PDA

View Full Version : Walker Steering Levers

walker/redmax
07-06-2006, 11:27 PM
OK so yesterday I ran my 1996 Walker Mower for about 9hrs. and I started to get blisters on the palm of my left hand. About a year ago, I lent the mower to a friend for a week and he gives it back with the front maneuvering levers bent (how anybody could do that without trying is beyond me):dizzy: and now there is about a two inch gap between them. So I get back and I decided to replace them. I looked at it for a while and finally figured out how to get them off. I took the whole front end of the mower apart and got the levers off. Then I called my dealer to see if he has the new style levers that just make a standard "[]" shape and he told me that he could get them by tomorrow but that I was crazy for taking it apart like that. He said that they usually just cut the top half of the levers off and weld new ones on and that is alot easier. So I just wanted to see if anyone else has attempted that before and how it turned out.

walker/redmax
07-08-2006, 02:47 AM
Thanks for all the advice everybody!:laugh: I just finished it and (for those few of you who care) it was the biggest pain in the a$$! I don't recommend anybody try it themselves unless you are familiar with that part of a walker. The end product is really nice though.

AAELI
07-08-2006, 03:26 AM
Thanks for all the advice everybody!:laugh: I just finished it and (for those few of you who care) it was the biggest pain in the a$$! I don't recommend anybody try it themselves unless you are familiar with that part of a walker. The end product is really nice though.

Sorry I did not see your post earlier before leaving for work. :cry: I would have told you to take em off anyway. I do not cut/weld steering levers. I have replaced several. Were the L shaped brackets on the hydro's bent? How do you like the new style?

It sounds as though you got it covered, although it would have been nice to get some moral support. :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

walker/redmax
07-08-2006, 03:09 PM
I really like the new style much better. Now that I can tilt them back toward me, it is allot easier on my back since I don't have to lean forward at all when I am going full speed. The L brackets were not bent but what made it so much of a pain is that I had it all reassembled with the new levers on but when I pushed the FSC forward the levers would not go forward. Then, after I took it all apart again and reassembled it the wrong way, I discovered that the initial problem was that I had not connected the transmission control rod to the new levers.:cry: So I had to do it all over again! In all I disassembled and put it back together three times.:rolleyes:
Thanks!