PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Brake Question.

FearThisDeere
07-07-2006, 05:18 PM
I bought a used 21 ft. car trailer the other day in CT. and towed it home. There are brakes on both Dexter axles. The truck I towed it home with does not have a brake controller, but I of course I plugged in the 7 round connector for the lights. About 30 miles into my trip there was a rest area and as normal when I pull a trailer, I pull over and just check everything out. The first thing that I noticed was that there was smoke coming from my front right wheel. I leaned in and you could smell the brakes. I felt the other three wheels and they felt warm as well. So, at this point I was a little worried. I unplugged the trailer, backed it up and put the truck in neutral. The trailer did not stop the truck, so the brakes were probably not on. I drove for another few miles and checked the wheels and they were cooler. By the time I got home they were back to normal. So, what it the world happened? The only thing that I could thinm of was that when I picked up the trailer, the light plug was corroded, so the owner had filed it down. Could that have caused a problem? Does it need to be filed down more? Would corrosion cause a short circut like this. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

grass_cuttin_fool
07-07-2006, 08:43 PM
Some times corrosion will let current jump or arc to another circuit if they are close. I would take the plug off and maybe relace it, once they start to corrode up, it's hard to stop it. I worked as a truck mechanic and we ran the north east, we kept CRC spray handy all the time and would keep the plugs lubed all the time but with all the salt and sand from the winters they would still corrode up. You may have it .........but I have a link to a neet website that has the 6 and 7 way wiring diagrams and also the 4 way. well heck i will post the site for anyone that may need or want to save it to your favorites, the 7 way plug is at the bottum of the page

http://www.marksrv.com/6way.htm

wayne

FearThisDeere
07-08-2006, 10:06 AM
Thanks Wayne. I actually used that site to help me wire a couple of trailers. Anyone else have any ideas?

BSDeality
07-08-2006, 10:31 AM
the problem with 6/7 plugs is they are not standardized. When I last rented an equipment trailer I picked up a 6 to 7 way adapter for my truck. The trailer came with center pin electric brake, and my truck has center pin aux. When we hooked it up the brakes were coming on without touching the brakes because of this. The adapter was reconfigurable, but still was a pain that I had to change it.

FearThisDeere
07-08-2006, 07:13 PM
OK, I kind of get what you are saying, but I did not have an adapter. The trailer plug went straight into the stock truck plug. Would that make a difference?

out4now
07-08-2006, 07:27 PM
I bought a used 21 ft. car trailer the other day in CT. and towed it home. There are brakes on both Dexter axles. The truck I towed it home with does not have a brake controller, but I of course I plugged in the 7 round connector for the lights. About 30 miles into my trip there was a rest area and as normal when I pull a trailer, I pull over and just check everything out. The first thing that I noticed was that there was smoke coming from my front right wheel. I leaned in and you could smell the brakes. I felt the other three wheels and they felt warm as well. So, at this point I was a little worried. I unplugged the trailer, backed it up and put the truck in neutral. The trailer did not stop the truck, so the brakes were probably not on. I drove for another few miles and checked the wheels and they were cooler. By the time I got home they were back to normal. So, what it the world happened? The only thing that I could thinm of was that when I picked up the trailer, the light plug was corroded, so the owner had filed it down. Could that have caused a problem? Does it need to be filed down more? Would corrosion cause a short circut like this. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

I'll ask around at work, we sell Dexter Axles and Brake controllers. See if anyone knows. Most likely it was a short circuit by what I've read so far but that is without seeing it.

xcopterdoc
07-08-2006, 07:34 PM
Even if you run without an adapter, there are still two ways to wire a 7 way plug. Center as the AUX or center as the brake. Depends on how the truck and the trailer are wired. Years ago DOT stepped in and standardized all the over the road trucks and trailers as far as wiring went. All plugs, wire colors ect are standardized. Not so with privately owned trailers.

FearThisDeere
07-22-2006, 10:14 AM
So here is a dumb question: Is there a way to pull the center pin out of the current setup and replace it with a newer one or do I have to rewire the whole plug??

oldrustycars
07-22-2006, 10:22 AM
there is a standard to how these plugs should be wired, but nothing is stopping someone from wiring it however they want. the blue terminal should be for trailer brakes. someone could have put the brake wire in the trailer plug to, for example, the left turn terminal. then every time you put the turn signal on in the truck, the trailer brakes would apply, and go on and off with the signal. also, the inside of the plug could be a mess, with corrosion causing loose wires to contact other terminals.

BSDeality
07-22-2006, 10:23 AM
its easy enough to take the plug apart, usually only one screw. you just have to reverse the aux and electric brake wires

FearThisDeere
07-22-2006, 05:55 PM
Great. I'll give it a look tomorrow or Monday. I haven't had anytime to take a look at it yet!

muddstopper
07-22-2006, 09:35 PM
When and if you buy an adapter, read the papers that come with it. It will state something along the lines that there are two standards for wiring a trailer. It even tells you which two wires to change inside the adapter if the brakes are not working properly. I know you said your trailer was plugged in without an adapter, but if there are two standards, your truck and trailer might be wired differently. At least that sounds like it is your problem. I ran into the same thing a couple of months ago when i bought a 28 ft goose neck. All my other trailers worked fine with my trucks, but that goose neck was wired different and the brakes would lockup when I plugged it in.

FearThisDeere
07-23-2006, 02:39 PM
So did you just wire in a new plug on the trailer or...?

muddstopper
07-23-2006, 07:00 PM
Just switched the aux and the brake wires and everything worked fine. Brake wire is blue, I forget the color of the aux wire.

FearThisDeere
07-24-2006, 10:34 AM
Great, I'll try to work on that soon. Thanks!

FearThisDeere
07-24-2006, 05:24 PM
I took a look at the plug today and there are two screws. A small one and a larger one. Neither of them open the plug on the trailer nor does it look like the plug opens.:hammerhead:

BSDeality
07-25-2006, 12:48 AM
can you take a picture? I know the plug assembly is pretty tight on my 7way plug and its difficult to open the plug.

FearThisDeere
07-25-2006, 10:57 AM
Sure can. I'll try to take one later this afternoon if I remember.

FearThisDeere
07-26-2006, 10:17 AM
I forgot the pic. I'll take one this afternoon. It looks like your standard plug. I looked at one in Walmart yesterday and they look pretty similar. That one opened, so I would think that mine should lol!

notoriousDUG
07-26-2006, 10:45 AM
It opens, remove the small screw near the end, that holds it together. Then remove the larger one at the base, that is the strain relief for the wires.

There are 2 'standards' for trailer plug wiring however people do all kinds of crzy things with them.

When you pluged in your trailer did the controler recognize you had a trailer on?

You probably had 12V to the brakes all the time. If the brakes where not locking up or noticeable slowing you down then the brakes are either worn out or not well adjusted.

FearThisDeere
07-27-2006, 07:39 PM
I didn't have a brake controller in the truck that I was towing it with. The brakes were smoking and probably did slow me down a bit, but luckily I noticed it after a few miles, so hopefully not too much damage was done to the brakes.

FearThisDeere
07-30-2006, 01:22 PM
I unscrewed both of the screws and the plug still would not opem. It wouldn't even budge. So, I am at a complete loss on this one. Are there some that just don't open?

notoriousDUG
07-31-2006, 08:48 AM
I unscrewed both of the screws and the plug still would not opem. It wouldn't even budge. So, I am at a complete loss on this one. Are there some that just don't open?

there are some that do nto open but they do not have screws in them.

Stick a long screw driver in the back next to the wires and push on it. There is a good chance it is all corroded inside causign it to stick. That could also be the source of your brake issue.

FearThisDeere
07-31-2006, 01:54 PM
I finally got it open today. There was no aux. wire, so I switched the blue brake wire with the open slot. I'll see how it works next time I use the trailer. It was pretty corroded in the plug, so would it be worth it just to replace the plug? I had no idea that it would be that easy to replace it.

notoriousDUG
07-31-2006, 10:34 PM
It is worth it and it is easy.

You are aware that with no controler you have no trailer brakes right?

Dano50
08-01-2006, 11:17 AM
Try using Fluid Film (http://www.eurekafluidfilm.com) when you replace the plug. It will keep it from corroding. Check out these test results (http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=147337) which were done by an outside, independent laboratory. Nothing is going to protect longer.

FearThisDeere
08-01-2006, 05:38 PM
I went and bought another plug today and will install it tomorrow in the shade. I know that w/o the controller I have no brakes. The truck I towed it home was not my usual truck. My other truck has a brand new brake controller. I already got the fluid film. Good idea!

FearThisDeere
08-07-2006, 05:58 PM
Here is an update. I took the trailer for a drive today and this is what I noticed: The brake drums on the right side got hot to the touch after a few miles, the left ones did not get as hot and took a few more miles to warm up. I checked and checked the wiring and it is all right now. So what is the next thing that it could be. Wheel bearings?

FearThisDeere
08-09-2006, 08:43 AM
Bump!!!!!!!!!

grass_cuttin_fool
08-09-2006, 01:50 PM
MAybe wheel bearings, some one may have thought the wheel had to much play in it and tighten the nut up too much

wayne

FearThisDeere
08-09-2006, 09:16 PM
So here is the deal with the trailer, maybe this will help. The trailer is a 1986. It was stored in a heated garage on jack stands for the last ten years. Would the wheel bearings have gone bad in that long length of time? would they cause the wheels and brake drums to get hot?

muddstopper
08-09-2006, 10:44 PM
My guess is that one side of the brakes could be adjusted tighter than the other side, hench one side getting hotter that the other. Or, if it has been setting for 10 years, brake drums could be rusty, Or, the grease has dried out and needs to be repacked. I would certainly check the grease first, if the bearings need repacked, you can inspect the brake drum while you have them off repacking the bearings.

jim dailey
08-10-2006, 10:16 AM
My guess is that one side of the brakes could be adjusted tighter than the other side, hench one side getting hotter that the other. Or, if it has been setting for 10 years, brake drums could be rusty, Or, the grease has dried out and needs to be repacked. I would certainly check the grease first, if the bearings need repacked, you can inspect the brake drum while you have them off repacking the bearings.

Put the trailer up on blocks, and take the wheels off. Next, the drums. NOW, check the bearings and races for wear and for grease (the cheapest and most important form of maintenance). If you don't know what you are looking for, wrap them in a rag and visit a local mechanic and/or auto parts store. Get their opinion on the condition. While the wheels are off, look at the condition of the inside of the drums, and the condition of the shoes and the magnets on the electric brakes. They should ALL be wearing evenly. Check to make sure that ALL hardware pieces are intact. Repair/replace as needed. If you need further help, let us know. I am in the process of repairing/replacing all electric brake assemblies on my 20' enclosed, for a one-way trip to Florida. I have dual 8,000 lb. Dexter's to contend with. There is NO substitte for good brakes and ample grease. Let us know how you make out...JIM.

FearThisDeere
08-12-2006, 09:49 AM
Thanks for all the advice. I'll do that when I get to it. This is my weekend off. Gone fishin'...:drinkup: :drinkup: :drinkup: :drinkup: