PDA

View Full Version : Help - Hydro Quit!!

bushbow
07-07-2006, 09:59 PM
OK Mower Medic diagnosed my lame solenoid issue and she was running and mowing like a champ but just as I was wrapping up she quit moving???

No forward or reverse at all! Matter of fact the motor is reving rather high as if something totally disengaged but there was no noise of anything breaking or and indication anything happened except no more GO.

I am guessing belt but have no clue how a hydro works. It is a 15 horse Briggs motor on a Ranch King mower with a 42" cut and hydro tranny - Not sure what year it is as I bought it used. It was getting dark when it stopped so I did not have much chance to take a good look at what might have happened but there is no busted belt laying on the ground or anything thatobvious to point a finger at. Where should I start loooking?

Thanks for any help.

Bob Urban

dcondon
07-07-2006, 10:05 PM
I would check the belt from the hydros to the engine first. If thats not it check the hydro oil and lines. Good Luck!!!

MowerMedic77
07-08-2006, 07:17 AM
Hey Bob, I would check the engine to hydro belt also inspect the tensioner used to tighten that belt, may have just jumped off the pulleys and not broken. Not being familiar with this brand of mower does it have a hydro oil reservoir that you can see what the oil level is?

bushbow
07-08-2006, 09:35 PM
Thanks guys - I will do some poking around with it tomorrow. I had no chance to look today because of other obligations. I am pretty sure it will be a belt issue as there was no build up to it quiting and as soon as it quit the moter revs higher, like a big portion of drag was relieved. I will also check for oil issues and report back my results.

This site and the MowerMedic are a life saver.

Thanks - Bob Urban

bushbow
07-09-2006, 10:01 PM
OK - I had time to look it over today and found a tension spring had broke - Stretched it out a bit and bent a little hook into the bad end - re-connected it and we are mowing like a champ. Pretty rusty though and it looks like the belts are pretty worn as well. Eventually will replace the spring and belts but was good to get it going for free.

Thanks for the input - Bob Urban