PDA

View Full Version : Trimmer throttle

walker/redmax
07-06-2006, 10:35 PM
Hey what trimmers are you running at what throttle level? For normal grass I run my 25cc and 30cc Redmax trimmers at about 1/4 to 1/2 open and for thick grass, alfalfa and brush its wide open.:)

MMLawn
07-06-2006, 10:38 PM
trimmer engines are designed to and preform best being run wide open throttle

mike lane lawn care
07-07-2006, 12:05 AM
i usualy only run what is needed, but my trimmer has started to become a bit slugish. the echo GT-200R, i am running .105 line and it cuts well, but it just seems to me like it doesn't have the power it did last year when it was new.

ATVracer
07-07-2006, 09:34 AM

This is true, especially with 2 stroke engines.

walker/redmax
07-07-2006, 12:52 PM
I don't doubt that but when you are running full throttle it is really easy to put a whole in someones lawn. That is why I usually run 'em at less.

RobH
07-07-2006, 02:14 PM
I usually run my trimmer at about half throttle and then open it up if I need to. At full throttle it really throws stuff back at you and one little slip up and you can really do some damage to lawn, fence, siding or whatever you are trimming against.

In my experience, for most applications, half throttle will get you through the job at a very good speed with quality results.

Idealtim
07-07-2006, 02:16 PM
Half for regular, wide open for heavy stuff.

Damian
07-07-2006, 02:26 PM
Grass blades cut really easy at much less than full or half throttle, so when working around trees,fences,cars, etc., I use considerably less.

dfor
07-07-2006, 07:59 PM
Usually around 3/4 throttle. I have found that by not running at full throttle, I have to clean out the exhaust port more often. Then it's like a new trimmer again.

mcwlandscaping
07-07-2006, 08:04 PM
1/2 mostly, 3/4 if i wanna get things done faster.

AAELI
07-08-2006, 03:04 AM
Run it at whatever speed you want. Just remember that operating at less than 60% of your max/no-load rpm will contribute to your local dealer's repair shop/parts revenue!

These are air cooled engines that need the rpm elevated to provide sufficient air flow to keep them cool.. Clutches wear prematurely when the unit runs less than 60% under load. The clutch slips and wears quicker along with generating more heat that is transferred by metal to metal contact. Clutch drum bearings, crankshaft oil seals, brinneled(sp?) splines on shafts and overheated cylinders, alum. transfer from high heat from piston to cyl. wall.

If the load is light you can run slow, heavier cutting conditions require higher operating rpm's.

I repair more small engine equipment run at low speeds, mostly under load, than for any other reason. :weightlifter: