PDA

View Full Version : briggs ='s not much respect

Bagit
07-05-2006, 09:53 PM
I find it interesting when I read in a post. "Yea, the dealer told me we don't like briggs". Or hear it from a salesman. "Them briggs just don't hold up like a Kaw or Kohler". They are pushing there product foremost i know,but I think another reason is that they are strong engines w/ proper maint. Hence, the dealer may not see that engine in for a major repair.. Heck, aren't they the easiest to get parts for. Almost every brand of mower has a Briggs somewhere on the assembly line. Does kohler make racing engines? Briggs does.. The same technology is going into the Briggs as is the other engines. I'm not a basher of any, I just think Briggs needs some much overdue respect.. I would like to see all the companies that have a Briggs stand up and post about it! :usflag:

dvmcmrhp52
07-05-2006, 09:57 PM
Briggs got a name as a cheap homeowner type engine and it has been difficult for them to shake that stereotype, however they are coming out with better commercial type products and making headway in the market.
The 31 horse is a damn good engine so far.

tallimeca
07-05-2006, 10:19 PM
Most underated Motor on the market. That new 31 hp unit is a BEAST!!!

6'7 330
07-05-2006, 10:19 PM
Briggs Vanguards are good engine's manufactored by , if I'm not mistaken in a partnership or alliance with Dihatsu and Mitsubishi.

dvmcmrhp52
07-05-2006, 10:23 PM
Briggs Vanguards are good engine's manufactored by , if I'm not mistaken in a partnership or alliance with Dihatsu and Mitsubishi.

Yes on the Diahatsu, not sure about the mitsubishi thing.........

mike lane lawn care
07-05-2006, 10:31 PM
i have a kohler in my new broadmoor, but everything else has been briggs. my 21" mower has a 6.0 HP briggs
my old murray work tractor has a 12HP briggs
My previous simplicity regent had a 14HP briggs vanguard
my chipper has a briggs
and my presure washer has a briggs
I like the quality of my kohler enginge, but the briggs engine will last just as long when taken care of.

HenryB
07-05-2006, 10:38 PM
If you don't use the machine much, Briggs is a great engine. The Vanguards by Diahtsu are good motors, the ones by Briggs are awful. And yes, I wish I was wrong. Not for commercial use. I tried everything great maintenance, synthetic oil. If they are used a lot they crumble. I wish they would just copy Kawy or Kohler:hammerhead:

green acres lawns
07-05-2006, 10:43 PM
I have heard that the briggs-Diahatsu is part of the toyota group.

mike lane lawn care
07-05-2006, 11:02 PM
I have heard that the briggs-Diahatsu is part of the toyota group.
i heard that too

kenel
07-06-2006, 12:04 AM
I'm going to be very very very very very honest. Our company has over 70 vehicles in its fleet, all american made. My personal car is GM.

We have newer (and older -- talking 15 years) bobcats with kohler and briggs engines, and newer (and older) walkbehinds and ride-ons with the jap engines.

I talked to our in-house mechanic the other day about purchasing a new piece of equiptment that, in its previous models, used a briggs engine but now uses honda. I ask him his opinion -- as he works 55 hours a week on these damn things -- as to if the honda was as good as the briggs and if he could service the Honda. His reply?

"I'm sure I can...but...I never really have to ever touch the honda engines because they don't break."

So I asked, "What of the briggs and kohler?" -- he told me he's so used to working on them that he knows them like the back of his hand....

Six sigma took american manufacturing to the next level...maybe briggs can take a page out of the jap book and bring pride back to america.

"They just don't make 'em like they used to" -- goes for EVERYTHING.

kenel
07-06-2006, 12:06 AM
I should mention that we service every single machine on a weekly basis -- they're VERY well taken care of.

topsites
07-06-2006, 12:09 AM
Not to say I have problems with briggs, but nothing revvs like the Kohlers. I did like the 15hp vanguard but still it doesn't compare to my 15hp Kohler not just in rpm's but in raw power.

As for them breaking down, I run premium fuel and synthetic oil and they don't break on me.

dvmcmrhp52
07-06-2006, 12:10 AM
I'm going to be very very very very very honest. Our company has over 70 vehicles in its fleet, all american made. My personal car is GM.

We have newer (and older -- talking 15 years) bobcats with kohler and briggs engines, and newer (and older) walkbehinds and ride-ons with the jap engines.

I talked to our in-house mechanic the other day about purchasing a new piece of equiptment that, in its previous models, used a briggs engine but now uses honda. I ask him his opinion -- as he works 55 hours a week on these damn things -- as to if the honda was as good as the briggs and if he could service the Honda. His reply?

"I'm sure I can...but...I never really have to ever touch the honda engines because they don't break."

So I asked, "What of the briggs and kohler?" -- he told me he's so used to working on them that he knows them like the back of his hand....

Six sigma took american manufacturing to the next level...maybe briggs can take a page out of the jap book and bring pride back to america.

"They just don't make 'em like they used to" -- goes for EVERYTHING.

Ok, then tell me why a well maintained Kawi engine with around 200 hours on it cooked a bearing and blew the engine?
Can't speak too much to the Honda's, only have one on a pressure washer....

They all have some issues at times.

old dog 80
07-06-2006, 12:13 AM
I quit using Briggs cause they did not like commercial use..Down time equals no profit.Parts cost a lot no matter who makes them.Don't like the Honda dealers
in my area(they'd rather sell cycles and quads) so I use Kawis,though I do have a 27 hp Kohler with 800 hrs on it that I like.

old dog 80
07-06-2006, 12:17 AM
Ok, then tell me why a well maintained Kawi engine with around 200 hours on it cooked a bearing and blew the engine?

Ask your dealer bout that one .I have an old single cylinder 14 hp on a hydro
walk behind with AT LEAST 7000 hours on it,never been cracked open and doesn't use oil.Needs a carb but don't think it is worth fixin(what goes next?)

Lynden-Jeff
07-06-2006, 12:17 AM
If Briggs vangard is part of the toyota corp they are probably great engines. Toyota makes awsome car engines just like honda.

Cheers
Jeff

kenel
07-06-2006, 12:20 AM
Like I said, I'm 100% for keeping the $$ in America guys -- Just expressing our experiences.

ProStreetCamaro
07-06-2006, 12:20 AM
My friend that owns and operates a sales and service center for power equipment calls them "Briggs and scrap iron". The vanguard and the new 31hp engines seem pretty good but I will never own another briggs after haveing one kick a rod through the side of the block after 1 season of use.

6'7 330
07-06-2006, 12:23 AM

Firstly,Kawasaki is all in all the best option for power equipment, if you don't ever have to utilize their warranty . However as you indicate, quality control can go south at times. We had a BRAND NEW in 2005 6HP 180 need a value job, and Kawi did'nt want to honor their warranty.Again in 05, we had two brand new larger HP Kawi's blow at the damn sump,again Kawi trys to fudge the warranty.All the years we have used Kawi power, these were the first outrageous failures.All future mower and equipment purchase will be powered with something other then Kawi, because of their pissing on me and trying to tell me it was rain falling.Kawi steadfast belief they can never built a faulty engine, and they can never be at fault in their quality control, lost them a customer who buys(or I should say bought) a hell of a lot of their product.

ProStreetCamaro
07-06-2006, 12:36 AM
Firstly,Kawasaki is all in all the best option for power equipment, if you don't ever have to utilize their warranty . However as you indicate, quality control can go south at times. We had a BRAND NEW in 2005 6HP 180 need a value job, and Kawi did'nt want to honor their warranty.Again in 05, we had two brand new larger HP Kawi's blow at the damn sump,again Kawi trys to fudge the warranty.All the years we have used Kawi power, these were the first outrageous failures.All future mower and equipment purchase will be powered with something other then Kawi, because of their pissing on me and trying to tell me it was rain falling.Kawi steadfast belief they can never built a faulty engine, and they can never be at fault in their quality control, lost them a customer who buys(or I should say bought) a hell of a lot of their product.

To many problems with them here also. Engine failures before they should have let loose. Kohler have never given us any problems and seem to have more power than the kawi's. From now on its kohler only for us.

dvmcmrhp52
07-06-2006, 12:52 AM

Agreed.
Won't buy any more Kawi's for now..........we'll see what happens with the Big Block Briggs, and so far..........The Kohlers are the top performers.

lawnboy dan
07-06-2006, 09:33 AM
cant you guys read? the new briggs IS JAPANESE!