PDA

View Full Version : what ztr has the best cut quality??

urbanlandscape.mn
07-05-2006, 11:20 PM
Looking to buy a new ztr. I am thinking scag or toro?? I have toro/ lesco mowrs now. What do you like or have heard about commercial ztrs

Grounds Keeper
07-08-2006, 08:18 PM
Best way to tell is to demo each one for 1 day on your route / Scag & Toro are both good , I have a Toro ( 27h.p. / 52" ) changed the pto clutch today...$300 has 550 hours on it ...not too impressed with that! also have an Exmark with 2000 hours ( 18 h.p. / 44" ) ... in those 2000 hours, I've changed the belt 2 times & deck pulley's 3 times.. ( open pulleys, got rained on) has the original spark plugs & starts with a touch of the switch. only problem with exmark in my opinion is that you can't grease the spindles. hope this helps!

hmartin
07-08-2006, 08:20 PM
Do a search on this subject. You will find about a weeks worth of reading on this question.

LLandscaping
07-08-2006, 08:49 PM
We have two Scag ztrs and have been please with the cut and durability. We replaced a clutch on one at 600hrs (weak clutch from factory) and a few belts. The main thing with any mower is to do preventive maintenance and most will last a long time. We also have a great Scag dealer that care of us if we have a problem. We have Toro 21's and a Toro 37" midsize. Toro also makes good equipment, just find a good local dealer whatever you buy.

poonero
07-08-2006, 09:22 PM
the chicken or the egg?

Mike Blevins
07-08-2006, 09:42 PM
i have had great service out of my scag, i have 25 accounts a week and 290 hrs. and no problems yet. its like they say its all in how you maintain your equipment!

mcwlandscaping
07-08-2006, 10:12 PM
finally a new topic on LS!..................hahahahhahahaha, do a search, youll find millions of posts about this! welcome to LS though!!! its great here

tacoma200
07-09-2006, 08:31 AM
As many years as I've been reading the post on Lawsite and other sites the Exmark Ultra Cut deck has gotten better reviews overall than any other deck, hands down. They Changed the deck this year but you can still find some 05 models in the showroom if you check around. Scag's new deck seems to be a good one, Hustler has had some problems with Northern grass, Exmarks new deck (Triton) has had problems with Northern grasses. All I can say is try before you buy in the worst possible conditions, wet, lush, tall grass and see how they preform in your area. Right now my money would be on an Ultra Cut Exmark or the new Scag deck. Maybe Hustler with the fix added. No one is going to agree on this subject.

ProStreetCamaro
07-09-2006, 09:15 AM
Everybody will tell you to try before you buy. Well that doesnt fly here. Nobody will let you try a mower period. They will let you drive it around but you can not enguage the blades.

Now my suggestion would be to check out Cub commercial Tanks, Gravely, Hustler, Bob-cats and toro's. Go look them over very good. Check out things like ease of maintenance, over all design and make sure the dealer will be there to support you in a hurry if you have a problem. Then and only then should you make your decision.

MTR
07-09-2006, 11:48 AM
Looking to buy a new ztr. I am thinking scag or toro?? I have toro/ lesco mowrs now. What do you like or have heard about commercial ztrs

Gravely 100 & 200 series or Lesco Z two.

mhussey
07-09-2006, 12:01 PM
I would highly recomend Toro with the Turbo Force deck. Cub Cadet/ Lesco's also leave a good cut. Other notables include Hustler, Scag, Exmark ( Ultra Cut), Bob Cat.

jtkplc
07-09-2006, 01:14 PM
Of the mowers I've used up here in grasses in Michigan, the Exmark Ultracut deck is by far superior. I've used Gravely, Wright, Great Dane, and Exmark.

FinerCutslawnCare
07-09-2006, 02:16 PM
In my opinion I like my exmark verrrrrrry well....I have had NO problems with it and I think it cuts great. If I were to get a second mower it would be scag hands down!

kc2006
07-09-2006, 02:49 PM
triton :laugh:

tacoma200
07-09-2006, 04:22 PM
triton :laugh:
That"s a good one! You brought down that ship single handedly. Hey how's your new mower doing? Because of you I wouldn't buy a Triton right now and glad I have my Ultra Cut. My main two choices for the moment would be a Scag which has had no issues with the new deck or Hustler which has had alot of issues but they are working on them. The ride of the Huster with the flex forks is the most attractive feature over the Scag. Both heavy made mowers. The last Scag I tested was pretty stiff even with the suspension seat but really heavy construction. Hope your new mower is doing great.

kc2006
07-09-2006, 05:04 PM
ultra cut is performing just like I expected it to, perfectly. The 28efi is a big bonus too, that thing is using hardly any fuel! I am however thinking of selling the mower, I had intentions to sell it right when I got it with no hours on it (I got it so cheap I would of made money on it actually) but I put 12 hours on it and now it's sitting. After the big ordeal I just don't even want to use it. The dealer was alittle snotty with me by insulting me with only taking cash for the difference I owed him (wouldn't take a check) so that to me is a big kick and for that I won't do business with him now. I'm the type where if you screw with me I'll go out of my way to not deal with you again...that's how I feel right now.

The hustler boys have proved to me time and time again to come to them, probably going to pick up a 28/60 hustler next week and list the exmark on ebay.

tacoma200
07-10-2006, 08:28 AM
ultra cut is performing just like I expected it to, perfectly. The 28efi is a big bonus too, that thing is using hardly any fuel! I am however thinking of selling the mower, I had intentions to sell it right when I got it with no hours on it (I got it so cheap I would of made money on it actually) but I put 12 hours on it and now it's sitting. After the big ordeal I just don't even want to use it. The dealer was alittle snotty with me by insulting me with only taking cash for the difference I owed him (wouldn't take a check) so that to me is a big kick and for that I won't do business with him now. I'm the type where if you screw with me I'll go out of my way to not deal with you again...that's how I feel right now.

The hustler boys have proved to me time and time again to come to them, probably going to pick up a 28/60 hustler next week and list the exmark on ebay.
Glad the Exmark is cutting good. Let us know when you list it. I have switched dealers because of bad attitudes also. When I go to buy a mower they are working for me not the other way around. The "I'm doing you a favor selling you a mower" doesn't cut it with me.

sawman65
07-10-2006, 12:54 PM
years ago exmark had a deck called the trivantage the best deck ever hands down. we work with the ferris now and i dont think anything comes close. do a search and you wont find much on it . that is a good thing.

mulcahy mowing
07-10-2006, 01:17 PM
I still have a tri-vantage deck 36" w/b, never clumps ever and cuts the best i have ever seen.

ProStreetCamaro
07-10-2006, 01:34 PM
years ago exmark had a deck called the trivantage the best deck ever hands down. we work with the ferris now and i dont think anything comes close. do a search and you wont find much on it . that is a good thing.

Our Lazer HP has the 48" TriVantage deck and now has 2,400 hours on it. Now let me say this. When it is dry or wet the deck cuts great and makes a carpet like cut. BUT when its wet and thick it clumps pretty bad even though it leaves a nice cut. Now our new Cub Tank M48 cuts great in all conditions and does not clump or leave debris in wide windrows like the TriVantage does. BUT I dont think it cuts quite as cleanly as the TriVantage does but you really have to look hard to see any difference. I think the TriVantage was a great deck and is still a great deck over all.

MTR
07-10-2006, 03:12 PM
Yeah, Trivantage cuts great same deck like TTHP, but look at Gravely air-flow, Lesco, and new Turbo force, and Scag velo deck....eXmark probably change name to Toro, they better off.:usflag:

Envy Lawn Service
07-10-2006, 03:58 PM
Our Lazer HP has the 48" TriVantage deck and now has 2,400 hours on it. Now let me say this. When it is dry or wet the deck cuts great and makes a carpet like cut. BUT when its wet and thick it clumps pretty bad even though it leaves a nice cut. Now our new Cub Tank M48 cuts great in all conditions and does not clump or leave debris in wide windrows like the TriVantage does. BUT I dont think it cuts quite as cleanly as the TriVantage does but you really have to look hard to see any difference. I think the TriVantage was a great deck and is still a great deck over all.

As a similar owner, I feel pretty much exactly the same way.

When using the old eXmark decks in their 'niche' conditions, they are hard to beat for crispness of cut. But even so, rarely can I ever see a difference, and if I do only "I" can see it, and if I do it's never anything that a really fine adjustment for conditions can't fix.

Sadly though, I have came to realize 3 things over time.....

1) I don't have those 'niche' conditions all day every day.

2) Anything can leave a nice cut after 2 or 3 passes and that's nothing special.

3) Making 2 or 3 passes on a real frequint basis to achieve acceptable results gets old fast!

Over all, day in day out, I just can't seem to beat the all-around cut quality of the Command Cut Deck on the Lesco/Cub Commercial ZTR's. This deck does not discriminate... it cuts everything well in all conditions. It cuts just as well if not better than all the other decks in favorable conditions, and it out-cuts them in the non-favorable conditions... all in a single pass.

That I like.
I just wish I had a diesel or EFI gas instead of the 25hp Kawasaki when I look at the gas bill.
And every once in a while, I wish I had that extra power in the field.
But that's rare.

sweatyclippingcoveredguy
07-11-2006, 03:32 PM
What ZTR has the best cut quality????

THE ONE WITH THE SHARPEST BLADES

mhussey
07-11-2006, 03:44 PM
What ZTR has the best cut quality????

THE ONE WITH THE SHARPEST BLADES

That is not necessarily true!

2menandamower
07-11-2006, 03:56 PM
I just bought a DIXON Kodiak 50 about 2 months ago and I love it. It is very easy to service and has a great looking cut. I use a mulching kit on it and it is very easy to change to side discharge if I want or need to do that. If you have a Dixon dealer around look at them and if you don't then go to Dixon-usa.com and look them over and see if you can find a dealer that will seel you one. They have great customer support and again I love mine and will not even think of changing that brand of mower anytime in the near future. I only have about 90 hours on mine but it is a great machine.....

I also used to use the Gator blades and I changed to a super high lift blade and it makes the cut that much better. I don't really care for the gator blades because I have seen too many stringers left behind in the tough grasses. This may not be the same for everyone but that is the results I have seen with the use of gator blades. Good in the fall for leaves but not for regular mulch mowing....

WREBELMACHINE
07-11-2006, 05:27 PM
I will throw one in for you. Of all the diffrent brands of mowers that I have owned or demoed the Encore Prowler 72" is the prettiest cutting of them. Now that is normal week to week mowing not brushhogging!

2manymowers
07-11-2006, 07:06 PM
I will throw one in for you. Of all the diffrent brands of mowers that I have owned or demoed the Encore Prowler 72" is the prettiest cutting of them. Now that is normal week to week mowing not brushhogging!

So in your opinion which 72" Z is the best for bushhogging?

Rhinox29
07-11-2006, 11:50 PM
I prefer my 52 inch Badboy pup ( I love That dog). It cuts strong and neat. But, to be honest the house next door that is forsale is cut by a guy with an Exmark. When you compare that yard with mine when we mow the same day. I can't tell a difference they look the same.

WGASA
07-12-2006, 01:20 PM
Not one mention or reference in this entire thread conserning John Deere 737 or 757 ???

J&R Landscaping
07-12-2006, 01:56 PM
I was running a BOBCAT 52" rider last season and the 2nd half of season 2004. Dispite having some 2800 hours on it, it worked extremely well and gave everything a great cut! I would highly recomend one as they have an awsome cut. Check out TORO, and Lesco! If you go into the pictures forum, look at signiture landscapings stripes. I believe they were made with a lesco and they look great!

WREBELMACHINE
07-13-2006, 08:37 AM
If you were going to use one for that the best tall grass cutting mower I have used is a Schweiss. Not far behind that is the bladerunner and dixie chopper.

2manymowers
07-13-2006, 10:06 PM
If you were going to use one for that the best tall grass cutting mower I have used is a Schweiss. Not far behind that is the bladerunner and dixie chopper.

OK, thanks for the response. I have a 72" DC and assumed it was about the best commercial mower for bushhogging. Though I often wish I had invested the extra dollars for the 50 hp diesel.

WPLE
07-13-2006, 11:17 PM
Not one mention or reference in this entire thread conserning John Deere 737 or 757 ???

My 737 cuts like crap, new scag this winter will solve that problem. I will never buy a deere commercial mower again. The two previous deerehomeowner mowers I bought for $3500 cut better than the $7500 mower I have now. Not pleased at all.

Jay's Lawncare
07-14-2006, 12:27 PM
then you definitely have something that needs to be adjusted on your mower because my 737 cuts perfectly, the 7 iron deck is a proven performer

WPLE
07-14-2006, 01:47 PM
then you definitely have something that needs to be adjusted on your mower because my 737 cuts perfectly, the 7 iron deck is a proven performer

Been there, done that Mr. Jay. Spent the whole first season I had it bickering with the dealer. In and out of the shop 5 times till I finally called deere and they sent the regional rep. and mechanic to one of my yards and worked on it there. It cuts better but still not a $7500 cut. The dealer performance was not the issue. It was and still is the proven deck. Just got a bad taste in my mouth and won't make that mistake again.

Jay's Lawncare
07-14-2006, 04:45 PM
Been there, done that Mr. Jay. Spent the whole first season I had it bickering with the dealer. In and out of the shop 5 times till I finally called deere and they sent the regional rep. and mechanic to one of my yards and worked on it there. It cuts better but still not a $7500 cut. The dealer performance was not the issue. It was and still is the proven deck. Just got a bad taste in my mouth and won't make that mistake again.
Yeah I have had similar situations with other products and no matter how much everyone else says the product is good, once you have a bad taste in your mouth, its hard to get rid of it.

Lynden-Jeff
07-14-2006, 04:54 PM
I was running a BOBCAT 52" rider last season and the 2nd half of season 2004. Dispite having some 2800 hours on it, it worked extremely well and gave everything a great cut! I would highly recomend one as they have an awsome cut. Check out TORO, and Lesco! If you go into the pictures forum, look at signiture landscapings stripes. I believe they were made with a lesco and they look great!

I agree, my Bobcat ZTR is great.

Cheers
Jeff

Envy Lawn Service
07-15-2006, 09:49 PM
Those Schweiss mowers are interesting looking...

Never heard of them until now.

lee's lawn service
08-08-2006, 09:39 PM
i used to have exmark loved it there mowers went up this year and they went to a smaller motor so i went to a scag the scag is ok but its not an exmark if i could cell my scagg i would get another exmark