PDA

View Full Version : dog **** !

SpikeGT
07-08-2006, 12:05 AM
Do any of you charge extra for people with with dog **** in there yard? I'm tired of trying to mow around it, not to mention the smell if it gets on your tires. I think I'm gonna add a surcharge if they continue to not pick up there dog's ****.

TheLawnBarber
07-08-2006, 12:20 AM
I'm thinking about asking I'll pick your little precious's turds for a buck or two a turd.

dcondon
07-08-2006, 11:46 PM
It's not fun but we just deal with it!!!!:cry:

Freddy_Kruger
07-09-2006, 12:01 AM
I found once I got 25 customers in my first year I want to get rid of 5 of them for reasons other than price. Next year I'll see if I can avoid bad lawns during the estimate phase.

jimmbo407
07-09-2006, 12:31 AM
When I give an bid on a property I ask about a fence and a yard. Dosgs and fences usally go hand in hand. I add 5.00 for each. I usally am told no because of my price. It makes the ones that say yes worth it. It also pays for the time it takes to clean the tires before putting the mowers away. Hope that helps.

K.Carothers
07-09-2006, 02:49 AM
I hate dog crap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's a slap in the face to me when I run over that sh*t.

If a customer does not have the intellect to understand that we are cutting and the **** is flying then they are not a customer for long.

Last to be cut.
Quickest job
Basically, they are the I don't give a **** lawn...

kc

deerbutcher
07-09-2006, 10:25 AM
If you give a bid on a lawn that you know that a dog will use as his toilet and don't include a little extra for it, then you shouldn't complain about it. If the dog comes along after you establish service, then you need to talk to the owner about cleaning the dog's mess, charge extra, or drop him because of it.

topsites
07-09-2006, 10:47 AM
Next year I'll see if I can avoid bad lawns during the estimate phase.

Bingo LOL but let me tell you something just from my own experience:

- First off, avoiding the problem in the first place is a BIG bonus. No doubt about it, I must've walked away from at least a half dozen problems like that this year... No, we're not talking the lawns we could restore, we all know these people will never spend a dime to try and make it look better and the lawn is a POS at best to begin with.
- But, you still get stuck with some, it appears to a point unavoidable, if you want the numbers then you have to take on a few for one, for another I found you just don't always see it. Oh yeah, I have a few myself, even now, yup.

Conclusion: For me, I definitely look for the bs and will either walk away OR charge extra for it. The longer I do this type of work, the more I want to charge for the serious bs, whether it be poop or tons of dirt, or rocks and steep hills or whatever, if it's the type of yard I know NO other Lco in their right mind would do, I will and do charge more than the standard rate, sometimes a lot more.

One of two things happen at the estimate phase when I charge extra:
- They basically say No and I'm free to go.
- Some agree to pay for it, more than a few say ok, if reluctantly, but they agree.
So, why not get paid for it.
One other thing I'm gearing towards is charging a LOT more for pos yards, say $45 for a $30 lot, then put some of that money towards credit... Say I cut this POS lot 10 times this year and I can put 5-10 dollars towards the customer's account as a credit, that's $75 right there. Might take 2 years before it builds to $150 but then what I do is one year sell them a Full lawn restore for only 150 extra (which +150 you already have = 300) and blam, I core aerate / seed / etc, etc, and they have their beautiful lawn and everyone's happy.

Damian
07-09-2006, 12:03 PM
We recently sent notice to a customer that if it wasn't picked up, we wouldn't mow the backyard. They only have one dog, but it's fairly large and likes to stick close to the walls/fences.

We'll find out tomorrow if I get to work a shorter day...

dglyder97
07-10-2006, 01:11 AM
We actually offer canine waste removal as a service with our advertising. i know it sucks ass to pick up dog @#$^, but its $$$$. if its a lawn customer we usually charge $8.00 since we are already there to cut the lawn.

garth1967
07-10-2006, 02:46 AM
I hate dog crap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's a slap in the face to me when I run over that sh*t.

If a customer does not have the intellect to understand that we are cutting and the **** is flying then they are not a customer for long.

Last to be cut.
Quickest job
Basically, they are the I don't give a **** lawn...

kc

excatly .i often ask these people ,where in my add does it mention dog poo

i have stopped mowing peoples yards where the dogs go nuts when im there.if they likes me and i can chain him up or put him away i will tolerate that but thats it

WJW Lawn
07-10-2006, 10:52 AM
I have a back yard that has more turds than a Pet Smart, and the lady tells me she wants the back short so she can find the turds and scoop em....yet everytime i go there are more and more turds. It's literally so bad I get ill in my stomach. So...she pays twice what I would normally charge for a yard her size. I hate TURDS!

LawnBrother
07-10-2006, 04:31 PM
I ask everyone UP FRONT if they have dogs and if yes then I explain that I expect the $hit to be picked up. One of my customers actually ran outside when I pulled up as said, "Wait just a minute while I clean up the yard!" Yes, it was amusing to stand there while my customer went around and picked up dog crap, but she's one in a million hahahaha. Stepping in a pile now and then is part of the job, but if it is bad, then they get a call. After 2 calls if the problem persists, c-ya! Sometimes depending on my mood I won't say anything, I just mow AROUND the turds, and, lo and behold, they get the message and next week the lawn is turd free......

batdaddy044
07-16-2006, 02:43 AM
Get a bungee cord-raise the discharge chute-run over said turds and fire 'em right at their house-if they don't get the hint then-we will NOT see them next year.At the end of such a day ,mower decks are washed out-blades handled with gloves-then sharpened.We do try to avoid this type property,and thankfully , the State of Delaware does require that pet owners clean up after their animals-most of our clients are responsible enough to follow this law.

David Haggerty
07-16-2006, 01:59 PM
My son came back to the truck asking me "Do I have any brown **** on my face?" I said "Like what?" He answered "Brown ****! Like dog ****! He'd been weedeating and hit a semisoft turd.
I looked him over and told him, "You have a little fleck under your nose."
He washed off but it wasn't enough. He said "You know, I kind of hate to swallow." Then he found some more on his shorts. End of the day.
He's a big man, not afraid of anything, but he has kind of a weak stomach.

He said "I should have washed off in their pool." I replied 'Next time just throw the **** into the pool." (I don't think he will 'cause he won't touch it.)

I remarked "It's only funny from over here." He agreed.