PDA

View Full Version : Who would ever admit?

Drafto
07-06-2006, 11:04 PM
Would anyone ever admit on here if Daddy's money started their hardscaping business? Who started theirs from the ground up? I am just asking b/c I am finding a lot of the larger companies in my area are mostly sons of fathers with very large construction companies. Sometimes it flat out makes me green.

Running a successful company is hard work no matter where the money came from so I am not trying to knock anyone. But I really just want to know who is the first in their family to have a business? How much does it mean to you if you are the first?

I am just up late doing some soul searching and I think that many people I have met on here (Lawnsite) I have much more in common with than just this site. I just find it bizarre that we are on here making contacts, asking advice, trying to meet up, doing business together, at all hours of the night. I have come to respect many on here and consider some to be friends I have never met, so maybe someone has had the same thoughts as me.

Maybe this thread was a waste of time and no need to respond if you don't know what this is about.

Dan

Dirty Water
07-06-2006, 11:47 PM
Dan,

I work for a company right now, and dream about getting started with my own company.

However, I have a family, and leaving the security of a steady paycheck scares me. However, when I finally do, without help from daddy (:laugh:) its going to be the best feeling in the world.

Green-Pro
07-07-2006, 12:31 AM
Dan

I rolled the dice, used my own money, left a secure job with a company I had been with for twenty-one years. Good company to work for as well.

That said even on its worst day, schedule problems, equipment problems, employee problems, customer problems, etc. I wouldn't trade it for any other job in the world. I like the challenges, solving the problems, working until the wee hours, being "Da Man".
Really most of all I love nurturing this business and the results of that through growth.

cedarcroft
07-07-2006, 05:41 AM
I started my business from scratch. I was on the verge of bankruptcy and was forced to sell my house. I took the little bit that was left after the sale of my house and with the support of my wife, started this business. I have 3 kids and a wife and I wouldn't change it for anything. I wish my dad had money, but they don't pay cops that well!!! I have borrowed money here and there to get through cashflow problems, but for the most part its been all me and my blood sweat and tears.

XXL Hardscaper
07-07-2006, 04:00 PM
Il admit......my daddy is loaded. I do this as a hobby. I still get an allowance each week from daddy.

DoetschOutdoor
07-07-2006, 04:20 PM
Ive gotten cashflow help from mom and dad and thanks to my mom working at the local bank, Ive had no problem getting several loans at 18 years old for mowers and other equipment. But for the most part, I have built up to 30accounts and am getting into landscaping and other areas. Crunch time will be in 2 years when I graduate college and decide whether to use a 100k college diploma to keep mowing or go another route...but I dont want to think about that just yet

mbella
07-07-2006, 04:56 PM
Would anyone ever admit on here if Daddy's money started their hardscaping business? Who started theirs from the ground up? I am just asking b/c I am finding a lot of the larger companies in my area are mostly sons of fathers with very large construction companies. Sometimes it flat out makes me green.

Running a successful company is hard work no matter where the money came from so I am not trying to knock anyone. But I really just want to know who is the first in their family to have a business? How much does it mean to you if you are the first?

I am just up late doing some soul searching and I think that many people I have met on here (Lawnsite) I have much more in common with than just this site. I just find it bizarre that we are on here making contacts, asking advice, trying to meet up, doing business together, at all hours of the night. I have come to respect many on here and consider some to be friends I have never met, so maybe someone has had the same thoughts as me.

Maybe this thread was a waste of time and no need to respond if you don't know what this is about.

Dan

Hi, my name is Mike and I am a loser too :cry: . Thanks for sharin Dan:laugh: .

ynvvbr
07-07-2006, 06:15 PM
LOL,

Dan I never thought i would say this but i am with Mbella on this one.... gee i guess you too. I am going to go drink now:(:cry:

Birdhunter1
07-07-2006, 06:37 PM
I don't see a thing wrong with someones dad helping them financially to start up a business, if the guy who is doing the work.. works, works hard, pays his bills, is fair to deal with and so on what does it matter if he did it himself or if his dad helped him with startup costs.

I know if I wanted to start a business my dad would do everything he could to help me make it succesful. Would I want my dad to pay for it? NO, but that is because I have a great job now and if I can't make it financially succesful on my own then I shouldn't be doing it in the first place.

Now look at it from this point of view: my dad is nearing retirement, he will still need a little money on the side to boost what his retirement will be. Is it wrong for a son to help his dad start a business? Chances are we will be in it together because we like working together but for those who think it's wrong for a dad to help out their son then it's wrong for a son to help out their dad. Most likely I'll be in it with my dad for him more than me, paying for my raising I guess.

mrusk
07-07-2006, 06:53 PM
I started my business at 18 with no help from anyone. 2 years later i am still at it. It is the hardest thing i have ever done. The worst thing to deal with is keeping the money rolling it. Since i am still new in the business, i spend a hell of alot of equipment. Its tough.

If i was offered $$ in the begining from my parents, i am not sure i would of taking it.

Matt

kootoomootoo
07-07-2006, 11:03 PM
I started with $5 and now have $6.

And a lot more grey hairs.*aussieflag*

6'7 330
07-07-2006, 11:12 PM
My dad was a auto worker,after I got out of the USMC his contribution was to get me a job for a short time at GM, while I simultaneously went to school and started in business, that was late 1980.Yes my dad helped me
immeasurably,the help just did not come in the form of loads of money.

cgland
07-08-2006, 09:22 AM
Dan - Put the gun down and come down off of that ledge! We have counselors that can help you! LOL! Dude - Are you hitting the sauce again?
Seriously, We had no help from anyone. I used my 401K money from a previous job to start up. It's been tough, but over the past 9 years I have cleared more that $26.00 in total profit.:cry: .................................................................................................... .....My mommy never loved meeeeeeee!!!!:cry: :cry: :cry:

Chris

SodKing
07-08-2006, 10:24 AM
I must be a loser too...

14 years ago my father invested in my idea for a landscape company. It was one of 6 companies he started and all are going strong today. We also had other loans and lines of cedit but it was Dad's investments and council that allow this company to be a viable corporation.

Drafto
07-08-2006, 09:36 PM
Dan - Put the gun down and come down off of that ledge! We have counselors that can help you! LOL! Dude - Are you hitting the sauce again?
Seriously, We had no help from anyone. I used my 401K money from a previous job to start up. It's been tough, but over the past 9 years I have cleared more that $26.00 in total profit.:cry: .................................................................................................... .....My mommy never loved meeeeeeee!!!!:cry: :cry: :cry:

Chris

Thats great Chris. Can we talk about 252B's now? I rented a brush mower for a day on a job a needed to do ASAP. What a machine? That is all I can say. I need to put some hours on this thing, I still have 3/4 tank of fuel left on the frist tank!

Dan

tthomass
07-08-2006, 11:17 PM
my Dad has a retail furniture business + the farm we grew up on got me involved in agriculture and i now have a landscape/hardscape business.......i call about business questions and keep him involved as i am 22 but i went out into a field after college as a laborer to a forman one shovel at a time until i knew how things were done, now here i am.........my Mom also has a business, catering..........but my business is all mine, with lots of their input

Mike33
07-08-2006, 11:54 PM
Yes i will admit my mother gave 5,000.00 when i started bobcat serice, I bought a brand new 753, trailer, 1 ton truck and rebuilt it, later put on a dump bed. Do the math there how 5k went but it sure was help ful. I started from scartch not a clue how to move dirt or the business end. 1 year later i was starting to figure things out because my auto body shop bus. was going down due to everyone thought i was going out of business for this new land scaping business, wife left and tried to take new company. It was a hell of a struggle but 10 years later now im sitting pretty good. I will never forget my mothers help but i also came in the hard way and worked my ass off. I still thank people i see that gave me that chance to work for them in the tender years.
Mike

AAELI
07-09-2006, 12:20 AM
If I had a dad to offer to finance or partner with I probably would have accepted the help. Only he died when I was 2. See my thread in off topic re: military accident report.

After 4 yrs. in the USMC I wanted to get away from some structured living for awhile. Farming, evening college classes, mid-day bussing tables in a chinese rest. and nite time radio announcer gave me desire to stay on my own. I worked a year as a subcontractor mowing for the company I now own. Owner wanted to retire at 62 so my wife and I bought the owners shares and took over the corporation. That was 24 years ago. Financial assistance came from banks & individual friends who wanted to see us succeed. We employeed 70 at our peak.

If your family wants to help you out then fine. If you start on your own also fine. It still ain't an easy road to travel. Just be glad you can work, eat and sleep. Some have trouble doing any of that.

Don't get on a pity pot party. Too many are already on it.

paponte
07-09-2006, 09:15 PM
Started from the ground up at the age of 14. Started out cutting lawns, and bought my first truck at the age of 15 before I could even drive the sucker legally. I used to have CB radios, and my mom would drop me off at a job, and I would call her on the CB when I was done.

I agree with you, and watch other larger companies as well. Just as you said they got it from daddy. All in all, someone somewhere down the line did ALOT of sacrificing. I just hope I am able to build this to where my children have something nice going for them. But just as I know, they will see the front lines so they know what it's like. :)

keepoffthegrass
07-11-2006, 10:53 PM
I have one hell of a great dad... he has givin me my first pushmower, let me finance my first riding mower through him... made me small loans for every other piece of equip... gave me full use of his 16' enclosed.. and to top that off when i got my license he now bikes to work 5 miles each way so i can use his 2001 crew cab HD 4x4 chevy for business use...

thinks thats nice...

i just crashed his truck and totaled the box and he let me use his truck the very next day for work. 2 days after that he moved my deadline from 2 weeks to fall to have a new box fixed .

I am stumped... i dont kknow how to express how appreciative i am. i will be installing a nice expensive water feature in our yard and doing some landscaping next week when hes gone camping.