PDA

View Full Version : A not so uncommon complaint

DFW Area Landscaper
07-06-2006, 02:30 PM
From a customer's e-mail:

"I'm afraid I must again bring up the subject of your crew blowing grass under my doorways. I was home today while the lawn was being cut. During the blowing phase, rather than standing on the porch and blowing debris away, your crew member consistently blows the grass clippings up the sidewalk towards the house and blows the clippings onto my porch. It blows with such force that debris blows underneath the door. For round two, he stands in front of the porch, again blowing towards the door, blowing so hard it dislodges the doormat. He follows the same procedure in the back yard where my patio door enters the house."

The idea of the blower in the entry way is to use eddie currents to clean the debris off the porch. The porches in this area all pretty much the same...30" deep and only as wide as the front door. There is no way to stand in front of a closed door with a back pack blower and blow clippings that are behind your feet away from the house and out into the lawn.

So, how do other LawnSiter's handle this complaint? Is it a valid complaint? Would this client not have this complaint with any other LCO in the area?

Later,
DFW Area Landscaper

SWD
07-06-2006, 02:36 PM
First off, with the crappy home construction these days, this is a real concern.
I have trained my crews to idle the blower on the front/rear porch away from the door, then raise the rpms once they are pointed away from the door.
On some of the commercial properties maintained by my company, one can literally see daylight around the edges of the door.
In addition to idling the blower, I pointed out the poor sealing aspect of the doors and suggested on how or whom to call for a correction.
On the places that corrected the poor sealing, I had no additional complaints, even when the crews were blowing the clippings at w.o.t towards the repaired door.

128Steve
07-06-2006, 02:56 PM
As I am walking up to the door, about 10 feet away, I point the blower arm in the middle of the door. The air is forced up and down which clears about a three foot path immediately below the door leaving me enough room to go to the front door and turn around with the blower on my back.

In addition, since the force of air is pointed at the door, no debris is blown under the door into the home.

I then idle the blower, walk up to the door, turn around and point the blower arm down and start to work. Works for me.:dancing:

DFW Area Landscaper
07-06-2006, 02:58 PM
I probably need to show my crew what the blowers do to the inside of the house at my house when they check in this evening.

Lower RPM's in the door areas is probably the solution. I will also start recommending a contractor who makes these repairs. On my house, if the the wood door is closed and only the glass door is open, I get dust inside when they mow. If I close the wood door, I never have a problem.

Later,
DFW Area Landscaper

TriCountyLawn
07-06-2006, 03:19 PM
As I am walking up to the door, about 10 feet away, I point the blower arm in the middle of the door. The air is forced up and down which clears about a three foot path immediately below the door leaving me enough room to go to the front door and turn around with the blower on my back.

In addition, since the force of air is pointed at the door, no debris is blown under the door into the home.

I then idle the blower, walk up to the door, turn around and point the blower arm down and start to work. Works for me.:dancing:

Same here, Then usally I pop the tube off after the elbow while it is idled down and move the dribs further out then put the rest of the tube back on.

Howie's Lawn Care
07-06-2006, 05:05 PM

That's the same thing I do. Sometimes I get debris in the window seals when blowing along the sides of houses.

befnme
07-06-2006, 05:51 PM

me too . it works very well this way .and as you stated , clears a path from the door .

horticulturedawg
07-06-2006, 08:01 PM
I have also heard that complaint..I told the client we would do our best, but you probably need to fix your door. Be glad your guys are blowing off both porches.

Precision
07-06-2006, 08:50 PM

same thing here. Works well on garage doors too.

JJLandscapes
07-06-2006, 09:15 PM
you shouldnt be blowing towards the house... blow everything into bottom of driveway or curb and make a pile and clean up...

customers see it and it makes you look like u care and nothing goes into the doors or garages and it wastes maybe 30 seconds if half that

CutInEdge Lawn Care
07-06-2006, 09:17 PM

Same for us!! We use this method on garage doors also. If your employees have'nt figured this out for themselves it might be time to look for a few sharper tools. :hammerhead:

Runner
07-06-2006, 11:31 PM
Yep. Idle down, start at the door and work the hose at idle to clear the little bit of tight area, and go from there. The elbow endpiece (angled) really helps fpr this. You can keep the stuff directed where you want it to go with that. For the brainiacs that blow full blast (or close) up to the porch (or any other object like that) and know the stuff is going to flutter up, and they are going to have to wait for it to come back down (or worse yet, ignore it and walk away leaving a dirty surface when all is said and done), well, they hven't got their mind on their work! :)

Envy Lawn Service
07-07-2006, 12:51 AM
I dunno.... I guess I'm confused. Never had that complaint though.

I rarely ever side discharge, and I rarely ever get anything on anyones poarch or patio, atleast not all the way over at the door. I do blow the areas off, and for my good customers I blow these areas off even if not one piece of debris gets there because of me. I figure the women really appreciate not ever having to sweep the poarches/patios/decks.

Except for the recessed nook entries, I never need to blow towards the door. I start on one side or the other of the door and blow stuff away from the door, then off into whatever direction I want.

gqnine44
07-09-2006, 01:01 AM
We have a lady who pays us extra to use a shopvac on her sidewalk! We joke that she is going to make us plant trees with a spoon!

dcplace2004
07-09-2006, 01:51 AM
use physics and the air currents will work for you...I have done the same on garage doors and such and it just happens sometimes to get dirt under the doors...also, people appreciate when I blow their porches off...

sildoc
07-09-2006, 02:02 AM
We use the Stihl ultra BRoom... We sweep all 15000 sq ft of cement to keep this from happening. NAH. Idle it at the top of the lower sill and it will blow back the clippings to about a foot or more and you can then turn it around and send it back to the turf to decompose.

PTOhioMower
07-09-2006, 01:40 PM
We have a lady who pays us extra to use a shopvac on her sidewalk! We joke that she is going to make us plant trees with a spoon!

AND YOU DO IT??

That is insane!!

gqnine44
07-09-2006, 07:32 PM
AND YOU DO IT??

That is insane!!

I know it is insane. But, yes, we do it. We'll do whatever people want as long as they pay for it.

Idealtim
07-09-2006, 11:28 PM
For people like that, at all cost, DO NOT blow the clippings onto the sidewalk/porch with the mower in the first place.

K c m
07-09-2006, 11:47 PM
From a customer's e-mail:

"I'm afraid I must again bring up the subject of your crew blowing grass under my doorways. I was home today while the lawn was being cut. During the blowing phase, rather than standing on the porch and blowing debris away, your crew member consistently blows the grass clippings up the sidewalk towards the house and blows the clippings onto my porch. It blows with such force that debris blows underneath the door. For round two, he stands in front of the porch, again blowing towards the door, blowing so hard it dislodges the doormat. He follows the same procedure in the back yard where my patio door enters the house."

The idea of the blower in the entry way is to use eddie currents to clean the debris off the porch. The porches in this area all pretty much the same...30" deep and only as wide as the front door. There is no way to stand in front of a closed door with a back pack blower and blow clippings that are behind your feet away from the house and out into the lawn.

So, how do other LawnSiter's handle this complaint? Is it a valid complaint? Would this client not have this complaint with any other LCO in the area?

Later,
DFW Area Landscaper

:laugh: i was working at Hunting park and M street last yr. Its an apartment complex. Well its in a terrible neighborhood. Like the kind where you put all the locks back on after every visit to the trailer. WEll needless to say i did the same thing. And the door opens to black guys drinking 40's and rolling blunts. GUY yells at me and im like sorry sorry sorry sorry Ill broom itout. so i go in and broom everything out and get the FFFFFFF out of there. i was scared ****less but whatever. different response then what you got huh :laugh: