PDA

View Full Version : New trimmer

SSS 18734
07-07-2006, 04:45 PM
I need a new trimmer for around $200. I would be willing to spend more if it came with an edging attachment, however. I mow 14 yards weekly, most with no more than 10 minutes of trimming per yard. So it won't be used more than 2 hours or so per week.

What would be a good medium-duty trimmer that will last me several years under this kind of load? Preferabally straight-shaft, because trying to edge with my curved shaft Craftsman just isn't working very well.

I was looking at the Echo SRM-210, which is priced at $200 and there is a dealer within two miles of me. Would this be a good unit for my operation or is there something better?

Lazer_Z
07-07-2006, 04:51 PM
Find your nearest Stihl dealer and price out an FS90 R. My dealer carries them for $299.95 and he told me that he has sold a ton of them and that the guys buying them are very happy and yes it has a solid drive shaft. Stay far, far away from that Echo it's a home owner model.

Good luck

Rob

SSS 18734
07-07-2006, 05:08 PM
Stay far, far away from that Echo it's a home owner model.

The Craftsman I've been using was used as a homeowner model for about 6 years, two years with 6 or so regular jobs, and half of a season with 13 weekly. And it's still running, I just have trouble starting it occasionally. It's just a pain in the ass to trim with because of the curved shaft.

Wouldnt even a well-built homeowner model serve my purpose for the next 2 seasons or so? It will only see maybe 2 hours of use a week. I'd rather not spend $300 on a trimmer right now.

Lazer_Z
07-07-2006, 05:31 PM
I guess it would but than what happens when it craps out on you after those 2 seasons. I personally would rather buy quality equipment that is built to last. If your dead set on echo you could check out the SRM-230 it is a mid range trimmer but, be careful I had issues with the one I had where the engine would get really hot and I also had paint peel off of the engine.

Rob

Kubotaman
07-15-2006, 12:06 AM
The 210 Echo will work fine for what you are doing. Home Depot sell the Echo
you would be better off with the 230 in heaver trimming. If you buy it on a
Home Depot credit card you can get 6mos no pmt or intrest. That may help
you step up to the 230

Hope this helps you.

Mrk'sLawn
07-15-2006, 06:32 AM
I need a new trimmer for around $200. I would be willing to spend more if it came with an edging attachment, however. I mow 14 yards weekly, most with no more than 10 minutes of trimming per yard. So it won't be used more than 2 hours or so per week.

What would be a good medium-duty trimmer that will last me several years under this kind of load? Preferabally straight-shaft, because trying to edge with my curved shaft Craftsman just isn't working very well.

I was looking at the Echo SRM-210, which is priced at $200 and there is a dealer within two miles of me. Would this be a good unit for my operation or is there something better?

I use the 210 and really like it. If your doing smaller residential properties it works just fine. Mine starts with not much effort (2-3 pulls) max. Plus it's very light. For the $200 it costs it's well worth the money.. imho..

Gbug
07-15-2006, 08:22 AM
Check out the Husqvarna for $199 or so, I think its a 123L, I used this before I stepped up to a Stihl FS80R(which BTW is great). I did about 8 yds a week, and the Husqvarna worked well for me.

DylanK
07-18-2006, 08:25 AM
i have the 125L i got at Lowes for $199 and i hate it... the shaft is not as long as its commercial big brothers so the angle is really wierd, causing the line to get caught on the ground sometimes if yoiu dont hold it right... alsi, if you get it you may want a new head, i dont like the one it comes with... just my $.02