PDA

View Full Version : Drainage Problem with Pics

Smithers
07-06-2006, 11:41 PM
Here is the deal: The client has a water retention problem. As you can see on the first picture, the guy has a river that runs at the edge of the yard. The area is appx 1 acre or so that is so wet that it can be cut only a few times a year. The grass looks like a bent grass, but as you walk, your shoes get wet and it is very spongy.

He wants to turn it into a golf coarse or at least one or two holes.

The question is: What kind of drainage system can be installed and most importantly, is it even possible?

If the answer is yes to the later question, throw a ball park figure please.

I dont do this type of work, but what kind of contractor do i have to call? An excavation company? A company that cures wet basement? I am totally lost on that one.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Smithers
07-06-2006, 11:42 PM
here is a picture as i was standing on the wet area.

Smithers
07-06-2006, 11:43 PM
here is one from the top of the slope.

tylermckee
07-06-2006, 11:49 PM
Cut in a french drain at the base of the slope, outfall to river.

Smithers
07-06-2006, 11:53 PM
Cut in a french drain at the base of the slope, outfall to river.
tyler, thanks for the reply, but the water is not coming from the slope. It's coming from the river.

The river is trying to cut through the flat portion since it "feels" that it does not have to make the extra bend. This will need multiple drains all over the place.

treedoc1
07-07-2006, 08:37 AM
why not just build an elevated green, add some simple traps on the shoulder.

Any french drains w/gravel will help channel the water into the woods closer to the river away from your green.. You can't just install perf black pipe and have it drain. Backhoe 18" wide and fill with 57's along with your wrapped perf pipe, fabric on top, then your last layer of soil for your turf.

Birdhunter1
07-07-2006, 06:44 PM
Not that it matter to me to much but drying that groudn out won't get you in trouble with the wetland bastards will it?
They can be mighty annoying when you get them all in a tussy!

Smithers
07-07-2006, 10:09 PM
Not that it matter to me to much but drying that groudn out won't get you in trouble with the wetland bastards will it?
They can be mighty annoying when you get them all in a tussy!
you are right. in fact, in that city you can't even touch anything green or dead. But they told them, do it without causing too much problem and you will be ok.

any one else with suggestions?

Birdhunter1
07-07-2006, 10:15 PM
Is the ground soggy all the time or just durig wet periods of the year or after moderate to heavy rains?

I had a few areas like that in my yard and while I thought of the french drain route I instead regraded half the yard and cut a ditch to drain the largest part of the run off from the house that otherwise would has sat their until it went into the ground. Now it drains off real easily and the yard doesn't get soggy like it used to.

Smithers
07-07-2006, 10:23 PM
Is the ground soggy all the time or just durig wet periods of the year or after moderate to heavy rains?

I had a few areas like that in my yard and while I thought of the french drain route I instead regraded half the yard and cut a ditch to drain the largest part of the run off from the house that otherwise would has sat their until it went into the ground. Now it drains off real easily and the yard doesn't get soggy like it used to.
i think it's wet all the time. i am afraid to even think if there is an underground water that comes from the river bed. the guy said that when the river comes hard, it comes up to the slope...the whole flat portion is under water. he even has two catch basins that i dont even know how they work.

I wll be maintaining his yard and just need to find someone to do it.

DreamscapeDesigns
07-07-2006, 10:52 PM
Call a large reputable landscape contractor, or an excavation comapny. MAke sure they are fammiliar with working around wetlands, waters of the state.. We deal with this type of problem here in GA, in house three or four times a year. I would be happy give some structural layouts and engineering specs for getting that water moved where you want it to go. You are going to have to haul in some fill, but for the most part this should be a fairly easy fix. I think a mini course for this are is a great idea.. You can even put in some small self maintained water hazzards. If you would like to work on this let me know..

tylermckee
07-08-2006, 03:30 AM
Yeah, i would say if the river is actually coming up and flooding the area fixing the prolem is going to take a little more than some drainage work.

Smithers
07-10-2006, 07:18 PM
Call a large reputable landscape contractor, or an excavation comapny. MAke sure they are fammiliar with working around wetlands, waters of the state.. We deal with this type of problem here in GA, in house three or four times a year. I would be happy give some structural layouts and engineering specs for getting that water moved where you want it to go. You are going to have to haul in some fill, but for the most part this should be a fairly easy fix. I think a mini course for this are is a great idea.. You can even put in some small self maintained water hazzards. If you would like to work on this let me know..
jacob,

how can i work with you on this? the client wants to first do a "Test" area to see if it will even work. When he has a proof, he wants to do the whole thing.

Smithers
07-17-2006, 10:59 AM
any other ideas or suggestions?