PDA

View Full Version : Towing with a Ford Ranger

vball2116
07-06-2006, 12:40 AM
Hey everyone...I am 17 and just starting to slowly get into the lawn care business. I currently drive a 2000 Ford Ranger and the bed for it is starting to get small so im now looking into buying a trailer. Its a V6 4WD and auto transmission. I was thinking of getting either a 5X8 or 5X10 trailer. Have any of you ever had experience with towing with a Ranger because I would like to hear what you used or any problems? Thanks.

Jeff

Brianslawn
07-06-2006, 01:00 AM
best little truck. you could go 16'. 6x12 is better choice.

FearThisDeere
07-06-2006, 10:05 AM
I too would go with the 6x12'. I had a 1995 Ranger and it pulled my loaded 6x10' around w/o any problems. Do a search and you will find some threads about Rangers.

Lawn Masters
07-06-2006, 12:17 PM
best little truck out there. PERIOD. miniature tanks at a lesser cost if you asked me.

KS_Grasscutter
07-06-2006, 12:18 PM
I pull my trailer (i think 7x12) with a 2002 ranger. It does fine for me, but i wouldnt want to pull anything bigger with it.

Howie's Lawn Care
07-06-2006, 12:35 PM
Hey everyone...I am 17 and just starting to slowly get into the lawn care business. I currently drive a 2000 Ford Ranger and the bed for it is starting to get small so im now looking into buying a trailer. Its a V6 4WD and auto transmission. I was thinking of getting either a 5X8 or 5X10 trailer. Have any of you ever had experience with towing with a Ranger because I would like to hear what you used or any problems? Thanks.

Jeff
I think I can help since I have the same truck:waving:. Its pretty much the same situation I was in. I ended up getting a 6' X 12' American brand utility trailer with 2ft sidewalls and ramp gate. I paid $1190.00 after tax. It is a single axle. I am pulling a ZTR, 21", trimmer, edger, blower. The truck does fine in town, but you'll definetley know your pulling. Its not bad witht eh unloaded trailer, but the truck shakes alot. On the highway, it does mediocre. You'll probably get passed by alot of impatient hoes. If you drive around 56-58, the RPMs stay around 2100. You'll definetley slow down when going up inclines, but its not too bad. If you plan on getting or have a ZTR, you should get at least a 6' X 12'. I got sidewalls on mine so I could put the jungle jim's racks on easier. It looks pretty sharp. By the way, mine is the 4.0L. I hope this helps.

-Nick Howard

vball2116
07-06-2006, 01:31 PM
Hey guys thanks a lot for the posts. I can see now that a Ranger can really hold its own while towing. I still think i want to go with the 5X10 trailer until I get used to driving with a trailer. I am planning on putting on a Class II or Class III hitch on it during the next few weeks. What hitches do you guys have the most success with and also where did you get yours from. I really appreciate all the help that you have for me. Thanks.

Jeff

DoetschOutdoor
07-06-2006, 02:05 PM
You will regret getting a trailer that small if you ever plan on growing your biz. I had a 92' Ranger 2wd manual with only the 3.0 and it pulled a 6x12 with a wb and other gear on there fine so yours wont have a problem. 5x10 is really small, just get the 6x12 or maybe a little bigger and you will be happier in the long run. See if anyone in your area has a good shape used hitch, I found a brand new one in my area that a guy just had sitting around and got for 30 bucks. Otherwise, just shop around your local trailer shops and find the best deal

Brianslawn
07-06-2006, 06:48 PM
my 2.3l will pull a 6x12 with 2 walkers on it. dont need it, too, anymore, though. the little trailers are harder to back than the big ones. youll be happier in the long run with a 6x12.

Birdhunter1
07-06-2006, 07:07 PM
Ditto the 6x12 over the 5x8.
Though I use a 7x16 tandem axle I have on occasion borrowed a neighbors (used to have a 5x8) for towing my four wheeler then he sold the 5x8 and went to a 6x12 for hauling his Gravely ZTR and the 6x12 is alot nicer to tow than the 5x8.

vball2116
07-06-2006, 09:02 PM
Hey guys! well the majority says 6X12 so I would say that the smart choice would be the 6X12. Why is it that its easier to back up with the 6X12? My only other question is that should I go with the class II or class III hitch and should i get any other things done to my truck to prepare for getting a trailer?
Thanks for the posts.

Jeff

MTR
07-07-2006, 12:46 PM

Jeff

Any ranger, 2.3, 3.0, 4.0 manual & auto can pull 5x10 or 6x10 with a 52" Z on it, and a 21er tagged along including 2 cycle stuff. It does fine. The only big concern is how you brake...you need to give some distance and slowly brake, slow down gradually not abruptly coming to stop. Their brakes pad are so tiny compared to F-150 or bigger trucks.
Answer, yes, it can pull but be careful on brake, especially when raining.

Birdhunter1
07-07-2006, 06:53 PM
I'd go with the class III hitch on it, you may never overtload it and that is the exact reason I'g go with it... you won't overload it.

Plus don't class II hitches only come with a 1" square hole for the receiver? I've never owned a class II so i don't know but I believe they do.

The 12' long trailer will be easier to back up because it is longer. Short trailers are a real ***** alot of teh tme to back up. With a long trailer if you oversteer to much one way it is easy to correct, short trailers and you may find yourself doing alot of pulling forward to straighten out and trying again.

bugspit
07-07-2006, 07:19 PM

Jeff

I'm using a 97 long bed with a 3.0V6 auto 81Kmiles. I'm running 235/15 tires with a 2" lift, heavier rear springs and changed my gearing to 4.10's (had 3.73's)

I'm pulling a 5X10 carrying a Scag Tiger Cub 48" with electric brakes added to the trailer.
I'ts set up just right for what I'm doing, the electric brakes and suspension mods are a must IMO.
Great truck, the only thing I don't like is the MPG,13-15mpg pulling, I could get this with a diesel F250. :cry:

other mods - electric fan, underdrive pulley, K&N and a Jet chip (which doesn't do much untill you put your foot in it) :usflag:

bugspit
07-07-2006, 07:45 PM
Oh yeah, use a frame mount hitch.

I ran a 5X8 for a while on the bumper, when I mounted the new hitch I noticed my bumper was cracked.

Honerlaw-LawnCare
07-09-2006, 08:08 PM
I have a 5x10 trailer with basically the same set-up, except my truck is manual which helps a little. The only reason i would go with the 6x12 is if you plan on putting more than one mower on the trailer. Otherwise, the 5x10 is perfect. Ill try to get some pics to show you what my setup looks like. Also, its your first year, start out small and make as much money as you can.

infocus88
07-16-2006, 11:24 PM
My brother and I run an 2002 ranger v-6 4x4 with a 6x12. Little thing does great!