PDA

View Full Version : Mower suspension seat

tacoma200
07-06-2006, 11:04 AM
Well I think I found a good deal on a mower seat by Michigan seat. Someone on the Exmark forum suggested it and it's 200 dollars cheaper than the factory seat but it is the same seat. It has suspension and I think it is the stock seat for Scag, Hustler, Exmark etc. Here is a link if anyone is interested. $320 http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200268424_200268424

Palmer'sLS
07-06-2006, 02:57 PM
very interesting

EMWEB
07-06-2006, 04:55 PM
Have new Turf Tiger, a week old with supension seat. It says Michigan Seat / 5300 as clear as day. Michigan only offers one commercial turf supension seat & that is it. . .

http://www.mi-seat.com/turf/5300.html

http://www.mi-seat.com/accessories/index.html

Northern Tool Item # 17566 is the seat that came with my mower except mine says SCAG and is brown . . . .

a a green
07-06-2006, 06:42 PM
I put a suspention seat on this year, after bad back problems this winter. I got mine from northern tool. I think it was a Italian made seat. Anyway it works well.:weightlifter:

bigjeeping
07-06-2006, 08:29 PM
anyone own this michigan seat? how good does it work??

EMWEB
07-06-2006, 09:00 PM
It works very well . . . not as smooth as a car, but it sure removes the shock of each little bump, hole or dip . . . You dial in your weight . . . and yes it does work as it should . . .

Northern Tool Item # 17566 is the seat that came with my mower except mine says SCAG and is brown .

See my other post above . . .

FIRESCOOBY
07-07-2006, 12:51 AM
Same identical seat that came on my Hustler, but with two differences.

#1 - Mine is gray and has an "H" on it.

#2 - Mine was cheaper through my Hustler dealer, by about $50.

tacoma200
07-07-2006, 01:18 AM
My Exmark dealer said thier cost was $410. So have you got two seats now or did you just upgrade at the Hustler dealer. $270 sound awfully cheap thru a dealer.

Roger
07-07-2006, 06:52 AM
From the pictures, I don't see anything underneath (on the frame) to provide any spring/damper action. Yes, the words say "suspension" but it appears the seat frame is bolted directly to the Z frame. Is that right? Is the "suspension" only from the cushioning in the seat itself?

I bought my first ZTR (JD 717A) about two months ago. The ride is a killer on my body. Riding the BullRider sulky is less strenous than sitting on this "bronco" for a few hours per day. I think I need a seat with some spring action to level out the ride.

EMWEB
07-07-2006, 12:12 PM
No, the springs & supension system are built in a "torque" fashion . . .Large adjustable springs run front to back with a knob to adjust their tension. I weigh 247 lbs . . . If my wife gets on weighing 105lbs I have to back down the setting or she will have a very stiff ride . . . It is very similar to older truck seats before air seats were introduced . . .

tacoma200
07-07-2006, 12:26 PM
EMWEB is correct. The knob you see is the tension adjustment. I just rode an Exmark, Scag and Hustler with the same set up and it worked great. Exmark wants $500 for it. It's standard on Huster Super Z and the Larger Exmarks and Scags.

tacoma200
07-07-2006, 12:41 PM
They bolt holes were listed as 11" front to back and 11.25" side to side. This is the same as my Examark. I may have the two mixed up but I think thats right. It wouldn't be alot of trouble to modify your particular mower if if were a little off.

grass disaster
07-07-2006, 03:41 PM
why can't they make an air ride seat

i think i'm going to patent a seat that has magnets in it to create a suspention

FIRESCOOBY
07-07-2006, 05:43 PM
My Exmark dealer said thier cost was $410. So have you got two seats now or did you just upgrade at the Hustler dealer. $270 sound awfully cheap thru a dealer.

No just one seat. Left the other one at the dealer. Knew I would never use it, and didn't want it cluttering the basement. Same seat that comes on the Super Z's and Scags. Very much worth the price paid!!!

tacoma200
07-07-2006, 07:11 PM
No just one seat. Left the other one at the dealer. Knew I would never use it, and didn't want it cluttering the basement. Same seat that comes on the Super Z's and Scags. Very much worth the price paid!!!

Yes Exmark dealers will give you a trade in on your seat when you upgrade but if you buy it outright it cost more. This post is mainly for those that already have an Exmark, Scag, Hustler Etc and need a seat. Thanks.

TLS
07-07-2006, 10:34 PM

So, you traded it in then. Thats why it was so cheap.

Next time...keep the old seat and sell it on eBay.

I sold the original back breaker that came on my eXmark for more than my dealer wanted for a new one! That or they make a real nice shop stool seat!

TLS
07-07-2006, 10:35 PM
Also, I could have swore that the eXmark XS demo that I used had this seat, but DIDN'T have the adjustable lumbar in it.

Anyone able to comment on this?

FIRESCOOBY
07-08-2006, 01:11 AM
So, you traded it in then. Thats why it was so cheap.

Next time...keep the old seat and sell it on eBay.

I sold the original back breaker that came on my eXmark for more than my dealer wanted for a new one! That or they make a real nice shop stool seat!

Just to clarify, I didn't trade it. The price was for the seat straight up. I was given the old seat, but knew it would just sit in the basement and gave it back. My dealer is awesome and has DEFINATELY treated me right from the start.

Envy Lawn Service
07-08-2006, 01:20 AM
I just wish they would get it in the light grey at Northern.
I'm spoiled on the color now... LOL...

Cooler on the cheeks!

TLS
07-08-2006, 06:48 AM
Wow... $270 for this seat! Thats a steal! Maybe he made a mistake and only charged you for the std. seat? For that price, I'll buy another and keep it as a spare!

You could have gotten proably $150 for your old seat on eBay!

I just wish they would get it in the light grey at Northern.
I'm spoiled on the color now... LOL...

Cooler on the cheeks!

I didn't realize it was black. (I guess thats what it looks like) Light grey is the ONLY way to go.

tacoma200
07-08-2006, 08:34 AM
The one at Northern tool is darker grey from the pictures. I kinda like it but it wont match my tanks exactly. It should blend in good with the other colors (red , black, light grey and now darker grey. Michigan seat would not sell me one, they said I had to get it from the dealer and they offer the Exmark, Scag, imprint on them with matching colors. Not sure how to get one if they won't sell directly to comsumers. I take the grey one from Northern and hope it will be worth the price in confort. I can always remove it and put the Exmark seat back when it's time to trade or sell. Scag should do somthing about the nasty brown color on thier seats.