PDA

View Full Version : dead coil?

imdawrlus
07-05-2006, 11:23 PM
04 52'' turf tracer kawi 17 V twin.

so i'm mowing today and i went through some tall grass. the engine starts to cough. so i play with the throttle and it eventually went away.

then it starts to cough and lose power again.

then it happened one more time and it was so bad that it wouldent snap out of it, i had to drive back to my house and check the mower.

so i pull the air cleaner off and look at the carb. thats all good. fuel pump good. float works good.

pull the plugs--the left hand side plug looks extreemly white, but still acceptable. the right hand plug looked blacker than black. if i put them next to eachother it would look like a before and after picture of michael jackson.

so anyways i put everything back together and its workin fine now. so i head back to work. while i'm finishing up the last lawn of the day, it starts to cough and lose power again, this time just as i'm putting the blades on. so i pull the right side plug wire-no difference in how its running. i pull the left side plug, the engine stalls. so i found the problem, dead cylinder-no spark.

i go back to the house and pull the cover off and see two coils and a dead mouse haha. i pull off the dead coil and inspect it. everything looks ok on the outside. i pulled the boot apart and checked everything there. everything looks good. i taped up where the plug wire comes out of the coil because it looked kind of loose. it was probably normal tho.

so anyways is it normal for a coil on this new of an engine to crap out??

Jim@MilkyWay
07-05-2006, 11:46 PM
....pull the plugs--the left hand side plug looks extreemly white, but still acceptable. the right hand plug looked blacker than black. if i put them next to eachother it would look like a before and after picture of michael jackson....
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: _Very funny_:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Restrorob
07-06-2006, 06:45 AM
Kawasaki's are known for coils petering out, Just replace it and keep mowing.

imdawrlus
07-07-2006, 01:40 AM
yea so the coil died completly today while i was in the middle of a commercial account. i went to a couple dealers and finaly found one that had the coil in stock. half hour away. it took them forever to look up in the computer and they almost didnt find it. anyways, bought it, threw it on out in the parking lot. now everythings good.

i still have another coil coming in the mail. i guess i'll replace the other one too.

lawnmaniac883
07-07-2006, 12:16 PM
yea so the coil died completly today while i was in the middle of a commercial account. i went to a couple dealers and finaly found one that had the coil in stock. half hour away. it took them forever to look up in the computer and they almost didnt find it. anyways, bought it, threw it on out in the parking lot. now everythings good.

i still have another coil coming in the mail. i guess i'll replace the other one too.

If it aint broke dont fix it. Save the new coil till another one gives out. You arent going to increase lifespan or spark by having new coils.

Jim@MilkyWay
07-07-2006, 12:47 PM
If it aint broke dont fix it. Save the new coil till another one gives out. You arent going to increase lifespan or spark by having new coils.

I'll support you on this one Maniac. Don't send it back if it was not tooooo awfully expensive. Just hang it in the garage with spare belts, filters etc. so you can put your hands on it when needed. DO, however toss the bad one so it does not get mixed up/in with the good stuff.