PDA

View Full Version : quick question

04TurfT
07-06-2006, 01:29 PM
Is it okay to run my shindy T230x without the little spark arrestor screen thing in the muffler? I thought I seen something on here before about taking it out? What does it do? I know mine is dirty, so that's why I wanted to know... Thanks alot.

04TurfT
07-06-2006, 06:18 PM
anyone know?

fly-4-fun
07-06-2006, 06:26 PM
It's suppose to catch any sparks going out the exhaust and prevent them from setting your grass on fire. Most people take them out when they get dirty because they keep your engine from exhausting the burned fuel. This will cut down on the power the engine produces.

lawnspecialties
07-06-2006, 06:35 PM
I take mine out as soon as I buy any two-stroke equipment.

dutch1
07-06-2006, 06:37 PM
The screen builds up with unburned oil, soon causing a blockage. The major problem is running the engine at less than full throttle. There was a time(and still possibly so) that EPA was fining dealers for removing the screen. Removing the screen also helps eliminate carbon buildup in the exhaust port.
Do as you want.

Dutch

FIXDISS
07-06-2006, 06:39 PM
anyone know?
From what I have read here that screen is called a spark arrester. It is supposed to do just as the title implies. It is also known to stop insects from building nests in your muffler during the off season. Over time with use this screen becomes clogged w/carbon deposits and limits the engines ability to vent the exhaust efficiently resulting in poor performance and less than full rpm. Most people say when it becomes clogged simply remove it and don't worry about it unless you think you may be held liable in the remote possibility that a tiny spark from the muffler could result in a fire.

04TurfT
07-06-2006, 07:29 PM
so is it going to **** anything up if I take it out? I looked at it and it is pretty black... Sometimes my weedeater acts like it don't wanna get up on full throttle, it's like it's slow. Yall think that's what this is? I ain't worried about anybody saying anything or it being illegaL or anything.... I been runnin the truck without cat converters for a while.... no probs

fly-4-fun
07-06-2006, 10:24 PM
I'd take it out and let er' rip !!

PowerEquipmentWarehouse
07-07-2006, 10:35 PM
Removing the spark arrestor will not do one bit of damage to the machine. It is illegal for a dealer to remove them, (though we'd sure love to....) they must either be replaced or cleaned. The only advantage to them (other than stopping potential sparks from hitting the ground..) is to keep mud wasps from getting inside you muffler and plugging it up really good. Also check your spark plug, if the arrestor was that plugged, you probably fouled the plug.....Mike

AAELI
07-08-2006, 04:23 AM
Ditto's what PEW said about no harm. However, it is a good indicator as to your operating habits, rpm. It will not cut down on eventual carbon formation at your exhaust port on the cylinder. It will allow you to operate at original peak rpm once again. If you run at low rpm's under load as you did to get it at this stage it will again carbon up, only this time at the cyl. exhaust port.

Even with the screen in place I routinely remove mud daubers nests from the black orifice. It does prevent them from making the nest further in.

Remove it and go slow no mo.