PDA

View Full Version : Dual axel rear tires are shot

Nathan 281
07-08-2006, 12:10 AM
I have a dual axel trailer that has 5000 miles on it and the rear tires have no tread left. all city driving with lots of corner backing and turning. Trailer is mostly level maybe 1-2” higher in the front theirs about 300-500 lbs on the truck the brakes are turned up high because it gets hard to stop at 60 mph I can feel a jerk when it comes to a complete stop (even though I roll through most stop signs) Am I doing something wrong here or is this to be typical?

I am thinking of going to a single axel how much will ride quality and other things suffer?

milsaps118
07-08-2006, 02:29 AM
I bought my enclosed tandem trailer new in '04 and I had the exact same problem with the rear tires wearing prematurely. With only 500mi They wore really bad on the inner side of the tread, I thought it was because I had to much air in 'em and that I wasn't distributing weight evenly so I changed a few things but the problem was still their. I contacted the dealer hoping it would be covered under warranty and the best they could do for me was pro-rate the the tread ware and I had to pay the difference(what a joke). Any- ways I took it to the place where I bring my trucks for service and had them balance all the tires considering that trailer tires typically don't get balanced and that solved all my problems. Give it a try I think this should solve your issue. I burned through a set of tires(4) in less than 2000mi on that trailer.

General Landscaping
07-08-2006, 10:00 AM
all city driving with lots of corner backing and turning.
Let someone back and turn the trailer while you watch what is happening to the tires & wheels.
The amount of twist and grind on a tandem is amazing on tight, loaded turns.

Dirty Water
07-08-2006, 01:41 PM

I agree, the first time I backed our 20x6 tandem loaded I thought the rear axle wheel bearings were shot the way the tires were leaning.

PTP
07-08-2006, 01:45 PM
If these are 'trailer' tires, this will greatly affect the problem as well as they are very poor quality.

I have gone through 2 tires on one side of my trailer (single axle) with new trailer tires. The other side has a passenger car type tire on it - looks almost as good as the day I put it on.

lawnspecialties
07-08-2006, 04:46 PM
Make sure the air pressure is at the high end as well. Low air pressure plus weight has killed trailer tires for me in the past.

stumper1620
07-08-2006, 05:52 PM
Let someone back and turn the trailer while you watch what is happening to the tires & wheels.
I agree
This is the Cause of premature wear on a rear axle.
Just do a wide turn on new or nice clean concrete and look at the trail of rubber you leave behind. amazing to see how much wear a normal turn can cause let alone a lot of sharp ones. no matter how you turn with a 2 axle, one or the other of the 2 wheels has to drag across the surface when turning.

stroker51
07-08-2006, 06:51 PM
Start rotating your tires and the problem should be solved, the turning is what is killing your back ones.

PLM-1
07-08-2006, 07:27 PM
Start rotating your tires and the problem should be solved, the turning is what is killing your back ones.
EXACTLY! :hammerhead:

Gravel Rat
07-08-2006, 10:15 PM
You should try find a rib tread light truck tire for the trailer tires something like the Hankook RH03 or the LT M/S Michelin. If your trailer tires are 14" wheels then your SOL trying to find a good tire.

RedWingsDet
07-08-2006, 10:35 PM
Mine does the same thing, buts its because the trailer sits higher in front therefore more weight on the back tires. It sucks because I can not get it to sit level on my new truck because the hitch is the kind that is just bolted to the back of the dump so theres no female end on the truck so I can get a leveler.

Luvs2Play
07-08-2006, 10:49 PM
I had bad wear on my trailer (20x8) at first. Was only on the right side. Took it back to the dealer, they had it aligned. Now have over 30,000 miles on this set of tires. They will go another 5,000 to 10,000 miles before being replaced.