PDA

View Full Version : Lazer + New Belt = Something ain't right

Keith
07-05-2006, 11:27 PM
I'll start off by saying I had a very good cutting 2003 EPS Lazer. The machine had problems early in it's life, but has pretty much always cut well.

Back in May I needed new belts. So I went to a dealer and they sold me a new mule belt, 103-4014. My owner's manual called for a 103-3097, but that one had been superseded by 103-4092 (kit). I asked Exmark about this and they confirmed that the new belt I had purchased was the one that needed to be used. The belt included in 103-4092 (kit) was 103-4014, it just had instructions included that made it a "kit." Instructions? For a belt? I did not know what I had gotten myself into.

This new mule belt is longer. Now what the instructions were for was to push the deck forward by adjusting the ball joints and effectively making the strut longer. First off, I did not like this fix. The other belt seemed just fine. It looks like they did it to cut the amount of part numbers. Replacing the belt should not require this much work. The second thing is, to me, pushing the deck forward can't possibly be good for anything other than making a belt fit. The deck is now very close to the front tires. The chains, rather than hanging straight down, are at an angle. My first thought was, "this is going to cause a problem somewhere." I thought it might scalp going over rolling ground more than before, but there are two other problems that it never had before. The deck "digs" when you come to a stop sometimes. In other words, you looks and you see three distinct 20.5" quarter moons from where the blades just bit into the turf at the leading edge. The other thing it's doing is leaving a huge amount of stringers directly in line with where the front tires pass over. Bottom line, everything has to be cut a second time now.

Maybe it's a fluke, but all this showed up with the new belt and the adjustment necessary to use this belt. Has anyone else run into this?