PDA

View Full Version : blades not lifting grass well

cartec01
07-07-2006, 09:26 PM
Hello,
I have a new Ferris is1500. I absolutley love the machine. The problem that I have is this....

When I am cutting grass, depending on how I feel and how long the grass is I cut between 2.5" to 3" high, usually taking off 1/2 -3/4 of an inch, each time I mow. When my front caster wheels role over the grass it naturaly pushes the grass down. My problem is that it seems my mower has a hard time lifting the grass back up to cut it, so it leaves longer grass where my caster wheels rolled over it. The result is strips of longer grass through-out the yard. This has happened since spring when the mower was new. I have cleaned out the bottom of the deck the best I could but it makes no difference. It did the same thing when I demo'd it, but the grass was wet at the time so I though that had something to do with it.
Just for fun, I went into a mulch bed with the deck running, and it really did not do anything, unlike my X series Deere that relocate all the mulch to the yard. :)
Any ideas on how to make this better? I was thinking about different blades but I wouldn't know what to get.
Thanks for all your help and expertise.
Dave

Audrey
07-07-2006, 09:29 PM
Hi lift blades will help. It will give you more vacumn under the deck. This stands the grass up for more efficient cutting.

A

ProStreetCamaro
07-07-2006, 09:38 PM
Sounds like you need to repitch the deck. It sounds like it has to much pitch which causes the vacume to escape the back of the deck. You might want to measure it and see where it is set. If its more than 1/4" higher in the back then it is pitched to much. You want 1/8" to 1/4" as a general rule of thumb. Perfectly level will give you the maximum amount of vacume but it can also cause some blow out in the front of the deck. also use high lift blades if it didnt already come with them.

cartec01
07-07-2006, 09:46 PM
Wow, I had no idea there was a "pitch" factor. I'll check that right away. Also, high lift blades sounds like the ticket for me also, do you have any good places I could get them?
Thank you so much for you super fast responses.
Dave

mcwlandscaping
07-07-2006, 09:50 PM
adjust the pitch right, and itll give you one heck of a stripe even without a stripe kit, at least on cool season grasses

ProStreetCamaro
07-07-2006, 10:01 PM
Wow, I had no idea there was a "pitch" factor. I'll check that right away. Also, high lift blades sounds like the ticket for me also, do you have any good places I could get them?
Thank you so much for you super fast responses.
Dave

It can be tricky to get the pitch set just right. The ground has to be completely level. Lower the deck to about 3.5" and turn one outside blade so the tip is in the very front and the very back. Measure the blade tip in the front from the tip to the ground and write it down. Then do the same for the back of the blade. Do this on both sides of the mower. 1/8th to 1/4" is where you want your pitch to be. This will also tell you if your height indicator is correct. If you set it on 3.5" then the tip of your blade when faceing forward should be 3.5" off the ground.

Also your mower should have come with high lift blades brand new. Call and ask your dealer if it came with high lift blades. Every mower I have ever heard of comes stock with high lifts. Also what size is your mower? The smaller the deck the less pitch you want.

Audrey
07-07-2006, 10:08 PM
Every mower I have ever heard of comes stock with high lifts.

Both of my Tigers came from factory with regular blades.

A

cartec01
07-07-2006, 10:10 PM
Ok, I measured for the pitch on the deck on my garage floor. The blade is about 16" long. On the front of the blade at the cutting tip (with the blade positioned from front of mower to back of mower) with the deck all the way up I get 4-5/8". on the back side (toward the back of the mower) at the cutting tip I get 4-7/8". I moved the mower forward in the garage a couple of feet and re measured and got the same numbers. (my floor is pretty straight.) I only checked the discharge side because I wasn't smart enough to think to do the other side also. :)
Also, speaking of stripping, this thing does not do much, but neither did my deere. As a matter of fact, even using my lawn sweeper doesn't stripe well, so maybe it is because of the grass I have in Northern IL. I have no idea what kind of grass it is, but I do plan on overseeding this fall with something good.

cartec01
07-07-2006, 10:11 PM
oh, yeah, I'll ask the dealer about the blades because I would have no idea how to tell if they are high lift or not. It is a 48" Ferris is1500.

ProStreetCamaro
07-07-2006, 10:15 PM

A

That figures because I have never seen a scag cut very good (and please dont take that the wrong way). Ours sucks but if you have 2 you obviously like them alot and thats all that matters!

ProStreetCamaro
07-07-2006, 10:22 PM
Also, speaking of stripping, this thing does not do much, but neither did my deere. As a matter of fact, even using my lawn sweeper doesn't stripe well, so maybe it is because of the grass I have in Northern IL. I have no idea what kind of grass it is, but I do plan on overseeding this fall with something good.

Speaking of your stripes would you say they are lighter than these? These are on our Cub Tank M48 that comes from the factory with stripeing rollers. You may want to look into getting a set for your mower if you want better stripes.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v426/prostreetcamaro/Tankstripes007.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v426/prostreetcamaro/Tankstripes004.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v426/prostreetcamaro/Tankstripes009.jpg

TLS
07-07-2006, 11:23 PM
cartec01,

What are your engine RPM's?

Buy a cheap tachometer (Sendec or equivalent) and use it.

You should be 3600RPM while mowing grass or 3750 free load.

I'll bet this is the problem.

cartec01
07-08-2006, 06:14 PM
Those stripes are much nicer then mine. Basically, when I try to stripe in any direction, you can barley tell I even tried.
As for the RPM's, I'll try to find one of those tacs. The RPM's do sound pretty high like most other mowers I have seen, but yet I am no trained pro in the art of RPM listening skills.

cartec01
07-08-2006, 06:16 PM
Also, about the stripes. I have used my sweeper, lawn roller, and even a pipe filled with concrete behind my deere. I don't know what gives. :)

ProStreetCamaro
07-09-2006, 12:00 AM
Also, about the stripes. I have used my sweeper, lawn roller, and even a pipe filled with concrete behind my deere. I don't know what gives. :)

It may be the type of grass your cutting. What mower do you have exactly?

cartec01
07-10-2006, 07:33 PM
I have a Ferris IS1500 48" ZTR

cartec01
07-22-2006, 06:28 PM
Ok, so far I have adjusted the deck so the the back and front are almost even with the blades running front to back. The back is about 1/32" to 1/16" higher then the front on both left and right sides. Also, I bought a Sendec tach and installed it. The freeload rpm's are about 1500-1550 and with the deck on they are about 1400 and while cutting about 1/2" of the tops of the lawn they are about 1380. I made sure everything was well greased, and the throttle cable is opening the carb all the way.
I mowed the lawn a couple days ago to 2 3/4" from about 3 1/2". It was starting to drizzle but the lawn was only damp at the time. In an effort to beat the rain I pretty much ran full speed (never had gone full speed before)and there was quite a bit of uncut grass. I wouldn't say a lot, but it was noticeable. Also, as I said before, you can just tell it is not lifting much underneath. I can almost mow right over the mulch beds with-out but trouble. It does seem to throw the grass a good distance out the discharge though.
Again, I have no idea if the original blades are high-lift or not, but if you all recommend a decent blade I will buy them right away and try it out. I don't want to start a discussion (argument) over which blade is better between you all, but a good high lift blade will do.
Thank you so much for the help so far.
Dave

ProStreetCamaro
07-22-2006, 06:44 PM
Those rpm's can not be right. Thats not even half of what your engine should be running. You should be about 3,600 to 3,700 with no load and 3,600 under full load. Are you sure you have the tach set up right? If those are your real rpm's then thats your problem. Hell thats almost idle speed on my 23 kaw.

And if you want a good high lift then get the Oregon fusion blades.

tacoma200
07-22-2006, 07:02 PM
That figures because I have never seen a scag cut very good (and please dont take that the wrong way). Ours sucks but if you have 2 you obviously like them alot and thats all that matters!
The new deck from Scag (velocity) has better reviews than any deck mentioned on Lawnsite lately along with Toro's new deck. I think the older Scag decks may not have been as good. Of course Exmarks older decks got great reviews but they messed up. Audrey, are you sure you Scag came with regular pitch blades. Most mowers come standard with high lifts including my Exmarks, Hustler, and Grasshopper. Thats all I will run exept during fall (gators).

tacoma200
07-22-2006, 07:05 PM
Sounds like you need to repitch the deck. It sounds like it has to much pitch which causes the vacume to escape the back of the deck. You might want to measure it and see where it is set. If its more than 1/4" higher in the back then it is pitched to much. You want 1/8" to 1/4" as a general rule of thumb. Perfectly level will give you the maximum amount of vacume but it can also cause some blow out in the front of the deck. also use high lift blades if it didnt already come with them.
If high lifts don't take care of the problem let the dealer set your deck up unless you feel confident in doing it yourself. Easy to mess up if you don't know what settings are reccomended. Good luck.

cartec01
07-22-2006, 08:21 PM
I am very sorry, for rpm's I ment to say 3500-3550, 3400, and 3380. Sorry about that, I think if it was maxing out at 1500 I would have more problems. :)

Travis Followell
07-22-2006, 09:11 PM
It may be hard to find a hi lift blades for your mower because your 48" deck requires an odd size blade. 16 15/64" long. A slightly longer blade would be fine as long as the blades didn't hit each other or hit the baffles. You wouldn't want one any shorter than that because it may cause streaking. Go to the mowparts.com page in the sponsor section and post and they may be able to find a hi lift blade to fit your machine.

Audrey
07-22-2006, 09:48 PM
Audrey, are you sure you Scag came with regular pitch blades. Most mowers come standard with high lifts including my Exmarks, Hustler, and Grasshopper. Thats all I will run exept during fall (gators).

Heya tacoma!

Yep! Both mowers. I've bought and used high lifts, but from the dealers both machines were standard. They even had Scag stamped on them.

If I run three high lifts on the 23/52, I have a miserable day.

Dealers pull a switcheroo maybe?

A

tacoma200
07-22-2006, 09:52 PM
Heya tacoma!

Yep! Both mowers. I've bought and used high lifts, but from the dealers both machines were standard. They even had Scag stamped on them.

If I run three high lifts on the 23/52, I have a miserable day.

Dealers pull a switcheroo maybe?

A
I rarely run any thing but high lifts. They work better on the mowers I've had but I haven't run a Scag much. I have to scrape the deck once a week on the Exmark but it sure leave a smooth cut. See ya. Tacoma

ProStreetCamaro
07-22-2006, 10:15 PM
I am very sorry, for rpm's I ment to say 3500-3550, 3400, and 3380. Sorry about that, I think if it was maxing out at 1500 I would have more problems. :)

:laugh: I was going to say at those rpm's i dont even think it would cut hardly anything. :laugh:

Pro-Scapes
07-22-2006, 11:13 PM

A

ditto tho on our z master. Hi lifts or mulchers were optional. I thought it was supposed to come with highlift blades but standard lift blades were installed and quickly swapped out in favor of gators. Its time to repitch ours too. Alot of our yards are less than smooth and it will come out of adjustment some. Getting alot of blowout.

This week we are going to take some 1" bar stock and make slugs are specific lenghts to make adjusting very simple and easy. No more trying to read a measuring tape while under the mower.

Going to make 2 of em 3 inch and 2 of em 3.25. hopefully this works well

TLS
07-23-2006, 02:25 PM

You NEED to adjust these RPM's up.

3750 free load.

At least 3600 while mowing normal growth at normal speeds.

SproulsLawnCare
07-23-2006, 04:14 PM
I'll take the risk of sounding like an idiot, but check a second time to be sure that the blades are on the right way.
I must have been tired one day early this spring, and installed one of the blades up-side down. It still cut some of the grass off as was evident from the discharge and all, but it did a lousy job. It was my first week out with the new (to me) machine, and I was beginning to wonder if I had gotten a lemon. I thought I would try changing the blades again, and found my stupid mistake. The vacuum was messed up with one of the blades being up-side down and it was only clipping off the very tips of the grass and mostly pushing it to the ground.

Travis Followell
07-23-2006, 07:42 PM
You NEED to adjust these RPM's up.

3750 free load.

At least 3600 while mowing normal growth at normal speeds.
According to Ferris the maximum no load rpm should be 3650. I know this because the rpm was a little low on our Ferris machine and I called them to see what it was supposed to be.

ProStreetCamaro
07-23-2006, 09:49 PM
According to Ferris the maximum no load rpm should be 3650. I know this because the rpm was a little low on our Ferris machine and I called them to see what it was supposed to be.

Yup but nobody goes by that. Our Cub Tank with 23 Kaw free loads at 3,800 and 3,650 with the blaedes on and mowing.

TLS
07-24-2006, 09:46 AM

3650, 3750, 3800....whatever it takes to get this guys MOWING-THE-GRASS RPM's to at least 3600.

cartec01
07-25-2006, 07:03 PM
Ok, if anybody can tell me how to up the rpms I will try that. I can say right now the carb is opening as far as it will go. There is a factor installed "stop" so the lever won't move any farther.

cartec01
07-25-2006, 07:15 PM
I am refering to the lever on the carb, not the throttle lever. Also, since I put the mower in the Spring, I have usually gone pretty slow when mowing because I really enjoy doing a good job. Today, the grass is about 4" and I was cutting to 3". I decided, since it is nice and dry today, to try to go faster. At 1/2 to 3/4 spped of the mower it leaves a lot of uncut grass behind, not just where the caster wheels go. The dealer has not called me back yet, but this thing should cut better then that.

cartec01
07-25-2006, 07:48 PM
Ok, I just got off the phone with the dealer. They called Ferris earlier and Ferris said they are High lift blades. Maybe there was a mistake, I don't know. I did notice that the cutting edge's on the blades seem very dull, I don't think I could cut my finger if I tried my best. Seems strage though since they were new in the spring, and I only have an acre with no rocks or sticks. Anyway, I don't know if the blades being dull would prevent lift. I am just going to try to find some other blades and see what happens. But if someone could tell me how to up the rpm's to where they should be that would be great. :)

Travis Followell
07-25-2006, 07:55 PM
One thing you may want to do before you turn the rpm's up is check to make sure your throttle cable is tight. On our machine we have to tighten it up daily. If the little bracket that keeps the cable tight is just a little loose the outer part of the cable will slide instead the inner part and it won't open the govenor up enough.

If your cable is tight then their should be some type of adjusting screw on the govenor linkage. You should be able to increase the rpm's by turning this screw clockwise.