PDA

View Full Version : hanger in side of rear tire

timmac
07-07-2006, 11:26 PM
Can you plug the side of a super z rear tire? A hanger somehow puctured the side of my tire this evening. Also, is there anything to put in the tires to make them more durable?
thanks

topsites
07-07-2006, 11:36 PM
The technical answer is no, but...

About 2 months ago, my 100-dollar trailer tire caught a nail towards the side, it was still on the tread but it was beside the radial lining.

Technically speaking, you're not supposed to be able to plug where there is no lining, even non-radial tires have a lining.

But I got a 100-dollar tire here so you know what I'm feeling, so I put a plug in it real careful, and it held. No drilling or boring out the hole, just plopped it in there real nice and slow. And you have to do it yourself, most mechs will refuse. 2 months later, I've hauled some heavy stuff since and I got 50psi in it.

So you can try it, you got nothing left to lose, but be careful because the hole will grow bigger real easy and then you're up a creek. Go nice and slow, just drive it in there far as you can and then pull the tool back out all nice and easy, you won't have no problem getting it to go in, but don't spread the hole no further.

Another solution you might can try is an inner tube, depends, dunno...

As for what to put in it: Slime.

DLCS
07-07-2006, 11:41 PM
i wouldn't hesitate plugging the sidewall of a mower tire. But plugging a sidewall of a tire that is used on the road is UNSAFE! Topsites I hope that tire never blows out on you and gets you or someone else in a accident.

David Haggerty
07-07-2006, 11:47 PM
I've had sidewall plugs in mower tires hold. But I'd order a new tire just in case. Here's who I buy from:

http://shop.cedarrapidstire.com/index.asp

BTW I've never tried one of the newer plugs that go into a tire from the inside. The kind with a head on it. They may hold permanently.

Good luck with it.

Dave

captken
07-07-2006, 11:57 PM
I have plugged several [mower tire] sidewalls and have had no problem.
My Hustler Hydro walk has had a plug on the [inside] rear tire sidewall for about 3 years now. It doesn't leak.
I have plugged a Turf Master rear tire on the Hustler Z on the [outside] and have had good sucess.

Be sure to trim the excess material from the plug so there is not a lot hanging out. I got into something and the plug that was on the [outside] of the Turf Master worked loose and leaked and I had to redo it. It lasted until I got new tires last month.

I go to NAPA to buy good quality plugs. I try to keep a good asortment of varing sizes.

Precision
07-08-2006, 12:00 AM
I have a sidewall plug in my mower tire. It has been there since last season. I just used plug glue to lube the plug and pushed it in and waited for the glue to set. About an hour. then filled it up. I have had no problems since.

Now on a car tire, NEVER.

jimmbo407
07-08-2006, 12:30 AM
I had a similar size piece of wire get into my side wall of my ZTR. I used a can of fix a flat just to get through the day. I was going to plug the tire at the end of the day and could not find were the puncture was. That was this spring and it has held since. I do think about it alot. I am thinking of putting new tires on. I am sure it will be a mess when I change them, from the fix a flat.

Fixing a sidewall on a low pressure low speed mower will be fine.

timmac
07-08-2006, 01:24 AM
It leaked out really fast. The hanger is still in the tire. Will the local tire shop put a plug in it or is it easy to do yourself. I have never plugged one myself. And what should I put in it to help with future punctures.

o-so-n-so
07-08-2006, 01:28 AM
Install an inner tube....or one of the above.

timmac
07-08-2006, 01:30 AM
This might be dumb, but where can I get an inner tube for the tire? thanks

Tharrell
07-08-2006, 06:21 AM
Have you tried your dealer?

Precision
07-08-2006, 06:56 AM
go to discount auto parts or equivalent. buy a plug kit. use some elbow grease and learn how to plug. If it were not for plugs I would be buying at least one tire per week. Should take about 5 minutes. I prefer the "T" handle tools in the kits.

dfor
07-08-2006, 08:14 AM
It leaked out really fast. The hanger is still in the tire. Will the local tire shop put a plug in it or is it easy to do yourself. I have never plugged one myself. And what should I put in it to help with future punctures.

Plugging a tire is a piece of cake. Pull out the hanger. Insert the t-handle rasp that comes with the kit. Insert plug with the t-handle insertion tool. I wouldn't hesitate to plug a sidewall of a mower tire. But not a road tire.

TLS
07-08-2006, 08:23 AM
Don't TUBE it. Plug it. Had the same thing happen to me a couple years ago. Plug held just fine.

I too wish they made these tires tougher. Thicker, stronger, and a harder compound. They're WAY too soft of a compound.

ATVracer
07-08-2006, 08:26 AM
There is also a product called Tireballs that us ATV racers use that will keep the tires inflated in case of a flat. They are pricey so I doubt anyone would want to buy them for a mower. They hold the tires shape so well you wouldn't even know you had a flat. If anyone is interested do an internet search on them.

LwnmwrMan22
07-08-2006, 08:31 AM
go to discount auto parts or equivalent. buy a plug kit. use some elbow grease and learn how to plug. If it were not for plugs I would be buying at least one tire per week. Should take about 5 minutes. I prefer the "T" handle tools in the kits.

Make sure you get the "T" handle set, not a cheapo set.

You'll be able to plug much easier.

It's a set that the handles look like a "T". Usually the store will have both, the "T" set being $2-3 more.

Likestomow
07-08-2006, 10:50 AM

Sidewall punctures are difficult to seal because they withstand so much flexing. I have had success installing a plug in a sidewall, but only after I also installed Slime. What I did was put in the reccommended amount for the size of the tire, inflated, and then, with the tire off the machine, tilted the tire so the plug was at the lowest point (facing down). This way any leakage would force the Slime through the opening and seal the leak. If it isn't too big of a hole, you should be okay.

ProMo
07-09-2006, 10:09 AM
I had a 1/2" hole in the side of my dc tire and stuck about 8 plugs in the hole it held for 3 years

copeblk
07-09-2006, 12:18 PM
my family has a dairy farm and a tire repair business, mostly tractor, like what was posted earlier, not if it was for road use but definatly for a mower. and insted of just a plug, they make a plug patch, you have to take the tire off and insert it through the hole( from inside out) and then there is a patch that helps seal the inside of the tire. tru this before, putting a tube in because when you just put a tube in the hole(if big enough) will flex on the botton and pinch the tube---- hole in tube. if you do go with a tube put a patch over the hole on the inside( tire patch, not tube patch-- two different kinds) to prevent pinching. hope this helps

lawnmaniac883
07-09-2006, 02:25 PM
Go to your favorite auto parts store -- autozone or the equivalent. Go to the tire repair section and buy yourself a tire plugging kit, this will come with a T handle rasp, a tool to insert the plug, a couple of plugs and some rubber cement. Plugging a tire is really a piece of cake.

rodfather
07-09-2006, 07:34 PM
Round patch with cement on the inside of the tire is another option after ya pull the hanger out.

PowerEquipmentWarehouse
07-09-2006, 11:01 PM
Inner tubes are readily available for most (if not all) mower tires. Just make sure you get all THREE numbers (e.g.: 23 X 10.50/12) off the tire when you go to get the tube. Most dealers should have the common ones in stock.....Mike

Idealtim
07-09-2006, 11:07 PM
I had a old bobcat 36'' wb belt. There must of been eight plugs in the tires. Didn't have to put a pound of air in it in two years. The guy before me must have the right idea!

brucec32
07-10-2006, 07:31 AM
It's not like a car tire where you'd risk a blowout and crash. I plugged a sidewall puncture on a 23" ZTR tire and it lasted for years w/ no problems.