PDA

View Full Version : International 4300 $$$ ?

Marek
07-07-2006, 07:15 AM
Looked at a new 4300 extended cab yesterday with the DT 466 @210 and the 2200 Allison trans the cab and chassis were 51,000 how does this price compare to what you guys are seeing? First part of next week I'm going to look at the frieghtliner,is there any other trucks that I should look at?

jazak
07-07-2006, 08:54 AM
Thats seem like a decent price. I've seen then online for like $54K. Other truck you should look at would be Peterbilt (not as expensive as you might think) and Kenworth. I'll call my dealer later on and see what he's asking for that truck and give you a price from around here.

Gravel Rat
07-07-2006, 10:02 PM
You can also look at Sterling or Hino I would shy away from the Freightliners yes the Sterlings are made by Freightliner but the quality is a little better.

You can look at the Paccar trucks they are a little more pricey the problem with the Kenworth and Pete is the engine choices in the med duty trucks. The C7 Cat isn't that great and the ISB Cummins is way too small. I don't know if they offer the ISC Cummins.

SLSNursery
07-09-2006, 09:31 AM
We are working on getting another roll-off set up on a Medium Chassis Peterbilt. The model is 335 and I'm pretty sure whether manual or automatic the Cummins is an ISC, because the hp range was between 315 and 330. I know that it is a sleeved engine, as compared to the Cat, so this was pleasing. Between all of our equipment we have 8 B-series Cummins and 1 C12 Cat. The B-series have proven to be pretty reliable. I don't have enough time on the Cat to know, but have had one minor injector problem already. The smaller Cats are called throw aways for a reason. Anyone I know who runs them keeps spares on the shelf at 5-7k per block. My International has a 466E, and needed an inframe rebuild with less than 100,000 miles on it! That was painful, because it runs better, but still has no power.

With a Cummins ISC engine in the 300hp range, compared to what might be standard in a smaller International (4300), or even a smaller Peterbilt fot that matter, you wind up with a bigger transmission that matches up with the torque of the motor. I think we were looking at a model 3000 Allison. I'm pretty positive that these options would shoot the price up. For the 335 Peterbilt model setup as a cab and chassis, we were in the low 60s for a manual 8LL and the middle to upper 60s with an automatic.

So, to answer your question, Marek, the price seems pretty comparable. We were looking at a slightly heavier truck (no extended cab), double frame, heavier components, and only 15% higher cost.

I think that you might be disappointed with the smaller motor, Allison combo in the long run. You'll end up with a truck that is only a slight step up from a 550. A little bit more money, or just tweaking your specs might get you a beefier vehicle.

J&R Landscaping
07-09-2006, 07:18 PM
You can also look at Sterling or Hino I would shy away from the Freightliners yes the Sterlings are made by Freightliner but the quality is a little better.

You can look at the Paccar trucks they are a little more pricey the problem with the Kenworth and Pete is the engine choices in the med duty trucks. The C7 Cat isn't that great and the ISB Cummins is way too small. I don't know if they offer the ISC Cummins.

I would disagree with that about the freighliners. The paving company my dad works for has 2 FL70 dump trucks both with CAT power under the hood.

Also, etw, a member on Lawnsite is running a few freightliners in his fleet. You may want to send him a PM if you want to know anything specific but from what I remeber, he seems happy with there performance!

Sterling does make a nice truck though!

Gravel Rat
07-10-2006, 01:50 AM
Everybody I know that has a Freighliner FL series hates it because they rattle and squeek the cabs are poorly built. You get what you pay for the FL series are budget class trucks.

I wouldn't have a automatic in a medium duty truck they rob too much power and burn up your brakes then when the auto takes a dump and needs repairs hello big dollars.

Scag48
07-10-2006, 01:58 AM
Buy a manual in a medium duty truck. I have an F450 and hate having an auto.

FANS
07-10-2006, 12:59 PM
the Ford F450 transmission and the ones in other medium trucks. The Allison and ZF automatics (in the Freightliner sourced trucks I believe) are much different. Notice I didn't say "much better", just different. Depending on the use I'd probably have to agree that the manual would be preferable, but then my arm gets tired after about 10 miles in the city with all the traffic we have around here.