?:nono:

Just saying that you could exagerate the effects of rolling a belt off of a pully by twisting at it with two pliers, it wont split or break...