PDA

View Full Version : Toro 8 hour Hydraulic filter change.

DJL50
07-05-2006, 10:16 PM
I have a new 400 Z master Toro ZTR. I have made it to the 8 hour Hydraulic oil filter change. A few questions.

1) No where in the owners manual does it say anything about changing the Hydraulic oil itself. Only the filter. Do I not also have to change the oil?

2) If I take off the oil filter won't all the oil run out of the system? So I will be changing all the oil right?

Jim@MilkyWay
07-05-2006, 10:37 PM
I pondered this same question once on a Kubota diesel, and after running a lot of expensive fluid out on the ground, I realized that, if I had parked my machine such that the filter was as "high" as possible, then most of the fluid will be as low as possible. Does that make any sense at all? In other words, tip the machine to one side and/or front to back and let gravity give you a hand keeping fluid out of the filter inlet/port. Screw the old filter off and have the new filter ready to go on like, right now.

DJL50
07-05-2006, 11:42 PM
I pondered this same question once on a Kubota diesel, and after running a lot of expensive fluid out on the ground, I realized that, if I had parked my machine such that the filter was as "high" as possible, then most of the fluid will be as low as possible. Does that make any sense at all? In other words, tip the machine to one side and/or front to back and let gravity give you a hand keeping fluid out of the filter inlet/port. Screw the old filter off and have the new filter ready to go on like, right now.

That makes sense. So am I to understand that changing the hydraulic fluid is not near as important as changing the engine oil? I guess that is what I am comparing it to. On the Toro the filter is at the lowest point of the unit. The oil tank is above it. The highest point above the engine. The manual say to take off the old filter then put on the new filter but not tighten it down. Keep a 1/4" gap between the gasket and the base. Fill oil in the tank till oil travels down to the filter and starts to over-flow then tighten the filter down all the way. I asked my dealer about this and seemed surprised that was how it was telling me to do this.

Jim@MilkyWay
07-06-2006, 12:02 AM
Anybody?
My take on break-in hydraulic fluid is, that the filter should be changed, but not necessarily the fluid. Engine oil lives in a _very_ hostile environment. Hydro fluid gets a lot of pressure put on it, but it is not 'under fire' so to speak. The filter should be changed after break-in, as any "garbage" that is going to break lose from who knows where, or that is in any way foreign to your internal pump mechanism, valves, fittings etc., and other components, will theoretically get trapped in the filter at break-in. Once it is in the filter, why not remove it.
I am no authority on this, but does that seem sound enough?

ALarsh
07-06-2006, 12:21 AM
I didn't replace my hydro filter after 8 hours, but I did it at 200 hours. Fill up the new filter with the oil to let it soak in with the filter. Keep on filling up the new filter until it holds oil up to the rim (oil isn't soaking into the filter anymore).

Then take off your old filter and quickly put the new one on and thread it tight. Wipe away all oil that has spilled and get it clean. Then unscrew the filter slightly and start pouring oil into the reservoir. When you see oil coming down the filter tighten it all the way. Fill up the reservoir to where the cold full line is and run the engine for 5 minutes to bleed the system. Turn it off and check the oil level and add if needed to get the oil level where you need it.

DJL50
07-06-2006, 12:42 AM
I didn't replace my hydro filter after 8 hours, but I did it at 200 hours. Fill up the new filter with the oil to let it soak in with the filter. Keep on filling up the new filter until it holds oil up to the rim (oil isn't soaking into the filter anymore).

Then take off your old filter and quickly put the new one on and thread it tight. Wipe away all oil that has spilled and get it clean. Then unscrew the filter slightly and start pouring oil into the reservoir. When you see oil coming down the filter tighten it all the way. Fill up the reservoir to where the cold full line is and run the engine for 5 minutes to bleed the system. Turn it off and check the oil level and add if needed to get the oil level where you need it.

Thanks!
When you say "run the engine for 5 minutes to bleed the system." did you jack up the back so the tires could spin? Read that some were.

ALarsh
07-06-2006, 12:44 AM
You can do either one. I think in the toro manual it says just to let it idle. I did jack up the back and pushed the sticks slightly forward so the wheels move at a slow pace.