PDA

View Full Version : Kawasaki 19hp SAE30 or 10w-30

DJL50
07-07-2006, 02:37 AM
First off I am not interested in synthetic oil.

I asked my dealer what oil to use and he said. 10w-30. Went around back and asked another guy and he said SAE 30.

This is for home use. What do you use?

04TurfT
07-07-2006, 10:09 AM
I've ALWAYS heard to use SAE 30.... That's all I've been using for years, no probs....

DJL50
07-07-2006, 10:45 AM
I did a little research last night. Looks like the 10w30 is best if you run the unit below 32 degrees. Also said you may burn a little more oil using the 10w30. So it sounds like SAE 30 is the way to go. Am I right????

Rev. Crabgrass
07-07-2006, 10:52 AM
I did a little research last night. Looks like the 10w30 is best if you run the unit below 32 degrees. Also said you may burn a little more oil using the 10w30. So it sounds like SAE 30 is the way to go. Am I right????

You are correct. Always use SAE 30 in air cooled engines.

REV.

Restrorob
07-07-2006, 07:33 PM
You are correct. Always use SAE 30 in air cooled engines.

REV.

The use of SAE 30 in Kohler Command engines is a :nono:

Below is the oil recommendation chart from Kawasaki.

Palmer'sLS
07-07-2006, 10:30 PM
hey rob..did you go from 14 to 15yr m.t. for briggs lately....i remember it bein 14....way to go, and thanks for all the good advice:clapping: :clapping:

Restrorob
07-07-2006, 10:51 PM
hey rob..did you go from 14 to 15yr m.t. for briggs lately....i remember it bein 14....

Yeah, The first of this month was my anniversary so I updated my sign. line. :weightlifter:

04TurfT
07-07-2006, 11:38 PM
I have noticed a lot that that ole boy knows his ****... how ever many years mechanic he is... he knows alot of stuff.... he always chimes in and helps... keep it up man

n4wv
07-08-2006, 12:43 AM
Hey guys, this is my first time posting. I too have a Kawasaki engine in a JD LX280 mower and the JD manual only specifies 10w30 or 10w40 oils. I called a couple JD dealers and depending on who you talk to its either 10w30 or 30 wt.
My mower is new with only 5 hrs on it and I just changed the oil and filter and put in Havoline API SM 10w30. I have a friend with a JD LX176 14 hp Kawasaki and he said he's always run Castrol 10w30 and it doesn't use any oil at all. I do plan on changing the oil/filter again around 25-30 hrs. Should I go with the heavier 30wt oil or what John Deere recommends?

PS: I bought the technical manual and it does list SAE 30 in there, but its not even mentioned in the owners manual which I find odd.

DJL50
07-08-2006, 12:52 AM
The use of SAE 30 in Kohler Command engines is a :nono:

Below is the oil recommendation chart from Kawasaki.

Thanks!

So Rob, What would "YOU" use? SAE 30 or 10w-30

Jim@MilkyWay
07-08-2006, 03:11 AM
I have noticed a lot that that ole boy knows his ****... how ever many years mechanic he is... he knows alot of stuff.... he always chimes in and helps... keep it up man

Hey guys, just got in from my other job and decided to take a quick peek while I unwind a little.
Not _only_ does Restrorob know the answers to most questions off the top of his head, he can immediately send cross references to back up what he says. He also is a totally dedicated and patient man to the _extreme_. (I think he is about as old as Moses, otherwise he would YELL to heavens " ...F-T-F-T...!!!!! " (Fourth Thread From Top) while blue smoke explodes out his ears like twin smoke bombs. Here's to you, Sir. :drinkup:

Jim@MilkyWay
07-08-2006, 03:47 AM
First off I am not interested in synthetic oil....

That is an interesting comment. Care to comment on why.
Also, I sure am proud no one axed me what I use in my engines, regardless of what the engine is in. I would hate to learn that they are doomed from my very first oil AND filter change.

TLS
07-08-2006, 07:58 AM
In a Kawi (solid lifters) it's not necessary to use multi-grade oil as it is in a Kohler.

If you live in a colder climate and find yourself starting your mower under say 40 degrees, then for that time period you should use a 10W-30.

But for the average joe, 30wt oil is probably the better choice.

Personally, my 14hp Kawi has only had 30wt oil in it a couple times. It gets 10W-30 Mobil-1 like the other equipment.

Restrorob
07-08-2006, 08:17 AM
Should I go with the heavier 30wt oil or what John Deere recommends? .

I would run what the engine manufacturer recommends, Either is fine but if you look at the chart I posted it states 10w30 could burn quicker and oil should be checked more often.

Thanks!

So Rob, What would "YOU" use? SAE 30 or 10w-30

I use 30w in all, With the exception of getting close to winter time [cool weather] I will use 10w30 in the larger rope start engines only for easier starting.

DJL50
07-08-2006, 11:03 AM
That is an interesting comment. Care to comment on why.
Also, I sure am proud no one axed me what I use in my engines, regardless of what the engine is in. I would hate to learn that they are doomed from my very first oil AND filter change.

Sure!

I change my oil very, very often. So I feel the extra expense in not warranted. I have a Kaw 17hp that is 20 years old and NEVER once has it needed service for anything. Just oil ,plug and filters. I know I do not need to change the oil that much but it is so inexpensive to do, why not.

Jim@MilkyWay
07-09-2006, 01:23 AM
.... I feel the extra expense in not warranted....
Yea that's a good point. I _did_ notice, the last time I was in WalMart, and my oil & filter tally was $150, that they are not giving away the synthetics. I nearly puke :dizzy: every time I take my 5gals of used oil to re-cycler, as I realize that about half of each haul is synthetic. And there she goes,,,right down the drain!
So I take it that you don't find a ominous disaster in the works with the synthetics? Do you feel the synthetics provide superior lubrication, and do you think oil break-down is more a function of time than anything else?

DJL50
07-09-2006, 01:40 AM
Yea that's a good point. I _did_ notice, the last time I was in WalMart, and my oil & filter tally was $150, that they are not giving away the synthetics. I nearly puke :dizzy: every time I take my 5gals of used oil to re-cycler, as I realize that about half of each haul is synthetic. And there she goes,,,right down the drain!
So I take it that you don't find a ominous disaster in the works with the synthetics? Do you feel the synthetics provide superior lubrication, and do you think oil break-down is more a function of time than anything else?

From what I have read people have had good luck with synthetics. I am just going to stick what has worked very well for me in the last 20 years.
I have a Mustang that I don't drive very often in the winter time if at all. Here in Cincinnati we have a radio talk show each Saturday on car care, The guy who host the show suggests for a car that is being stored for the winter to change the oil before storage (junk in the old oil can cause problems just sitting in there) So I guess I am just going by what he said about that subject.
A few years back I read a study on motor oils. It did say that there was a difference in major brands of oil but that difference only showed after 8,000 miles. So If you change after 3,000 miles there is no difference. Just pick your brand. My self I have always used Valoline. No reason I guess other than that is what my dad used when I was a kid.

n4wv
07-09-2006, 09:14 PM
Is there any difference between HD 30 oils like the one Castrol carries or a straight SAE 30 wt oil that doesn't actually state HD on the bottle? Havoline for instance, doesn't label their 30 wt as HD oil. Also, is there a reason to stay away from "energy conserving" oil? I have read on www.bobistheoilguy.com web site that the newer passenger car oils have less zinc and phosphorus (cleaning agents) chemicals in order to preserve the catalytic coverters and get a little better gas mileage.

twwlawn
07-10-2006, 12:49 AM
I have been using Amsoil synthetics in every engine and here is the one I use in air cooled engines.
http://www.amsoil.com/StoreFront/ase.aspx

Jim@MilkyWay
07-10-2006, 01:16 AM
Is there any difference between HD 30 oils like the one Castrol carries or a straight SAE 30 wt oil that doesn't actually state HD on the bottle?....
If I am mistaken, then "A-SQUEEZE ME!", but, I think HD means High Detergent".

I'll tell you one I would like a little info on. That is Castrol synthetic blend.
How does Castrol Sytech Blend get away with _not_ disclosing, on the bottle, what the ratio is on their blended oil. I blend my own (full synthetic/petroleum based), and every other blended oil I have ever checked has the ratio stated on the bottle. They could put in 1/29th of 1% full synthetic and still call it "blended" if they wanted.

n4wv
07-10-2006, 11:01 AM
If I am mistaken, then "A-SQUEEZE ME!", but, I think HD means High Detergent".

I'll tell you one I would like a little info on. That is Castrol synthetic blend.
How does Castrol Sytech Blend get away with _not_ disclosing, on the bottle, what the ratio is on their blended oil. I blend my own (full synthetic/petroleum based), and every other blended oil I have ever checked has the ratio stated on the bottle. They could put in 1/29th of 1% full synthetic and still call it "blended" if they wanted.

I believe HD stands for Heavy Duty and not High Detergent oils. Here's a link to Pennzoil's web site that specifically talks about their Heavy Duty oils. http://www.pennzoil.com/products/motor_oil/hd_oil.html

I have noticed that Castrol doesn't disclose too much information on their oils.

n4wv
07-15-2006, 08:54 PM
Has anyone tried the heavy duty diesel oil like Chevron DELO 15w40 or Shell Rotella? I see Kawasaki spec's SAE 30, 40, 10w30/10w40. The diesel oils have more additives and have to meet tougher standards. Looking Chevron's DELO it states that it meet API SG. Looks like 15w40 would be a good multigrade to use but Kawasaki and many other small engine manufacturers don't list it. Any comments?

TLS
07-15-2006, 10:23 PM
Maybe in the heat of the summer (90+ degree days), and on a high hour machine (looser clearances), but on a fresh engine, I'd be a little leary of the heavier weight.

n4wv
07-15-2006, 11:46 PM
Maybe in the heat of the summer (90+ degree days), and on a high hour machine (looser clearances), but on a fresh engine, I'd be a little leary of the heavier weight.

TLS, thanks for the comment. You have a good point. I changed the oil again this weekend and put in John Deere's Turf-Gard 10w30. I would like to stay with 10w30 because thats what I run in my cars, but will watch the oil level to see if its using any. I'll switch to SAE 30 if it starts using oil.

ITL
07-19-2006, 12:02 AM
N4NW

We use Chevron Delo 400 15W-40 CI-4 HD Diesel oil in most of our air cooled engines including our 23HP Kawasaki. The 23 Kawasaki engine is at around 150 hours now. We normally change oil from 25 to 40 hours. Filter each fourth oil change. No consumption and oil stays clean. My take is that the 15W-40 acts like a 15 weight for the cold starts and at higher temperatures like a 40 weight. Thus lighter than recommended straight 30 weight and same as 10w-40 at high temp. We have the 90 degree turn quick change oil plug with a hose that we drain directly into old gallon oil container. Takes five minutes at end of week. No mess. I like 10W-30 Mobil 1 Synthetic but do not feel it is worth two time the price with our short oil change interval. The synthetic oil still has to be drained to remove the dirt and combustion blow y products.