PDA

View Full Version : Gravelys Pro steer???

John Gamba
07-06-2006, 04:47 PM
Does anybody have this option on there Hydro walk?????Do you like it and how is it on hills:waving:

jtkplc
07-06-2006, 11:28 PM
I have the prosteer on my hydro 36" walk-behind. I don't have anythinig bad to say. The controls are ergonomic and comfortable.

I've put 100's of hours on Standers which are relatively the same controls. I have never used ESC or a T-bar or anything else like it to compare, but I know it's WAY better than pistol grips.

SSS 18734
07-07-2006, 12:34 AM
They are way better than pistol grips. I really liked the way the Pro Steer controls work.

John Gamba
07-07-2006, 07:13 AM
Thank You :waving: Anybody else:)

Dashunde
07-07-2006, 09:00 AM
Prosteer's are horrible on hills.
When you go down a hill there is nothing to hold yourself back with.
There is an adjustable bar to set max forward speed that you can push against, but it will always be too fast for going down a hill if it is set for correct flat-ground speed. It's not realistic to change the bar for every hill, and the release lever for that bar would stab me in the leg sometimes.
If you need to go around a tree or something while going down a hill it gets even more difficult.
Also, with the Prosteer, you can not "muscle" the wb at all - you cant lift the front, you cant push side-to-side or any of the other things you can do with a pistol machine.

My Prosteer seemed ok if I actually walked behind it, but it was intolerable with a velky and hills. I traded mine off for a pistol Gravely after 40 or so hours... I had enough.

John Gamba
07-07-2006, 09:06 AM
There is an adjustable bar to set max forward speed that you can push against, but it will always be too fast for going down a hill if it is set for correct flat-ground speed. It's not realistic to change the bar for every hill, and the release lever for that bar would stab me in the leg sometimes.
If you need to go around a tree or something while going down a hill it gets even more difficult.
Also, with the Prosteer, you can not "muscle" the wb at all - you cant lift the front, you cant push side-to-side or any of the other things you can do with a pistol machine.

My Prosteer seemed ok if I actually walked behind it, but it was intolerable with a velky and hills. I traded mine off for a pistol Gravely after 40 or so hours... I had enough.

By looking at it in pics only i can see your point. Not everything works for everbody.

Mowingman
07-07-2006, 11:45 AM
You can easily lift the front off the ground while operating the machine. There are a set of "Grips" below the handles that let you control speed and movement while pushing down to lift the front.

John Gamba
07-07-2006, 12:02 PM
Does anybody have a close up pic of the pro-steer. I'm hoping like the pic i have of the ECS.

jtkplc
07-07-2006, 06:22 PM
Not sure if these are the angles you want, but they are the best pics I have of mine that were already on my computer...:)

Dashunde
07-07-2006, 06:22 PM
You can easily lift the front off the ground while operating the machine. There are a set of "Grips" below the handles that let you control speed and movement while pushing down to lift the front.

Are you talking about the curved bar that goes around the rear of the control panel? If so, yea, you can get the front up a bit with that and one hand, but your still having to control the machine with one hand on two control levers... and you still cant get any leverage on it for other "maneuvers".

Oh... also, you cant pull up on the controls very well to keep the front end down when climbing a steep hill.

The Prosteer, although very cool in theory, isn't worth a hoot on a hill and anyone who has used one on a hill knows it, and if they don't know it they need to try the same model with pistols - they wont go back to the Prosteer.

The difference between a Prosteer and a pistol set-up is astounding when your doing the kind of work that a wb is intended for, hills, rough areas, etc.

Backing one up while on a velky is nightmarish also. I tried over and over and over to back it off the trailer but its just plain ornery in reverse.
I found backing off the trailer with a velky and pistols to be a controllable simple event.

I'm sorry if I offend, but I cant say enough bad about the Prosteer. As far as I'm concerned you might as well go with a Z if your considering the Prosteer - you'll have better control. I was ready to sell mine in the paper taking a huge hit because of its control issues, but Gravely is a fantastic company who came through for me and made a swap possible.

jtkplc
07-07-2006, 06:24 PM

Are you saying that you have no choice but to squeeze the levers all the way to the stop bar?

Lazer_Z
07-07-2006, 06:25 PM
jt, From what I see in you pics it seems that anyone that has run a full size or compact Z could transfer to using the "Pro Steer" controls easily correct?

Rob

jtkplc
07-07-2006, 06:31 PM
jt, From what I see in you pics it seems that anyone that has run a full size or compact Z could transfer to using the "Pro Steer" controls easily correct?

Rob

I would say it's a little different. But the principle is the same. It takes getting used to squeezing your hands to control the machine instead of moving your arms to control it. The learning curve is much shorter though, that's for sure, at least for me...

John Gamba
07-07-2006, 06:31 PM
Are you talking about the curved bar that goes around the rear of the control panel? If so, yea, you can get the front up a bit with that and one hand, but your still having to control the machine with one hand on two control levers... and you still cant get any leverage on it for other "maneuvers".

Oh... also, you cant pull up on the controls very well to keep the front end down when climbing a steep hill.

The Prosteer, although very cool in theory, isn't worth a hoot on a hill and anyone who has used one on a hill knows it, and if they don't know it they need to try the same model with pistols - they wont go back to the Prosteer.

The difference between a Prosteer and a pistol set-up is astounding when your doing the kind of work that a wb is intended for, hills, rough areas, etc.

Backing one up while on a velky is nightmarish also. I tried over and over and over to back it off the trailer but its just plain ornery in reverse.
I found backing off the trailer with a velky and pistols to be a controllable simple event.

I'm sorry if I offend, but I cant say enough bad about the Prosteer. As far as I'm concerned you might as well go with a Z if your considering the Prosteer - you'll have better control. I was ready to sell mine in the paper taking a huge hit because of its control issues, but Gravely is a fantastic company who came through for me and made a swap possible.

Gravely did buy one back because of the hill problems. I thought they may have made some improvements.

John Gamba
07-07-2006, 06:32 PM
Not sure if these are the angles you want, but they are the best pics I have of mine that were already on my computer...:)

Sweet!! Thank you:usflag:

jtkplc
07-07-2006, 06:34 PM

I use my Pro Steer on hills and I couldn't disagree more with what you're saying. It seems to me more like operator skill/experience than a less functional design...

Dashunde
07-07-2006, 07:31 PM
I use my Pro Steer on hills and I couldn't disagree more with what you're saying. It seems to me more like operator skill/experience than a less functional design...

Yours is a 36". Mine was a 48" floater with the same narrow drive-wheel track that yours has. It was too front-heavy and the narrow track didn't provide good leverage over that frontal weight - and without pistols to use for sheer muscle control it was a horribly behaving skid-happy beast that was downright dangerous on the typical hills of St. Louis County.
Additionally, your using a Proslide and step off for reversing and can do the same when the going gets rough or on hills.
With your set-up, it's a given that you'd have better control...

I basically have the same machine now, only with wider wheel/motor mounts, a fixed deck and pistol grips - it's stability, controllability, and ability to go just about anywhere is vastly superior on the same lawns and terrain to the Prosteer machine I had.

John Gamba
07-07-2006, 07:41 PM
Yours is a 36". Mine was a 48" floater with the same narrow drive-wheel track that yours has. It was too front-heavy and the narrow track didn't provide good leverage over that frontal weight - and without pistols to use for sheer muscle control it was a horribly behaving skid-happy beast that was downright dangerous on the typical hills of St. Louis County.
Additionally, your using a Proslide and step off for reversing and can do the same when the going gets rough or on hills.
With your set-up, it's a given that you'd have better control...

I basically have the same machine now, only with wider wheel/motor mounts, a fixed deck and pistol grips - it's stability, controllability, and ability to go just about anywhere is vastly superior on the same lawns and terrain to the Prosteer machine I had.

My mower is nose heavy, you will get a work out but i put the pro-slide on just for weight in the rear and it has improved.

What year mower do you have with the wider wheel trac??

Dashunde
07-07-2006, 07:45 PM
And John, if you really want a wb for serious hill work, look no further than here...
http://www.ferrisindustries.com/mw_dd.php
Notice the width of the drive tires on the second pic down.
Many people run them in St. Louis County where the hills are just brutal, I've seen them do unbelievable things on those hills pulling all while pulling a sulky.
I took one for a ride one day, they are super-smooth and without doubt the right choice for the area.
It will certainly be my next mower even though Gravely makes a very solid product and is an excellent company.

Dashunde
07-07-2006, 07:52 PM
My mower is nose heavy, you will get a work out but i put the pro-slide on just for weight in the rear and it has improved.

John, the wide one (my current) is an 2005.
My prosteer was an 04

The buy-back you mentioned above was probably mine.

Dashunde
07-07-2006, 08:09 PM
Are you saying that you have no choice but to squeeze the levers all the way to the stop bar?

sorry, I missed your comment, so to catch up...

No, you dont have to push them all the way forward, but over the course of a full day on our hills, no amount of finger contortions will prove comfortable for the duration of the day in this area.

Find a very steep hill and try it yourself, repeatedly over and over for a good part of your day. Then come back and tell me about your experiences and what hand configuration worked well for you while staying on your proslide. I doubt you'll find anything that pleases you for the whole day.
Also, your proslide creates a bit of drag unlike a sulky which just pushes harder down the hill.

John Gamba
07-07-2006, 08:16 PM
John, the wide one (my current) is an 2005.
My prosteer was an 04

The buy-back you mentioned above was probably mine.

I bet your amazed i knew about the buy back:weightlifter: Can you post a pic of the wide trac on your mower??

Dashunde
07-07-2006, 08:49 PM
I bet your amazed i knew about the buy back:weightlifter: Can you post a pic of the wide trac on your mower??

Naa, I mentioned it here, but I am surprised that you remembered.

It's not the greatest angle, but it's what I have on-hand.

SWD
07-07-2006, 09:34 PM
"The Prosteer, although very cool in theory, isn't worth a hoot on a hill and anyone who has used one on a hill knows it, and if they don't know it they need to try the same model with pistols - they wont go back to the Prosteer."

I find comments like this laughable at best. My eight employees, all unequivocally, prefer the pro-steer to the pistol grip machine. And they mow up to 50*sloped banks with these machines.
We have run pistol grips, then changed over to the pro-steer with a much better performance record - about 25% faster on the same terrain. The pro-steer is belt driven, pulls a single wheel velkie with guys weighing in over 200lbs, and runs in 100*+ for over six months out of the year.

Dashunde
07-07-2006, 09:46 PM
Oh comon... a belt machine is a totally different set-up with control pressure giving very different results.
And 50 deg slopes... with a belt machine??? (who else is thinking B.S.?)
They sure as he!! arent riding the sulky on those slopes, making the Prosteer a non-issue because they do behave much better when you walk behind them.

Regardless, I say that your taking a gamble on buying a Prosteer machine for a hilly area.
It didn't work for me in St. Louis where my pistol hydro has proven far better in all areas.
Few people will talk trash about their own mowers, I thought mine was cool too at first until I saw how inferior it was to other mowers in my area.

John Gamba
07-07-2006, 09:50 PM

I am 45 years old:confused: That looks just like my new mower. I'll have pics tomorrow.

John Gamba
07-07-2006, 09:51 PM
Oh comon... a belt machine is a totally different set-up with control pressure giving very different results.
And 50 deg slopes... with a belt machine??? (who else is thinking B.S.?)
They sure as he!! arent riding the sulky, making the Prosteer a non-issue because they do behave much better when you walk behind them.

Lets not get nuts on this. Play nice:)

ProStreetCamaro
07-07-2006, 10:11 PM

Ahhhh I see they finally fixed the light front end! We put a lead bar in that tube on the front of our PRO-50 because the nose was way to light and it would pop a wheelie every time you even looked at a hill.

John Gamba
07-08-2006, 07:42 AM
Ahhhh I see they finally fixed the light front end! We put a lead bar in that tube on the front of our PRO-50 because the nose was way to light and it would pop a wheelie every time you even looked at a hill.

Same here. It was a stamped deck now its fabricated.

TLS
07-08-2006, 08:29 AM

It's not the greatest angle, but it's what I have on-hand.

I like your OCDC....is it homemade or did you buy it?

John Gamba
07-08-2006, 08:52 AM
One thing i will say about the deck, It discharges nice:)

John Gamba
07-08-2006, 07:07 PM
So if i'm correct, the Pro-steer is good on the gear drive????? How do you stop the machine with the pro-steer????

Dashunde
07-08-2006, 10:08 PM
I like your OCDC....is it homemade or did you buy it?

I built it.
Look here...
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=148161

Dashunde
07-08-2006, 10:49 PM
So if i'm correct, the Pro-steer is good on the gear drive????? How do you stop the machine with the pro-steer????

John, I'm guessing that the geared Prosteer's use the Peerless five-speed gearbox and the controls work the belt tension as a clutch. I haven't yet figured out how the reverse part of it works, or even if pulling back on the controls will in fact, give you reverse, it might be just a brake - I dunno.

Your second question is a good one, and hits right on my biggest gripe.
With the hydro Prosteers you just return the levers to center and it stops, or pull back a little for braking or reverse - which is what I really didn't like about it. When your body is falling forward when going down hill you have to manage to pull back on those things at the same time... with nothing to push back upright on and trying to pull those levers back at the same time, it gets unwieldy at best.

On a side note...
Today I was mowing an area that was a short steep hill down to a fence, due to a few objects you cant run along the fence so the only option is to run it nose-first down to the fence. I was only able to do that because of pistolgrip controls. I pressed down with my arms bringing all of my 220lbs onto the rear tires for traction while hooking and lifting the Velkie with my toes - it backed right up and out of the hole several times.
I'll PayPal someone $20 if they can do the exact same thing (on video) with a Prosteer machine using only their arms.

John Gamba
07-09-2006, 07:13 AM
John, I'm guessing that the geared Prosteer's use the Peerless five-speed gearbox and the controls work the belt tension as a clutch. I haven't yet figured out how the reverse part of it works, or even if pulling back on the controls will in fact, give you reverse, it might be just a brake - I dunno.

Your second question is a good one, and hits right on my biggest gripe.
With the hydro Prosteers you just return the levers to center and it stops, or pull back a little for braking or reverse - which is what I really didn't like about it. When your body is falling forward when going down hill you have to manage to pull back on those things at the same time... with nothing to push back upright on and trying to pull those levers back at the same time, it gets unwieldy at best.

On a side note...
Today I was mowing an area that was a short steep hill down to a fence, due to a few objects you cant run along the fence so the only option is to run it nose-first down to the fence. I was only able to do that because of pistolgrip controls. I pressed down with my arms bringing all of my 220lbs onto the rear tires for traction while hooking and lifting the Velkie with my toes - it backed right up and out of the hole several times.
I'll PayPal someone $20 if they can do the exact same thing (on video) with a Prosteer machine using only their arms.
Thank you:)

John Gamba
07-09-2006, 08:13 AM
Can anyone post a pic of the gear drive pro-steer???